Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (Demon the Descent)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concealment Infrastructure doesn't work on Demons and Stigmatics.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Is there a template for junior cultist, mid-level cultist, and high level cultist in print or elsewhere? I can use the cultists from the sample chronicle in DtD, but I think that high level/stigmatic cultists would have supernatural merits. (Yes, I can cobble them up on my own, but I've go a lot of NPC's to flesh out and a few typical mooks would be helpful).

Comment

• Closest you'll get is Mystery Cult Initiation.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• I'm pretty ignorant of the CoD ruleset, so please excuse this dumb question. Rasha, a rank 5 angel, is listed as having a Power of of 10 and a defense of 10. If for some weird reason Benny the Demon with a Strength of 4 and a Defense of 3 gets into a fist fight with Rasha, then Rasha would role 7 dice against Benny with each success registered as a point of bashing damage, and Benny has only a chance die against Rasha which can do at most one point of bashing. If Benny had a knife rated at 1L, he still only has a chance die, but if he does hit he does 2L damage (one for the die, one for the extra damage of the knife). Is this correct?

Comment

• Originally posted by KieranMullen View Post
            I'm pretty ignorant of the CoD ruleset, so please excuse this dumb question. Rasha, a rank 5 angel, is listed as having a Power of of 10 and a defense of 10. If for some weird reason Benny the Demon with a Strength of 4 and a Defense of 3 gets into a fist fight with Rasha, then Rasha would role 7 dice against Benny with each success registered as a point of bashing damage, and Benny has only a chance die against Rasha which can do at most one point of bashing. If Benny had a knife rated at 1L, he still only has a chance die, but if he does hit he does 2L damage (one for the die, one for the extra damage of the knife). Is this correct?
            I hope this blows your mind.

As an ephemeral entity, Rasha uses Power + Finesse to attack. If we're using the stats in the Chronicles book, that means he has a dicepool of 22 for attacking Benny (10 Power + 15 Finesse - 3 Defense).

But yes, Benny would likely have a chance die. To hit Rasha bare-handed they would roll Strength + Brawl - 10 (Rasha's Defense). And if he manages to hit with a 1L knife (Strength + Weaponry - Defense) he does 2 damage, but it would likely be Bashing damage, due to this rule:

'Physical attacks on a manifest entity that normally cause lethal damage only cause bashing damage unless the attack utilizes the entity’s bane. Despite appearing to the naked eye and being solid, a manifest spirit, ghost, or angel doesn’t have any internal organs to injure.'

If Benny was using Rasha's bane, it would do 2 Aggravated damage.

Ephemeral entities can get pretty powerful, and Rank 5 is the most powerful kind there's actually rules for, so Rank 5 entities tend to be 'final boss'-like in terms of power.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post

I hope this blows your mind.

As an ephemeral entity, Rasha uses Power + Finesse to attack. If we're using the stats in the Chronicles book, that means he has a dicepool of 22 for attacking Benny (10 Power + 15 Finesse - 3 Defense).
              THANK YOU! I can find so few examples of actual battle mechanics played out that I am often unsure of what is deadly and what is not. Your are of course correct that Rasha is overwhelmingly powerful - he's a Rank 5 angel. However, even Jenn (CoD p.259) who is a rank 2 angel has Power+Finesse = 8 dice which is double the 4 dice of Barroom Brawling of the World Weary PI (p.121) and comparable to the Handguns (4) + Dexterity (3) = 7 dice of the Slick Professional Grifter (p.121). I'm not complaining - its just that I didn't understand that a Rank 2 angel is punching for bashing damage comparable to the Lethal damage of a handgun armed opponent.

Comment

• In the DtD I read:
                Blast: The entity may wound opponents at a distance. Range is equal to 10 yards per dot of Power, and the entity does not suffer range penalties. If the activation roll succeeds, the Blast wounds as a lethal weapon. The entity may increase the lethality of its Blast by paying Essence — every 2 Essence spent increases the “weapon” by one lethal damage. The maximum weapon bonus is equal to the entity’s Rank.
                So for example, consider "The Brilliant" (p.220) with a Power of 9 and a Finesse of 8 and who has the Blast numen. Let's assume the target's defense is 3.
                • How many dice does he roll to attack? Power+Finesse-Defense=14? Even though the attack is ranged?
                • Is the damage of the attack equal to the number of successes?

Comment

• Originally posted by KieranMullen View Post
                  In the DtD I read:

So for example, consider "The Brilliant" (p.220) with a Power of 9 and a Finesse of 8 and who has the Blast numen. Let's assume the target's defense is 3.
                  • How many dice does he roll to attack? Power+Finesse-Defense=14? Even though the attack is ranged?
                  • Is the damage of the attack equal to the number of successes?
                  I asked this question on the RPG StackExchange and got a useful answer.

Comment

• The answer is correct, but also remember that Blast is supposed to be flavoured in some fashion. Depending on how you flavour it, it can make sense to apply Defense (if the Blast can be likened to a thrown weapon) and/or Armor (if the Blast takes the form of projectiles) to the attack even if it's not stated in the rules.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• This is more a semantics question, but this is the last paragraph for the Suborned Infrastructure Gadgets;

“Due to the connection to the God-Machine that the sub- orned Infrastructure confers to the hardware of the gadget, hacking into the subroutines used to create it is easier than normal. The player gains a +2 bonus to all rolls to investigate or reverse engineer the gadget. Lambda creation is also easier for the same reason, allowing a +2 bonus to all rolls to create a lambda using a gadget created with suborned Infrastructure. If the demon took the time to precise engineer the gadget, these rolls also benefit from the 8-again quality.”

Does that mean that even when constructing a Lambda (as in adding all the other gadget bits into the new hardware) using a Precision Engineered Suborned Infrastructure gadget, you get 8-again on your rolls? It seems to suggest that, since the Precision Engineering aspect already grants 8-again when you disassemble a gadget, and that kind of repetition isn’t done much elsewhere (even in places where it’d be very helpful, such as Implanted gadgets).

Related question;

“When a demon uses any gadget made with suborned Infrastructure, it is always over-clocked (p. 157) unless it is a form or one-shot gadget.”

Does that include a Lambda that has mundane hardware, but one of its component gadgets was made from Suborned Infrastructure. I feel that it negates the usefulness of using a Suborned Infrastructure gadget for this in the first place, but that’s just me.
                      Last edited by Taidragon; 11-24-2018, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• Henry is a white collar criminal who got sent to jail for embezzlement at a bank. His life is ruined. I, as a demon, make a pact with Henry to take on that aspect of his life. Now I am a known embezzler, and Henry's record is clean and he can get a new job.

How far do the changes go? Certainly Henry's family and friends will be affected by the change. But will the prison records show that I was in prison? Will the court records show that I was convicted? What about the FBI records?

Could the pact change history so that he was exonerated and I was actually convicted for the crime so that he gains complete innocence in all records everywhere?

Comment

Working...
                        X