Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (Demon the Descent)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Demons do abjuration, lacking the soul required for it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
      Can Demons do abjuration, lacking the soul required for it?
      I'm guessing no. I actually wrote a homebrew merit that enabled it, though.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Took a stab at writing up a Cover Manifestation for Angels and I'm curious as to what people think of it (or if it's even useable). Took some inspiration from the Angel-Jacking rules and the Soul Pact rules.

Cover: By spending three points of Essence, the Angel gains the Materialized Condition and is hidden behind a mask of the God-Machine’s making. Consider it a Cover with a base rating equal to the Angel’s Rank and additional dots equal to successes on the activating Power + Finesse roll. Cover is permanent unless ended and protects the Angel from Essence bleed. By spending a point of Essence, the Angel abandons their Cover and may take their true form for a number of hours up to Cover - Rank before needing to either return to Cover or take Twilight Form.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

• Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
          Took a stab at writing up a Cover Manifestation for Angels and I'm curious as to what people think of it (or if it's even useable). Took some inspiration from the Angel-Jacking rules and the Soul Pact rules.

Cover: By spending three points of Essence, the Angel gains the Materialized Condition and is hidden behind a mask of the God-Machine’s making. Consider it a Cover with a base rating equal to the Angel’s Rank and additional dots equal to successes on the activating Power + Finesse roll. Cover is permanent unless ended and protects the Angel from Essence bleed. By spending a point of Essence, the Angel abandons their Cover and may take their true form for a number of hours up to Cover - Rank before needing to either return to Cover or take Twilight Form.
          What about some text regarding how they register as human (or whatever they are) to senses that detect supernaturals? Cover is Cover, and Angels can be just as hard to spot out as Demons. It's part of why they are so scary.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• So how powerful is a pacts reality warping? Like when given back an arm as part of the deal, is all history changed to reflect this, or are there little things left out, such as medical history

Comment

• Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
              So how powerful is a pacts reality warping? Like when given back an arm as part of the deal, is all history changed to reflect this, or are there little things left out, such as medical history
              I'm not sure you can do that. Everything from pacts has to come from somewhere, its like the demon's powers nudge the right things to happen, no matter how improbable. You can heal his arm, and no history is changed, but you could do it to sweeten the pact. On to the actual question asked, not very. The example given is an abusive boyfriend. She and he both forget they were in a relationship, with the boyfriend now thinking that it was always the demon, not the pact maker. Both families are confused as to why their relative is no long in a relationship with the other, and the not loverbirds are confused, but adamant that they remember it correctly.

Comment

• How would one take on an animal as a cover? It mentions animal covers briefly, but not the particulars? For example (Totally hypothetical and just a random animal having nothing to do with the character i'm making at all.) a wolf. Could you make a soul pact with a wolf? Could you somehow use other people to patchwork yourself into a wolf? Or do you just have to wait for the right angel to come down to jack its wolf cover?

Comment

• Originally posted by HunterInTheNight View Post
                  How would one take on an animal as a cover? It mentions animal covers briefly, but not the particulars? For example (Totally hypothetical and just a random animal having nothing to do with the character i'm making at all.) a wolf. Could you make a soul pact with a wolf? Could you somehow use other people to patchwork yourself into a wolf? Or do you just have to wait for the right angel to come down to jack its wolf cover?
                  The simplest way to get an animal Cover would be to have that as your original Cover, with a human identity as your secondary Cover. You could also purchase one from the pact market, provided that you had a Storyteller willing to indulge that idea. I don’t believe that a soul pact would work, nor would patch jobs.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
                  Currently writing: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Pirates of Pugmire, TC In Media Res. Previous projects: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action; C20 Anthology of Dreams
                  Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

• Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post

The simplest way to get an animal Cover would be to have that as your original Cover, with a human identity as your secondary Cover. You could also purchase one from the pact market, provided that you had a Storyteller willing to indulge that idea. I don’t believe that a soul pact would work, nor would patch jobs.
                    Animal Covers really can't be made by demons, sadly, because they aren't sentient enough to truly agree to Pact or even to sign on the dotted line. I could see an argument made for apes that speak sign language or the very smartest parrots...

So the only options are trading it between other demons, as noted, or angel-jacking.

The sheer difficulty and rarity of animal Covers is fully intended (in part because they were introduced in a section called 'Urban Legends', in part for balance/thematic reasons) but an ST is the real God-Machine of any game and if you're the ST do what you think is coolest/best. As any demon will tel you, the rules aren't absolute. Break them and rewrite them.
                    Last edited by Eremite; 07-23-2018, 04:47 PM.

Onyx Path Freelancer: Demon Storyteller's Guide, Dark Eras, Night Horrors: Enemy Action
                    Storyteller's Guide Extra Material
                    After the Fall: Bonus Material

Comment

• I may be missing something obvious, but I'm about to play demons with my friends and we can't see any way for demons to find other demons other than to come out and say "Hi, I'm a demon." Is there any other way? Please help!

Comment

• Setting up Special Message points perhaps? The Resonance Sensitivity merit lets you tell if you're looking at a Demon too.

Comment

• In theme with the system of safe-setups for meetings, I imagine that Agencies arrange for points of notice-things that will catch the attention of newly fallen angels and will probably, eventually, investigate in ways that will be apparent to them. From there, it's a dance of experimentation and faith-building between the Agency's representatives and the fallen, until the new demon can willingly choose to get in enough to be on the roster for the first circle of communications and safe spots.

If you want to shortcut that though, remember that new demons are more prone to standing out as demons-the game assumes you've gotten past the phase of being awkward and now can play the game of the Agency, but starting from the surge of weirdness that comes with a fall to those initial moments of figuring out mortality, there's a brief period where they probably stand out, and it's easy to have a representative come in and, through the process of reining the new one in, also get them into the circle of connections.

Once first contact is well and over, it's all a matter of keeping up to date on the codewords, signals, drop boxes, couriers and safe spots of the agency, which is "simple" enough even with mundane methods-and that's before accounting for the various ways Embeds let demons improve on the network.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                          Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
                          Currently Working On: Memento Mori(GtSE)

Comment

• Has anyone ever survived to tell the tale as one of the burned? Like go on without a cover and successfully finding another

Comment

• Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
                              Can Demons do abjuration, lacking the soul required for it?
                              If they lack the soul to do so directly (it has been debated if spoof could allow it) they could mimic it with an ability like show of power. However in the text if Boltholes it refers to a demon repairing it with abjuration so because of that I'd lead to likely yes - in sone way.

The question remains, what would your integrity count as for the related mechanics.

Comment

• Hi All, obviously we have Heirs to Hell for the Children of Demons - has anyone contemplated/ Used the Children of Angels? Personally I was thinking of re-skinning Nephilim as Angelic Children in the modern day but wanted to know If there is anything already written or if someone has used them as such?

Find my Homebrew so far here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
                                So far its Demon Merits, Vampire 1e to 2e ports and a Knowledge collection mechanic for the Ordo Dracul!

Comment

Working...
                                X