Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (Demon the Descent)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vent0
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
    There is one method; if the mortal is a Stigmatic with Sleeve Integrator, a Demon could wear them as a temporary cover and then apply pacts to it as a patch.
    I made a homebrew merit based on/from Sleeve Integrator that lets a character "trade" their life for a Cover.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Basic
      • Dec 2013

Does anyone have a some photos they can show me of the Demon: The Descent

Hardcover Color Book (Premium Heavyweight)

I bought it and got it but the book is still black and white and I don't know how it should look.

Comment

• Stupid Loserman
        • Nov 2013

I don't have an image on hand, but Demon's illustrations aren't full-spectrum color like the Vampire 2e core. They're single-tone purplish, like grayscale but with a color tint. Is that what you're seeing, or is it gray without a hint of purple?

(The paper should also be somewhat thicker than you get if you order a grayscale book, as I recall. The grayscale paper is thin and rough, or at least, it was the last time I ordered one grayscale.)

Comment

• ElvesofZion
          • Nov 2013

As Stupid Loserman says, its pretty close to gray even in full color. I'd check the headers for the Incarnations and Agendas. They have a pretty obvious purple-ish glow effect around them.

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

• xenoterracide
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
            I don't have an image on hand, but Demon's illustrations aren't full-spectrum color like the Vampire 2e core. They're single-tone purplish, like grayscale but with a color tint. Is that what you're seeing, or is it gray without a hint of purple?

(The paper should also be somewhat thicker than you get if you order a grayscale book, as I recall. The grayscale paper is thin and rough, or at least, it was the last time I ordered one grayscale.)
            Vampire has been the best, I get that not everyone likes the full color, but I like a healthy mix and I wish that the other books had it. IIRC it's the only one like that, the rest are all basically a monochrome.

Graphic Inspirational Photos for Chronicles of Darkness on Pinterest
            Chronicles of Darkness Slack (PM Me with Email for an Invite, then invite your friends)

Comment

• Taidragon
              • Apr 2015

Does an Implanted gadget need to look crude, or can you make it look relatively...well, for a lack of a better term? That is, have a metallic prosthetic arm that would have an unusually glossy finish and complex looking joints if it were installed with something like Halo? Or would the installing render the implant looking crude? I appreciate Implants are supposed to stand out, and that Exploited gadgets do so on their own. However, I am considering precision engineering one for a character down the line, and I would prefer they had something akin to a functioning (if advanced) prosthetic than a crude hand made of bars of metal and such.

...I really shouldn't be asking questions at 1:30 am. It makes my questions so much less comprehensive.
              Last edited by Taidragon; 03-03-2017, 04:38 AM.

Comment

• Vent0
                • Aug 2015

Does an Implanted gadget need to look crude, or can you make it look relatively...well, for a lack of a better term? That is, have a metallic prosthetic arm that would have an unusually glossy finish and complex looking joints if it were installed with something like Halo? Or would the installing render the implant looking crude? I appreciate Implants are supposed to stand out, and that Exploited gadgets do so on their own. However, I am considering precision engineering one for a character down the line, and I would prefer they had something akin to a functioning (if advanced) prosthetic than a crude hand made of bars of metal and such.

...I really shouldn't be asking questions at 1:30 am. It makes my questions so much less comprehensive.
                I wouldn't say it would have to be "crude", per say, as long as it is obvious you have a cyber-arm there. Since such things don't (publically, commonly) exist, it will call out attention as something wrong/off.

Comment

• Taidragon
                  • Apr 2015

Another few gadget questions here;

Can you precision engineer a Lambda, be it first or second-order? If so, do the components need to be precision engineered themselves, or does that simply help the process along (since precision engineering grants 8-again in disassembling gadgets for such a purpose)? There's a Lambda I'd like to make that is precision engineered, and I'd prefer to know this coming in so I can get it done right.

Finally, if you make a second-order Lambda, do you have the option of allowing it to use all three of the original gadgets' effects, as you could with the first order, or just the single combined effect? I can appreciate just a single effect being the end result, given how potent a second-order Lambda is by default. It's just the book doesn't specify if this is the case or not.
                  Last edited by Taidragon; 03-04-2017, 04:12 AM.

Comment

• Vent0
                    • Aug 2015

Another few gadget questions here;

Can you precision engineer a Lambda, be it first or second-order? If so, do the components need to be precision engineered themselves, or does that simply help the process along (since precision engineering grants 8-again in disassembling gadgets for such a purpose)? There's a Lambda I'd like to make that is precision engineered, and I'd prefer to know this coming in so I can get it done right.

Finally, if you make a second-order Lambda, do you have the option of allowing it to use all three of the original gadgets' effects, as you could with the first order, or just the single combined effect? I can appreciate just a single effect being the end result, given how potent a second-order Lambda is by default. It's just the book doesn't specify if this is the case or not.
                    Precision Engineering a Lambda: I don't think either of the source Gadgets need to be Precision Engineered, as long as you go through the process for making the Lambda (but you are right - it helps if they are). It doesn't say anything about you can't, and I can't see a good reason why you shouldn't be able to.

As for Lambda use 3 power, I'd say stick with a single combined effect, or at least cascading the effect, for clarity. If you want 3 Gadget's powers, just use 3 Gadgets. Unless you mean combo power + original power. That's more of an ST call, power wise. And I think it would depend on what the combo power does - if it synergizes well with the original effects, go for it, if the combined effect is too different or make the originals redundant, I'd say no.

An example of the Embeds/Exploits and desired effect would help further.

Comment

• Taidragon
                      • Apr 2015

Well, I'm a fan of Doctor Who, and after discussing it with the GM of the Demon game I'm in over how a TARDIS (or a reasonable fascimile of one) could be reached in-game, we decided that a Bolthole with a Lambda (and a lot of occult matrix knowledge) installed with Rip The Gates and Four Minutes Ago could do it.

However, I'm wanting to make something less...potentially screw-everything-up-timewise, so I'm going to instead make it a Lambda of Rip The Gates and Quick Change, to allow the bolthole's exterior (the portal to the normal world) be removed and reconstructed elsewhere, while Quick Change would allow said portal to be reshaped into a new form provided that it doesn't change the mass of the existing portal (a cupboard cannot become a tanker truck, and vice versa). Their combined effect would be that the exterior can be moved from the inside, and it becomes something that fits in with the new area it is in, though the Lambda would be constructed so it would retain the two base effects (so I could move the portal without changing its exterior, or change the exterior without moving it). Should I make it a Second-Order Lambda, I'd include the Four Minutes Ago aspect, granting some time travel to it. I was wondering if this meant that the moving-without-changing and change-without-moving aspects could be retained. If not...well I have a time travelling shapeshifting bolthole. I can live with it.

Sorry, that was a lot of nerding out there in a thread about asking questions and getting answers.

Comment

• Vent0
                        • Aug 2015

Well, I'm a fan of Doctor Who, and after discussing it with the GM of the Demon game I'm in over how a TARDIS (or a reasonable fascimile of one) could be reached in-game, we decided that a Bolthole with a Lambda (and a lot of occult matrix knowledge) installed with Rip The Gates and Four Minutes Ago could do it.

However, I'm wanting to make something less...potentially screw-everything-up-timewise, so I'm going to instead make it a Lambda of Rip The Gates and Quick Change, to allow the bolthole's exterior (the portal to the normal world) be removed and reconstructed elsewhere, while Quick Change would allow said portal to be reshaped into a new form provided that it doesn't change the mass of the existing portal (a cupboard cannot become a tanker truck, and vice versa). Their combined effect would be that the exterior can be moved from the inside, and it becomes something that fits in with the new area it is in, though the Lambda would be constructed so it would retain the two base effects (so I could move the portal without changing its exterior, or change the exterior without moving it). Should I make it a Second-Order Lambda, I'd include the Four Minutes Ago aspect, granting some time travel to it. I was wondering if this meant that the moving-without-changing and change-without-moving aspects could be retained. If not...well I have a time travelling shapeshifting bolthole. I can live with it.

Sorry, that was a lot of nerding out there in a thread about asking questions and getting answers.
                        Retaining the original power makes sense then - it can alter variable things about itself (including appearance, temporal and dimensional position, etc.).

One thing to note: you could always keep the side/secondary effect of 4 Minutes Ago - even if your actions are different, things still happened more or less as they "did" in the original timeline. So any time travel enabled by such a mechanism inherently would include "Historical Inertia".

Comment

• Eremite
                          • Nov 2013

The TARDIS is totally a Lare, it was one of the inspirations I had for them, along with generic evil genius loci and Charlie from Charlie's Angels.

Onyx Path Freelancer: Demon Storyteller's Guide, Dark Eras, Night Horrors: Enemy Action
                          Storyteller's Guide Extra Material
                          After the Fall: Bonus Material

Comment

• Taidragon
                            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Eremite View Post
                            The TARDIS is totally a Lare, it was one of the inspirations I had for them, along with generic evil genius loci and Charlie from Charlie's Angels.
                            A Lare works well for a TARDIS, save for actual time travel and moving through dimensions...unless the aforementioned Lambda were installed into it somehow. Then that might work...

Edit: To avoid double posting, I'm writing this here:

When an Analyst goes Loud, they're able to combine Exploits into new ones. It's mentioned in the Storyteller's Extra Materials thread on this form they're effectively interlocks for Exploits, so I wonder; should an Analyst survive the Going Loud, do they keep the new Exploit Interlock, or is that lost?
                            Last edited by Taidragon; 03-05-2017, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• Eremite
                              • Nov 2013

When an Analyst goes Loud, they're able to combine Exploits into new ones. It's mentioned in the Storyteller's Extra Materials thread on this form they're effectively interlocks for Exploits, so I wonder; should an Analyst survive the Going Loud, do they keep the new Exploit Interlock, or is that lost?
                              This superpower is only for when they're Going Loud - other Incarnations don't unlock all the Embeds for general use when not Loud, after all.

Onyx Path Freelancer: Demon Storyteller's Guide, Dark Eras, Night Horrors: Enemy Action
                              Storyteller's Guide Extra Material
                              After the Fall: Bonus Material

Comment

• Taidragon
                                • Apr 2015

That does seem rather obvious in hindsight. Thanks Eremite. :-)

...I hate being the kid who never stops asking questions, but I have one regarding Lares, though I can't remember if I or someone else has asked this (my apologies if it has). Technically they're Exiles and Angels, albeit ones stuck in the forms of buildings. Can a Lare thus have the opportunity to fall and become a Demon in some form?

Comment

Working...