Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (Demon the Descent)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
    That does seem rather obvious in hindsight. Thanks Eremite. :-)

...I hate being the kid who never stops asking questions, but I have one regarding Lares, though I can't remember if I or someone else has asked this (my apologies if it has). Technically they're Exiles and Angels, albeit ones stuck in the forms of buildings. Can a Lare thus have the opportunity to fall and become a Demon in some form?

This is a thread for questions, don't feel bad. That's one I'd leave up to the individual ST, personally.Certainly there are no official rules or guidelines.

Onyx Path Freelancer: Demon Storyteller's Guide, Dark Eras
    Storyteller's Guide Extra Material
    After the Fall: Bonus Material

Comment

• How exactly are you supposed to build a Lambda?

What determines the appearance, Virtue(s) and Vice(s) of a Patchwork Cover?

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

• Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
        How exactly are you supposed to build a Lambda?

What determines the appearance, Virtue(s) and Vice(s) of a Patchwork Cover?
        A Lambda is made by deconstructing two Gadgets, and then adding the pieces to an object to make a new Gadget with a new, amalgamated effect. However, the two effects need some synergy to work (so an effect that makes infinite bullets in a gun magazine won't work well combined with an effect that makes a device sound like someone in particular), they must be two different embeds/exploits, any limits in the two base gadgets will be present in the Lambda, and each effect that isn't an exploit must be related to the object it is being worked into like a normal Embeded gadget. You can't use One-Shots or Form gadgets for Lambdas however.

A Patchwork Cover has the same Virtue(s) and or Vice(s) a Demon would have normally, unless said Demon has Living The Lie, which allows new covers to have a new Vice and or Virtue that the Demon can act on alongside their normal one. Their appearance is partially based on the pacts they're based from (taking someone's violent gang past will almost certainly involve any tattoos or scars they gained from that time), but otherwise a Demon has a lot of free reign with what they have; they can determine the gender of the cover, hair color, skin tone and even if they're related to a particular person (if they have the right pacts of course). As noted by Baroness Nerak, the existence of child Covers implies that either a Demon acts on a Soul Pact with a child, or they can craft them through Patchwork. There was one short story where a patchwork cover from a group of humans adopted some aspect of their appearances, but it's hard to say if that's the exception or the rule.

Comment

There is one method; if the mortal is a Stigmatic with Sleeve Integrator, a Demon could wear them as a temporary cover and then apply pacts to it as a patch.
          Can a Demon grant Supernatural Merits as part of a Pact? Because then you could do a Pact that grants Sleeve Integrator and go this route.

Comment

• Do Angels and Exiles also have the ability to control their autonomous functions and tics and lie perfectly? Or is that exclusive to Demons?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Originally posted by mp122984 View Post

Can a Demon grant Supernatural Merits as part of a Pact? Because then you could do a Pact that grants Sleeve Integrator and go this route.
              A normal pact can easily do that; Supernatural Merits are actually a benefit that Demons can easily grant, along with skill dots, and mundane merits. The Sleeve Integrator aspect is more for giving someone a child, or actually adding to their past.

Comment

• Should 9-Again on Crafts gained from something like Professional Training work on rolls for creating Gadgets? Would Good Time Management work towards Gadget creation, either?

Comment

Should 9-Again on Crafts gained from something like Professional Training work on rolls for creating Gadgets? Would Good Time Management work towards Gadget creation, either?
                  Probably no on the first - unless there is a field of professional Gadget Installers. I don't see why not on the second, though, since that just represents you are more organized and efficient than most.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                  Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                    Do Angels and Exiles also have the ability to control their autonomous functions and tics and lie perfectly? Or is that exclusive to Demons?
                    Only Demons. It's a puzzling development for most unchained and God Machine processes.

Comment

• When a Demon goes up in Primum, say from their first Interlock, do they gain a permanent glitch in turn? The rules are vague, because it states that a Demon can get a permanent Glitch by going up in Primum...but the only place that references this fact is the Primum spreadsheet which shows what limits a Demon has per Primum level, and that only states 1 for when a Demon gets to Primum 6 and higher. I am very confused by this.

Comment

When a Demon goes up in Primum, say from their first Interlock, do they gain a permanent glitch in turn? The rules are vague, because it states that a Demon can get a permanent Glitch by going up in Primum...but the only place that references this fact is the Primum spreadsheet which shows what limits a Demon has per Primum level, and that only states 1 for when a Demon gets to Primum 6 and higher. I am very confused by this.
                        Not necessarily. The spreadsheet refers to permanent glitches gained from high Primum. The demon just gets those when Primum hits that number. You may still gain other permanent glitches normally such as by dramatically failing a compromise roll.

Comment

• How much can/will Demons do that isn't directly related to the God-Machine? In terms of story hooks. Not that I dislike the concept- I'm just thinking about getting the book and feeling out how versatile a Demon as a character in the wider CofD lineup is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gellydog View Post
                            How much can/will Demons do that isn't directly related to the God-Machine? In terms of story hooks. Not that I dislike the concept- I'm just thinking about getting the book and feeling out how versatile a Demon as a character in the wider CofD lineup is.
                            Depends on the Agenda. Tempters have loads to do that has nothing to do with the God-Machine. They set up cover-trading agencies, build Hell in pocket universes, set up pacts upon pacts, mow their lawns, trim their hedges, look over their shoulders...

Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
                            Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Comment

• Originally posted by Octavo View Post

Depends on the Agenda. Tempters have loads to do that has nothing to do with the God-Machine. They set up cover-trading agencies, build Hell in pocket universes, set up pacts upon pacts, mow their lawns, trim their hedges, look over their shoulders...
                              Inquisitors too. As you never know just what kind of information may be useful, better to just collect as much as you can.

But depending on the Demon and their personal ties, it is just as easy as any other character. The only real limitation is refueling is harder without a G-M presence.
                              Last edited by Vent0; 03-23-2017, 09:53 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Thanks for the replies! I don't actually play any of the games (for now); I mostly just buy the books because I enjoy a good setting and a good set of rules. There's a certain pleasure in an interesting concept presented in a slick, attractive way.

With that in mind: how awkward is the 1e/2e split manifested in Demon? I'm still not quite sure on how it's laid out the book itself. My understanding is that, rules-wise, Demon is basically 2e, but also that it was written before 2e was really a thing? The comments on drivethrurpg seem to hint that there's, like, one set of rules and then a "large" section at the back for conversions...is that converting forward or back? Or am I just totally off-base with all of this, and it's all seamless? I have Beast, which I was also worried about but is basically in line with everything 2e...

Comment

Working...
                                X