Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (Demon the Descent)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
    Page 138 of the Storyteller’s Guide outright states the God-Machine’s agents can’t enter the Hedge by design or accident. It seems strange that an Angelic Incept would allow them to access the Hedge.
    Most angels don't leave the material realm, outright, and Incepts are legacy code that loyalists generally aren't entirely authorized to use, but neither of those things strictly locks them off from having a slightly better vector for relocating extradimensional beings than mortals do — just because you're opening a door doesn't mean you're the one coming through.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Page 138 of the Storyteller’s Guide outright states the God-Machine’s agents can’t enter the Hedge by design or accident. It seems strange that an Angelic Incept would allow them to access the Hedge.
      A Demon can open a rift into the Hedge. But doing so is suicide since they won’t have access to their powers. It could be assumed that since a demon can do it an Angel could as well. Though likely only as a last resort to trap a powerful demon.

Think about it. What better place to banish an entity than a place where it’s powers don’t work.

Comment

• Originally posted by DontEatRawHagis View Post
        But doing so is suicide since they won’t have access to their powers.
        It's only Rip the Gates that can't be used within the Hedge. The only other thing the Hedge interferes with when it comes to demons is their Covers.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Thanks for the citation Taidragon. Appreciate all the feedback.

Comment

• Merciless Gunman will not work if Down and Dirty rules don't apply, in particular if the opponent is supernatural. RAW state that the Demon knows this and the ability never activates. What if the Demon attacks a half dozen opponents and only one of them is supernatural? ST's call?

What if one of the six just happens to be a Demon? Do they spoof humanity and get killed?
            Last edited by KieranMullen; 04-02-2020, 12:35 AM. Reason: Added the spoofing question.

Comment

• Originally posted by KieranMullen View Post
              Merciless Gunman will not work if Down and Dirty rules don't apply, in particular if the opponent is supernatural. RAW state that the Demon knows this and the ability never activates. What if the Demon attacks a half dozen opponents and only one of them is supernatural? ST's call?

What if one of the six just happens to be a Demon? Do they spoof humanity and get killed?
              Merciless Gunman does not work as a supernatural-detector, because being supernatural is not the only condition underwhich Down and Dirty Combat doesn't work. If there are a number of targets present who are valid subjects for Merciless Gunman, I would consider allowing the demon to activate the Embed, excluding any invalid subjects from the target list. Preferably the Storyteller should try to avoid this situation in the first place, using either a crowd of Down and Dirty mooks or a smaller number of more significant opponents, but no plan is perfect.

I'll say again that Merciless Gunman does not work as a supernatural-detector because there are plenty of non-supernatural combatants who would not be appropriate targets for Down and Dirty Combat, but even if it were, spoofing does not work that way. Spoofing works to fool sensory effects which have the potential to blow a demon's Cover. Shooting a person is not a sensory effect.

Comment

• Merciless Gunman can instead apply 8-Again to the Firearms roll if Down and Dirty does not apply, just to mention.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• How do you and your PC's handle cellular phones in game? Given that the GM is basically big brother, I would expect that there would be some thought put into how PC's can communicate safely, or perhaps deal in misinformation as well.

Comment

How do you and your PC's handle cellular phones in game? Given that the GM is basically big brother, I would expect that there would be some thought put into how PC's can communicate safely, or perhaps deal in misinformation as well.
                    Most of the time the God-Machine will have some level of Infrastructure monitoring electronic chatter. Cellphones, Messaging Apps, Email, etc... however it doesn’t have the bandwidth to constantly be monitoring for every situation.

A Demon calls her wife to tell her that she will be late home, because of work. But this Demon goes to a piece of Infrastructure to top off her aether. The G-M doesn’t know about that second part. The Demon is just another Mortal to it, and if the Demon passed its Compromise checks the G-M doesn’t Notice the discrepancies.

A Demon calling up another on an insecure line to say the God-Machine killed their friend might result in the G-M noticing.

Encryption and burner phones help mitigate this. The G-M might be able to uncover a Blatant breach “Like saying Angels are guarding the Infrastructure in Central Park”, but saying “Two shields are guarding a point of interest in Central Park” likely won’t hit the same keyword searches.

Moscow rules state that you should assume all people are under opposition control, assume that with technology and add extra layers of difficulty to make sure the God Machine isn’t given your Cover on a Silver Platter.

Special Message is a great Embed to have and allows for the best way to communicate across an Agency.

Comment

• I buy the Bolthole Merit with the "Easy Access" level so any door I open could like to the bolthole. I open the door and put my friend Fred in the bolthole. If I move the door to somewhere else, can I retrieve Fred from that new door? The rules say you have to leave by the door you entered, but I suspect the RAI was to prevent someone inside the bolthole moving the door.

Comment

I buy the Bolthole Merit with the "Easy Access" level so any door I open could like to the bolthole. I open the door and put my friend Fred in the bolthole. If I move the door to somewhere else, can I retrieve Fred from that new door? The rules say you have to leave by the door you entered, but I suspect the RAI was to prevent someone inside the bolthole moving the door.
                        I'm reasonably certain that it works that way to prevent exactly that sort of leapfrogging, given that the person inside can't move the door anyway.

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

How do you and your PC's handle cellular phones in game? Given that the GM is basically big brother, I would expect that there would be some thought put into how PC's can communicate safely, or perhaps deal in misinformation as well.
                          Assume everything you say will be listened to, everything you write will be read, and everything you do will be watched. SO pretty much speak and write in code. The 40k Eisenhorn series of novels has a pretty cool coded language in it so I would read spy novels to see how people used spycraft in the age of communication. Also the always handy dead drop is a great way to get through information.

Comment

• What is the benefit of the Demon Car exploit? It just seems like Demon Form with more steps.

Edit: Also it mentions Structure instead of Health for the Demon, but I don’t see why that would be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                              I'm reasonably certain that it works that way to prevent exactly that sort of leapfrogging, given that the person inside can't move the door anyway.
                              But if I move the door, can Fred leave out of the moved door? Or can he only exit the bolthole from the original door?

Comment

But if I move the door, can Fred leave out of the moved door? Or can he only exit the bolthole from the original door?
                                The latter, to keep a bolthole — and I must here remind you that the Merit is literally described as "a safehouse [you] can hole up in when things get bad" — from being used as a method of quick transport for things that aren't cargo.

Fred ducks into your bolthole at the place he enters and that means he leaves it in the same place when the coast is clear, not forty miles away in a different city just because you needed to set up your storage closet elsewhere.

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

Working...
                                X