Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (Demon the Descent)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World of Darkness, page 130:
    "If it’s a tie or neither side gets any successes, the effort fails altogether or successive attempts (see p. 132) may be made in subsequent turns, if appropriate."

However, if running with 100% second edition rules there's actually no rules for ties. My group uses the rule of "defender's advantage" to determine what happens just to reduce rerolls. In this case it would be the angel who wins and the demon fails to jack the cover.

Comment

• The action is both contested as well as extended.

The contested action rules from
      Originally posted by ChroD, Pg 69:
      When two people fight over a specific goal, they engage in a contested action. You roll your dice pool and the Storyteller (or other player) rolls the dice pool for the other party. Whoever rolls the most successes is the victor.
      And from the next page under its own heading on
      Originally posted by "ChroD, Pg 70:
      Contested Actions
      When two characters are competing, and you only need to know who comes out on top, use a contested action. In a contested action, each player rolls a pool for their character (such as an Attribute + Skill pool), and the character for whom the most successes are rolled wins the contest.
      So unless the roll that got over the line for both sides tied in successes, the one with the highest number of successes that reached the goal wins. If it does tie, you could rule as either Defender wins the contested action (likely the Angel in this case) or just roll again next round to resolve the equal number of successes.

Comment

• Okay, so, it's no secret I love the idea of a Demon making a TARDIS in-game, and it's been enthused by the good Eremite that Lares were at the very least inspired by them (and that one would be the Doctor's TARDIS if he were a Demon).

This leads to a pair of questions:

Is infrastructure usually/capable of being bigger on the inside without that being its sole feature, outside of the use of boltholes? If yes;

Are Lares bigger on the inside? Or are they limited to the natural structure/mass/dimensions that an otherwise mundane building would have?

I'm trying to figure out how to make bigger-on-the-insideness function in the game (In My Pocket is winning out), if only to make a Lare...well, less conspicuous when travelling. It's all well and good to have a TARDIS!Lare that's a bar, but an entire bar vanishing and re-appearing elsewhere overnight tends to get brows raised. If it had another body/casing it could transit into, or at least reside in, which was a good deal smaller, or at least capable of changing size if not mass...

I'm not aware of any size changing embeds/exploits is all I'm saying (Quick Change probably wouldn't suffice for it).

I really need to stop posting stuff at midnight. It makes things very confusing to re-read.

Comment

• Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
          I'm not aware of any size changing embeds/exploits is all I'm saying (Quick Change probably wouldn't suffice for it).
          There is a few Demonic Form powers for that, though. Or you could just create a homebrew Exploit for that.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Can demons see into twilight ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Basic View Post
              Can demons see into twilight ?
              Not by default, I think.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

No. It is a known weakness. I suppose one in the right Ephemeral Cover could.

Comment

It's a sparse, niche ability for demons. Ephemeral Cover allows a demon to adopt a Cover as a Twilit ghost or spirit (though it affords no ability to see into Twilight on its own, meaning you have to get ghosts or spirits to manifest so that you know where to swing to eat them and make the Cover). Decoy allows the demon to project an astral Twilight form similarly to vampiric Auspex. I think the only published ability to see into Twilight while remaining material is the Ghost Sight demonic form ability, and that's assuming you're allowing material from the Demon Translation Guide. Clever use of very flexible abilities like Show of Power or Play on Words might situationally be able to look or move into Twilight.

Keep in mind "Twilight" is a category of several distinct states, and a power generally specifies which "layer" it looks or moves into. None of the above powers directly expose Twilit angels. Even the Sense the Angelic power doesn't do this, although it can detect their supernatural activity.

Comment

• Question: How intelligent/self-autonomous is the avatar produced by the Terrible Avatar exploit? Do you give it instructions and send it off, or do you maintain a constant mental link? Or is it felt as being an extension of yourself? Also, with the exceptional success option of the avatar knowing all of your embeds, does that include any known interlocks? Running my first Demon the Descent game, and would like to know. Thank you!
                    Last edited by Freric; 05-17-2017, 06:26 PM. Reason: Edit: Added in the bit about interlocks.

Comment

• Q.
                      Just to get an idea of it - are there cases when would one apply design principles of embeds? Like for example with the embed: Just Bruised: Let's say someone fires an RPG or uses some supernatural attack expected to do massive damage, but the user sees that it does literally nothing but scratch the demon: when would it be recommended to invoke a compromise roll with an embed? Is it only for specific embeds that have compromise stated as a result of failure/dramatic failure: or would there be other purposes where you would deem it just?

Comment

• I'd say whenever they are unusual. Embed are supposed to be subtle. When they no longer are, I'd say the machine takes interest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                          I'd say whenever they are unusual. Embed are supposed to be subtle. When they no longer are, I'd say the machine takes interest.

Interesting. I appreciate your POV on it .

Comment

• This is a minor question but why does cover cost 2xp to raise (DtD pg. 89) but take 3 cover xp to raise through pacts?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
                              This is a minor question but why does cover cost 2xp to raise (DtD pg. 89) but take 3 cover xp to raise through pacts?
                              Normal XP can be used for many things, whereas cover beats are not only just used for Cover, but they can be accrued via pacts fairly easily. The respective costs make Cover hard to boost passively and pacts require some effort, but expensive enough that a player with a glut of normal experience points can't easily boost a low Cover, and won't want to either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
                                This is a minor question but why does cover cost 2xp to raise (DtD pg. 89) but take 3 cover xp to raise through pacts?
                                Because you're looking at the pre-errata version of the book, probably; comparing the two PDFs side-by-side shows that that's one of the things that was fixed.

Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
                                Normal XP can be used for many things, whereas cover beats are not only just used for Cover, but they can be accrued via pacts fairly easily. The respective costs make Cover hard to boost passively and pacts require some effort, but expensive enough that a player with a glut of normal experience points can't easily boost a low Cover, and won't want to either.
                                Cover explicitly can't be raised with normal Experiences by default; there's a sidebar specifically addressing this on page 115.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                                Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Working...
                                X