Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (Demon the Descent)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KieranMullen View Post
    My question is - is this enough as a challenge for 3-4 demons?
    How long is he meant to be a challenge for, and in what ways is he supposed to challenge the ring?

Comment

• Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
      How long is he meant to be a challenge for, and in what ways is he supposed to challenge the ring?
      The chronicle has five chapters and I'd like him to be a challenge for the first one and perhaps the second. As a sheriff, he would have a lot of mundane power and my hope is that the PC"s would have to be careful so as to avoid getting labelled as criminals and damaging their cover. But if they roll over him, he won't be much of a challenge and the whole "Town with an Awful Secret" vibe will be vitiated.

Comment

The chronicle has five chapters and I'd like him to be a challenge for the first one and perhaps the second. As a sheriff, he would have a lot of mundane power and my hope is that the PC"s would have to be careful so as to avoid getting labelled as criminals and damaging their cover. But if they roll over him, he won't be much of a challenge and the whole "Town with an Awful Secret" vibe will be vitiated.
        You should be able to string a well-connected mortal out as an antagonist for a chapter or two if your players are appropriately paranoid about the fallout if they decide to just take him out.

If you can find a way to establish that paranoia early - maybe evidence that he was responsible for the recapture of single prior Unchained, and obviously has help from the Machine? - it should help, I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
          You should be able to string a well-connected mortal out as an antagonist for a chapter or two if your players are appropriately paranoid about the fallout if they decide to just take him out.

If you can find a way to establish that paranoia early - maybe evidence that he was responsible for the recapture of single prior Unchained, and obviously has help from the Machine? - it should help, I think.
          And if they aren't cautious enough, you can hit them with the consequences of their actions so they learn.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• I want to run DtD but I would love to see some fully worked out examples of battle mechanics. I floated this idea on the StackExchange and some of the mods seem amenable. However, I know that I would get details wrong and would need several iterations to get it right. I'd like to start a new discussion topic here for a sample combat of a demon vs. an angel. If that works well, then maybe an example to two demons fighting several humans (to get the combat rules for multiple opponents described). A demon vs. demon example might also be helpful.

What do you think? Would this be useful to you?

Comment

• That could quickly explode, so maybe start another thread for the examples? You can link to it here, for any who are interested.

We'll need a little more background information. Resources available to either side. Who has "initiative". What are each side's goals. What does either side know about the other. Any other environmental factors.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• One of my antagonists is an angel with the cover of an itinerant Bible salesman. His mission is to slowly subvert evangelical sects into GM cults. One approach to this is to supply copies of "lost" books of revelation and the like.

So what are some good book titles? Dawn of the Omnissiah by Saint Simon of the Golden Path?

Technology is a gift of God. After the gift of life it is perhaps the greatest of God's gifts. It is the mother of civilizations, of arts and of sciences."
                ā€“ (Saint) Freeman Dyson

Comment

One of my antagonists is an angel with the cover of an itinerant Bible salesman. His mission is to slowly subvert evangelical sects into GM cults. One approach to this is to supply copies of "lost" books of revelation and the like.

So what are some good book titles? Dawn of the Omnissiah by Saint Simon of the Golden Path?

Technology is a gift of God. After the gift of life it is perhaps the greatest of God's gifts. It is the mother of civilizations, of arts and of sciences."
                  ā€“ (Saint) Freeman Dyson
                  https://www.fantasynamegenerators.co...book-names.php

Running this one a few times might be a good start

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• If i am reading it right the Spoof ability works without a clash of will if the demon roll Cover and obtain a success.
                    Am i right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Neos01 View Post
                      If i am reading it right the Spoof ability works without a clash of will if the demon roll Cover and obtain a success.
                      Am i right?
                      Spoofing is a straight roll of Cover that is not resisted or contested, yes. The need to roll for each spoofed effect separately serves as reason enough to still try and avoid suspicion, since even at a relatively high rating you still have about a one in ten chance of failure each time.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                      Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                        Spoofing is a straight roll of Cover that is not resisted or contested, yes. The need to roll for each spoofed effect separately serves as reason enough to still try and avoid suspicion, since even at a relatively high rating you still have about a one in ten chance of failure each time.
                        Thanks
                        So, if the demon succedes in the Cover roll even the Beast's Family resemblance ability would fail right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Neos01 View Post

Thanks
                          So, if the demon succedes in the Cover roll even the Beast's Family resemblance ability would fail right?

Yes. Also worthy of note: As far as I remember, Beasts don't consider Demons to be family.

My Bloodline conversions
                          My House rules

Comment

• Originally posted by Griautis View Post

Yes. Also worthy of note: As far as I remember, Beasts don't consider Demons to be family.
                            correct, in fact, beasts HATE demons for how utterly separate they are from all the other supernatural being

Comment

• Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                              correct, in fact, beasts HATE demons for how utterly separate they are from all the other supernatural being
                              That'sā€¦ drastically oversimplifying it.

In the event of a failed spoof roll, demons register to the Begotten's Family Resemblance ability with a lower ceiling of available information ā€” the roll literally cannot get an exceptional success against one of the Unchained, which limits what the Beast can glean to the fact that they're looking at a demon of X Primum with approximately N points of Aether to hand; without the benefits of an exceptional success, Family Resemblance cannot convey a demon's strongest supernatural power or open extra Doors for social maneuvering against them.

That kind of blackout is business as usual for demons, but even outside of the context of trying to probe for secrets a successful Family Resemblance roll pings a Lair vs Primum Clash of Wills that doesn't end without somebody getting a Condition.

The best case scenario is that both parties tie the roll-off and come away mutually Spooked; if the Beast rolls more successes, the demon is Shaken, but otherwise none the worse for wear, but if the demon rolls more successes, the Beast is Leveraged as they give up some important piece of personal information like where they live or who they work for in the course of making supernatural contact with a demon.

Between that and the inability to develop Family Ties with the Unchained or otherwise grant them any benefits through their general supernatural-power-booster or be party to a pact, the general issue can be summed up as "their priorities are wildly different and they present a difficulty that even mortals don't to Beasts as characters who otherwise breathe specifically-monstrous social graces."

It's a lot of effort to keep up for not a lot of benefit from something whose nature just rubs them the wrong way, so most of them don't bother, but "hate" is a bit strong.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                              Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• well I suppose I should've said it differently, but I was really just saying the general stereotype @Sstchel

Comment

Working...
                                X