Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (Demon the Descent)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Neos01 View Post

    Well, they can be easily manipulated into making infrastructures and it can sacrifice them to produce essence for example
    I'd thought of that, but wouldn't it be easier for the GM to simply take over in a very obvious way and run the harvest directly? After all, it can perform "miracles" to convince the skeptics. The harvesting described in the books seems to be at a small level with small cults. Why doesn't the GM harvest on a much larger scale?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by KieranMullen View Post
      I'd thought of that, but wouldn't it be easier for the GM to simply take over in a very obvious way and run the harvest directly?
      …You've been paying attention to how the Machine operates, right? This is Espionage 101.

      Like, in the most prosaic terms, being obvious means more things to keep track of that can actively and directly interfere with your plans even if exposure to the supernatural didn't already degrade mortals' sacrificial value as a matter of course. Keeping all of humanity under Its thumb takes resources that could be put to better use actually setting up outputs, and not making that investment only requires that It not make so much noise that the clever monkeys start poking around the magic fusebox.


      Resident Sanguinary Analyst
      Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Satchel View Post
        …You've been paying attention to how the Machine operates, right? This is Espionage 101.

        Like, in the most prosaic terms, being obvious means more things to keep track of that can actively and directly interfere with your plans even if exposure to the supernatural didn't already degrade mortals' sacrificial value as a matter of course. Keeping all of humanity under Its thumb takes resources that could be put to better use actually setting up outputs, and not making that investment only requires that It not make so much noise that the clever monkeys start poking around the magic fusebox.
        And by the way, maybe the gm doesn t HAVE the resources to take over the entire humanity...

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Neos01 View Post

          And by the way, maybe the gm doesn t HAVE the resources to take over the entire humanity...
          Beyond a certain point, it just isn't efficient.

          If you can already get what you want, why bother controlling more than 51%?


          Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

          Comment


          • Originally posted by KieranMullen View Post
            Is there an in-universe reason why the GodMachine keeps humans around? I have my own head-canon for why but I don't know if there is an "official" reason why.
            They often play an integral part of Occult Matrices. The mathematics and chaos principles in the movements of humanity are unconsciously powerful occult forces that the G-M uses to its own advantage.


            Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

            Comment


            • On p.110 of the DtD manual it says that:
              A demon’s true form is a natural receptor for Aether. Whenever a demon assumes demonic form, she automatically generates a number of points of Aether equal to her Primum rating. If she runs out of Aether while in demonic form, her player may roll the demon’s Primum, with each success restoring a point of Aether.
              So that when a player takes on demon form they gain Primum in Aether, and when they exhaust their Aether they can generate up their Primum in Aether. But what about just sitting around? Can a character who is down eight points of Aether take on demon form and then slowly recharge up to full?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by KieranMullen View Post
                and when they exhaust their Aether they can generate up their Primum in Aether.
                They gain their successes on a Primum roll in Aether to a minimum of 1, yes.

                But what about just sitting around? Can a character who is down eight points of Aether take on demon form and then slowly recharge up to full?
                Bearing in mind that there is a Condition that demons get from spending a lot of Aether in one scene or suffering a compromise while in demonic form and that effect is "you lose half your Primum in Aether every turn until you run out or pull more from Infrastructure," yes.


                Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                  Bearing in mind that there is a Condition that demons get from spending a lot of Aether in one scene or suffering a compromise while in demonic form and that effect is "you lose half your Primum in Aether every turn until you run out or pull more from Infrastructure," yes.
                  Could you please provide a citation for the limit on Aether expenditures? I couldn't find it.

                  I'm not saying that going demon to regain Aether is a good idea, but if you're down to nearly nothing and have no other resources, I could imagine doing so while trying to minimize the damage to one's cover.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by KieranMullen View Post
                    Could you please provide a citation for the limit on Aether expenditures? I couldn't find it.
                    Aetheric Bleed, first item in the "Demonic Conditions" subsection on page 209.

                    I'm not saying that going demon to regain Aether is a good idea, but if you're down to nearly nothing and have no other resources, I could imagine doing so while trying to minimize the damage to one's cover.
                    The problem there is that assuming full demonic form prompts a compromise check at a -3 penalty and the check explicitly applies the normal Conditions to the Cover you assume thereafter.


                    Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

                    Comment


                    • Assume that an angel is under taking continued gunfire for some reason. This damage is Lethal, but downgraded to Bashing, because the target is an angel. After they take their Corpus in Bashing, does the damage then upgrade to Lethal? At what point are they forced into Twilight (assuming that they have some Essence left)?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by KieranMullen View Post
                        After they take their Corpus in Bashing, does the damage then upgrade to Lethal?
                        Per the usual rules for Health damage, yes.

                        At what point are they forced into Twilight (assuming that they have some Essence left)?
                        They discorporate once their Corpus track is filled with lethal or aggravated damage.


                        Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                        Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

                        Comment


                        • I am confused by the rules of adoption pacts (heirs of hell).
                          If the demon call the pact the human becomes an offspring even if now he is 30 years old?
                          The contract need to be stipulated before the actual birth for the children to become an offspring?

                          Comment


                          • If someone Pacts away "Parent of X", and the Demon incorporates that into their Cover, that Cover then was always the Parent of X, making X the child of a Demon, and thus, an Offspring.


                            Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                              If someone Pacts away "Parent of X", and the Demon incorporates that into their Cover, that Cover then was always the Parent of X, making X the child of a Demon, and thus, an Offspring.
                              Ok thank you

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                                If someone Pacts away "Parent of X", and the Demon incorporates that into their Cover, that Cover then was always the Parent of X, making X the child of a Demon, and thus, an Offspring.
                                Wait... does that mean that the children would have false memories of being an offspring from his birth (or even a fractal for a double pact)?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X