Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (Demon the Descent)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would the tricks used by Whispering Oak in Enemy Action be a useful thing to play around with here? The acorns provided information to those who ate them, which was copied from other characters.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
    Currently writing: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Pirates of Pugmire, TC In Media Res. Previous projects: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action; C20 Anthology of Dreams
    Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

• What powers/merits would you give a GM cult leader?

I decided to simply make the sheriff of the small town dominated by a cult to be a high cult leader. He always wears mirror shade sunglasses to hide his stigmata of mirrored irises. He should have all the intimidation and swagger of a powerful small town sheriff with an added edge of supernatural menace. However, I'm not sure how to give him that menace. Most of the supernatural merits seem pretty tame. Do you have any suggestions as to how to make him more of a threat? Is there a way for a cult priest to curse players or afflict them?

Comment

• Originally posted by KieranMullen View Post
        What powers/merits would you give a GM cult leader?

I decided to simply make the sheriff of the small town dominated by a cult to be a high cult leader. He always wears mirror shade sunglasses to hide his stigmata of mirrored irises. He should have all the intimidation and swagger of a powerful small town sheriff with an added edge of supernatural menace. However, I'm not sure how to give him that menace. Most of the supernatural merits seem pretty tame. Do you have any suggestions as to how to make him more of a threat? Is there a way for a cult priest to curse players or afflict them?
        Well, this isn't so much a power for the sheriff himself, but you can always just say that there's some form of Infrastructure in the town that enhances him somehow (e.g. he has Influence (Intimidation) and can spend WP in place of Essence to activate it), or you could crib sorcery rules from that Mummy dark era for curses, or you could just have an Imperative or a minor Angel Fettered to him and helping him out.

Really this all depends on whether the PCs are going to be mortals or Demons. If they're Demons, I don't think there's a tremendous amount he'll be able to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by ajf115 View Post

Really this all depends on whether the PCs are going to be mortals or Demons. If they're Demons, I don't think there's a tremendous amount he'll be able to do.
          Thanks for your suggestions! I'd like him to be quite scary and unpleasant for mortals, but not so much perhaps to demons. He will be an easier challenge to them especially since he doesn't know about demons nor that the players are not simply mortals.

A malevolent and domineering sheriff in an area where cell phones mysteriously don't work would be a threat to an average mortal. He probably would have some increased resistance to demon embeds, but his deputies won't. This would give the PCs a chance to shine as well as perhaps some motivation. ("He's got Martha in jail on some trumped up drug charge! What to we do?")

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions! I'd like him to be quite scary and unpleasant for mortals, but not so much perhaps to demons. He will be an easier challenge to them especially since he doesn't know about demons nor that the players are not simply mortals.

A malevolent and domineering sheriff in an area where cell phones mysteriously don't work would be a threat to an average mortal. He probably would have some increased resistance to demon embeds, but his deputies won't. This would give the PCs a chance to shine as well as perhaps some motivation. ("He's got Martha in jail on some trumped up drug charge! What to we do?")
            Murder By Improbability until the cheese stands alone.

It'd be like the Final Destination movies from the sheriff's perspective.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Murder By Improbability until the cheese stands alone.

It'd be like the Final Destination movies from the sheriff's perspective.
              That's one way to approach it. To the extent that any deputy or sheriff are stigmatic, its effects are limited:
              If the target is touched by the supernatural in any way, however, then Murder by Improbability does not function in this manner. Instead, it makes the character extremely, possibly fatally, unlucky — but the demon still needs to nudge that character’s fate in the direction of death. (DtD p170).
              Your idea is a good one, but I don't know how much you need to know about a person for MbI to work. Does the PC have to know the victim's name? See them once? How do you play it?

The thing I like about this set-up is that it provides a nice sandbox (Small Town Dominated by Evil Cult) in which the players can learn about the gaming system and the scope of their abilities. There are dangers and the possibility of Compromise, but a clever player should be able to handle it pretty well.

Comment

• Four Minutes Ago is also good if you want a Final Destination effect; to an external viewer, it also is going to cause horrendous coincidences and so forth that kill people (or whatever else the PCs did).

Comment

That's one way to approach it. To the extent that any deputy or sheriff are stigmatic, its effects are limited:
                  Well, I was operating on the knowledge that only the Sheriff was Stigmatic for sure - deputies and other officers, maybe. MbI could winnow aware their support with fatal accidents. The Demons could make weird attacks against the remainder with Cause and Effect.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Well, I was operating on the knowledge that only the Sheriff was Stigmatic for sure - deputies and other officers, maybe. MbI could winnow aware their support with fatal accidents. The Demons could make weird attacks against the remainder with Cause and Effect.
                    I'm not criticizing - your idea is a good one. It's precisely that sort of thinking the I want my players to pursue so that they can see what works and what doesn't.

Comment

• I am prepping my first DtD game for tomorrow atm, I will run it and it's going to be a one-shot, the one from the core book ("How an angel dies").
                      I will use the characters from the ready made characters book. Right now I am realizing that they have lots of Embeds but no Exploits at all, not even in the advanced sheets. That feels odd.

Question: Should I add an Exploit per character sheet or can I just ignore them for now, given that we're all new to demon and it's a lot to take in as it is?

Comment

• I would leave it up to the players. But if you want, you could give them an exploit so that when they use one you can not only show the benefits but also the detriments (ie compromise)

Comment

• My players have never played Demon, they know little about it. So I won't ask them. And I am new to it as well, although I at least read the book. So a "well, you decide" answer does not even help me here sorry. Yes or no please:

Can I just let the Exploits be for now and still run an enjoyable, successful game of Demon?

P.S. Yes I might be overthinking this right now because I'm damn nervous about tomorrow.
                          Last edited by Wayward Isabel; 11-09-2018, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• Yes, you can run an enjoyable, successful game of Demon without Exploits.

Comment

• Seconding: Exploits are nice and dramatic, but especially starting out, using only Embeds might work better - they are more covert, and don't risk Compromise, meaning the PCs don't have to pursue Pacts to patch their Covers up as much. There are plenty of other methods to spend Aether and show-case Compromise.

Comment

• There is a linchpin to some Concealment Infrastructure hidden in a sigh-in clipboard. Anyone who signs in will be oblivious to anything unusual in the building.

What happens if to a Demon who signs in? Do they roll versus the effect? Or does Concealment Infrastructure not work on them?

Comment

Working...
                                X