Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (Demon the Descent)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deinos View Post

Genius idea. I totally missed that.
    Glad to help. As I've looked at it more I have realized too that you can also improve a ephemeral cover through pacts. You can make pacts with supernatural creatures after all, you just buy the connections between spirits (possibly infiltrate a spirit court) and since a supernatural being investigating your cover doesn't fray it (as long as they do not tell a mortal) you only have to worry about conflict if discovered. Ephemeral cover after all does not call out being unable to be improved with pacts - it is just easy to not see the possibility.

Comment

• If I make a pact for part of a person's life (e.g. their dog), do I need to immediately graft that element onto one of my Covers, or can I just leave it be, hanging around somewhere in the ether until I want to use it or trade it to someone else?

Comment

• Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
        If I make a pact for part of a person's life (e.g. their dog), do I need to immediately graft that element onto one of my Covers, or can I just leave it be, hanging around somewhere in the ether until I want to use it or trade it to someone else?
        I think keeping it around to trade is fine, but I don't know what happens to the dog in the meantime.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

I think keeping it around to trade is fine, but I don't know what happens to the dog in the meantime.
          This is my issue. Does the dog just vanish like a Cover not in use, so that no-one has it? Does it wander around as a stray, and then when someone makse use of it in a COver it suddenly remembers that 'this person is my owner'?

Comment

• I would say that you're stuck with the dog, even if it ends up acting as the stray you're feeding. The alternative would be to say that if you bargained for someone's family, said individuals would vanish until a demon put them to good use, and since most of the world is unaffected by the transfer, that would really stand out.

Jason Ross Inczauskis
            Freelance Writer
            Currently writing: Dark Eras 2, TC In Media Res
            Previous projects: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action (Alban, Beelzebub, Oxblood Mold, Whispering Oak); C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

• Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post
              I would say that you're stuck with the dog, even if it ends up acting as the stray you're feeding. The alternative would be to say that if you bargained for someone's family, said individuals would vanish until a demon put them to good use, and since most of the world is unaffected by the transfer, that would really stand out.
              Or it is like Soul Pacts - the traits remain with the Pactee until called on/integrated. So they have their dog until a Demon integrates it into their Cover, then it is the Demon's dog. For temporary Pacts, the elements bounce between "ownership" for the duration of use.

Comment

• I'd rule it that switching Covers simply means that the person isn't anywhere in the world, but the Cover/person themselves exist. If the cover is destroyed, any association with that cover is also gone. Switching a cover will not remove a person's house, dog or car from existence, even if they're currently with/within that thing associated with them.

Comment

• One of the best tricks for demons as written, I think, is to use a shared pool of covers that apply to whoever holds the contract, next to making use of the awesome regenerating cover that are Sleeve Integrators. That way, demons can take someone's life in shifts, for identities that don't do well disappearing for vast quantities of time. Not only can one demon be many people, many demons can be one person.

I find it kind of cool, if surreal, to imagine an Agency having safehouses where you don the provided cover and slip into the role of a beloved family member who showed up again.

Comment

• Should Good Time Management work on processes like gadget creation, or on Exploits like Raise Dead? There's nothing that says it can't in the wording, but the previous version from the Reliquary supplement does, so I'm wondering.

Comment

• Choose one:

Rule of thumb: does managing your time well significantly benefit the activity? Gadget creation, quite possibly. Raise Dead, probably not.

Rule of simplicity: it's good enough already covering natural activities, exclude supernatural activities.

Comment

• Speaking of Raise Dead, what would be the minimum time to use Raise Dead with an ally that has Swift Resolution? One day?

Comment

• Apologies if this has been asked before, but how do Angels communicate with the God-Machine? Is there a telepathic link, or do they rely on other means such as radio signals, telephone or wifi? I've not seen any real consensus on this, and the books are vague.

Comment

• Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
                            Apologies if this has been asked before, but how do Angels communicate with the God-Machine? Is there a telepathic link, or do they rely on other means such as radio signals, telephone or wifi? I've not seen any real consensus on this, and the books are vague.
                            Given the variety of angels, the breadth of Infrastructure, and the general nature of an angel's connection to the Machine, I would guess that it varies per specimen.

The set of Destroyers tasked with exterminating a renegade cryptid colony out in the woods might receive their orders by satellite linkup, while the Messenger sent to subvert a factory-spirit's cult to the Machine's purposes might order a grilled cheese from a specific diner at a particular time to read her instructions in the bill's receipt barcode.

The Guardian holding a ring of demons beneath the church's pipe-organ might follow up on a successful interrogation by tapping on the valves in a certain order, but the Psychopomp that's supposed to chip sixteen newlyweds in the middle of Times Square at 11:16 PM on December 31st would instead tell the nearest local accessories vendor an activation phrase to confirm a difficulty in procurement.

One example we do have is the hunting horns of an angelic retrieval team being perceptible as radio waves, so make of that what you will, but in general I'd say it's as weird or mundane and as direct or indirect as necessary for your story and its locale.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                            Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Can/should Exiles have Incepts?

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
                                Can/should Exiles have Incepts?
                                ...Depends? I mean, apparently, Angels have Incepts, but the God-Machine doesn't authorize their use very often. Exiles still are Angels, thus, should still have Incepts. They don't communicate with the Machine, though. Does this mean they can just use Incepts because they don't have that feedback, or that they never can* because they cannot get authorization?

* With the exception of "as a precursor to Falling".

Comment

Working...
                                X