Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (Demon the Descent)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a Demon innately know they're in a Splinter reality? Or do they need to connect the dots if they unknowingly enter one?

Comment

• Originally posted by Terrorforge View Post
      Nope, read it again. Rip the Gates opens portals to the Hedge, Shadow, Underworld and/or Astral Realms. It does not do anything else.

I did it says "The character opens the gateway into the realm of her choice" at no point does it say it only opens to the ones on the list. I thinks more convenient to just list a few and let the GM pick what other realm might be in there game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Basic View Post

I did it says "The character opens the gateway into the realm of her choice" at no point does it say it only opens to the ones on the list. I thinks more convenient to just list a few and let the GM pick what other realm might be in there game.
        The description of the exploit specifically says it can open a gate to those four planes, and then the section you quote says to "(see the sidebar for some brief information on these realms)", where it then says it can only open a rift to certain planes and then says "In brief, the realms that demons can reach with the Rip the Gates Exploit are:" then it provides a list of "realms that demons can reach" with a brief description for each.

Rip the Gates can only take you to the realms it says it can take you.

Comment

• Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
          The description of the exploit specifically says it can open a gate to those four planes, and then the section you quote says to "(see the sidebar for some brief information on these realms)", where it then says it can only open a rift to certain planes and then says "In brief, the realms that demons can reach with the Rip the Gates Exploit are:" then it provides a list of "realms that demons can reach" with a brief description for each.

Rip the Gates can only take you to the realms it says it can take you.
          Though, it should be noted, a ST can explicitly override this in their games (especially if some of those Realms don't exist, or have alternatives). But RAW, yeah, just those.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Either way I recommend not allowing this exploit to open gates to either Lower Depths, since they are supposed to be hard to get to, and the Abyss that is not a place as much as it is a phenomenon that can take the form of unimaginable creatures that simultaneously are alternate realities that never existed (unlike splinters that are realities that do exist in alternate timelines). Other exploits might very well deal with the Inferno or the Abyss, but I think those should be specific.
            Rip the Gates, on the other hand, focuses on the four realms that are naturally connected to the material and at least three of them have naturally occuring portals to them without requiring the intervention of an entity to establish the portal. (I'm not sure about the Hedge, though. I'm not familiar enough with Changeling to tell.)

Bloodline: The Stygians

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post
              Either way I recommend not allowing this exploit to open gates to either Lower Depths, since they are supposed to be hard to get to, and the Abyss that is not a place as much as it is a phenomenon that can take the form of unimaginable creatures that simultaneously are alternate realities that never existed (unlike splinters that are realities that do exist in alternate timelines). Other exploits might very well deal with the Inferno or the Abyss, but I think those should be specific.
              Rip the Gates, on the other hand, focuses on the four realms that are naturally connected to the material and at least three of them have naturally occuring portals to them without requiring the intervention of an entity to establish the portal. (I'm not sure about the Hedge, though. I'm not familiar enough with Changeling to tell.)

Hedge too, there are natural paths into it that comeone could stumble into accidently.

Comment

• So back to the question what would happen doing that ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Basic View Post
                  So back to the question what would happen doing that ?
                  A gate to the Inferno should be considered a Hellmouth. Infernal demons can try to break through by rolling Power minus 3. Any demons that succeed in entering the Oneiros will most likely do whatever they can to steer the host to the sins that the various demons resonates with. Strong ones could try to outright possess the host. All this is my interpretation of Inferno so you could just read that book if you want to know more.

A gate to the Abyss is a thing that might not be possible. As I said the Abyss isn't a realm. It's a collection of stuff that can be summed up as "anti-reality". Rather, the demon should target an Annunaki since those beings are the sub-realms of the Abyss. In that case you'd have an Abyssal Verge. And Abyssal Verges works under the rule of ST fiat. (Yes, that's basically what the Mage core book says.) In general it takes time for Acamoth and Gulmoth and other Abyssal entities to actually cross Verges so it's unlikely that the person being subject to this will be affected at all.
                  But!, once the Verge has been opened, however briefly, the Annunaki might start probing and opening it again from the other side. Or it might be quicker than usual and force an Acamoth through it while it's still open. In those cases the person's Oneiros will start becoming warped (reflecting in weird behaviour) but exactly how is impossible to say. It's the Abyss, after all.

Bloodline: The Stygians

Comment

Working...
                  X