Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (Demon the Descent)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (Demon the Descent)

Didn't see one of these for DtD.

Question: I have been considering getting the DtD starter kit. Are the rules already updated to the God Machine Chronicles? For instance, are their conditions, and beats?

• Deinos
    replied
    Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
    I’m quite interested in this . What Havoc could the God-Machine do with a Demon-blooded Mage
    There are examples like a mage who is concealment infrastructure to block out the memories of an event from the populace.

Being infrastructure also may come with the side effect of demons coming up to you to try to siphon aether from you or trying to hack you. "WTF are you doing?"

Leave a comment:

• Deinos
    replied
    Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
    This came up in a conversation I had the night before; gadgets can effectively be installed with an effect that the original Embed/Exploit could conceptually do (either by way of a reduced effect or a near-field). Would that include the dramatic failure effects of an Embed/Exploit, so that a gadget with On The Mend could slow healing times instead of accelerating them, Vox to make someone unable to vocalize at all, or Open Sesame to ensure a room is secure? These are within what the Embeds are capable of, even if they aren’t normally the intended or desired effects.
    Seems within the scope of a gadget to me, there are lots that take far more liberties than that.

Now, be sure to discuss things with your ST before you make the Nothing Personnel Exploited Katana with a reverse Frozen in Time gadget.

Leave a comment:

• Taidragon
    replied
    This came up in a conversation I had the night before; gadgets can effectively be installed with an effect that the original Embed/Exploit could conceptually do (either by way of a reduced effect or a near-field). Would that include the dramatic failure effects of an Embed/Exploit, so that a gadget with On The Mend could slow healing times instead of accelerating them, Vox to make someone unable to vocalize at all, or Open Sesame to ensure a room is secure? These are within what the Embeds are capable of, even if they aren’t normally the intended or desired effects.

Leave a comment:

• Stupid Loserman
    replied
    Originally posted by KieranMullen View Post
    If an angel uses the Implant Mission numen on a demon, does the demon get to resist by rolling their Supernatural Tolerance (i.e. their Cover)?
    Implant Mission only works on mortals, which in CofD is typically used to mean humans without supernatural templates. The power fails, and this only really becomes a problem if the angel notices it failed and keeps trying, and notices that for whatever reason, this mortal is very hard to Implant Mission in.

Hypothetically, one might argue that the power might eventually, through its reliable failure, reveal the demon through implication, and therefore be valid to Spoof. If accepted, this would suggest the reverse of your suggestion: that the demon automatically resists without a roll, but can roll Cover to (unconsciously and instinctively) attempt to succumb to the power.

Leave a comment:

• KieranMullen
    replied
    If an angel uses the Implant Mission numen on a demon, does the demon get to resist by rolling their Supernatural Tolerance (i.e. their Cover)?

Leave a comment:

• Konradleijon
    replied
    I’m quite interested in this . What Havoc could the God-Machine do with a Demon-blooded Mage

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Great explanation! Is it possible for there to have a Mage Demon-blooded with a completed Cipher?
    Yep.

The particular name for that is "a bad day."

Leave a comment:

• Konradleijon
    replied
    Great explanation! Is it possible for there to have a Mage Demon-blooded with a completed Cipher?

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    But what’s the Lore reason the GM can Control the demonblooded ?
    It is everywhere, the remnants of Its mechanisms are in their blood, and It knows them so well by this point that It has granted them four Embeds and three Interlocks on top of constantly knowing where they are and what they're doing.

Demon-blooded are humans, and humans placed to be demon-blooded inhabit a world that the God-Machine has overwhelming influence over. The thing already makes sleeper agents, designs angels, and seeds subliminal messages in advertising jingles, it's no great stretch to assume it's within Its capabilities to subtly train the Unchained's children — Heirs to Hell says as much.

Leave a comment:

• Konradleijon
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    Per Heirs to Hell, the Storyteller can take one action per chapter with a demon-blooded character who has the Activated Condition, which always plays into the Machine's plans in some way; by this point, the character has all three of the Interlocks they would receive and cannot reduce the level of awareness the God-Machine has of them unless It somehow chooses to let them go.
    But what’s the Lore reason the GM can Control the demonblooded ?

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    What can the God-Machine Do with a Completed Cipher Demon-Blooded the book says it can Quote Nudge the Character In subtle Ways but How?
    Per Heirs to Hell, the Storyteller can take one action per chapter with a demon-blooded character who has the Activated Condition, which always plays into the Machine's plans in some way; by this point, the character has all three of the Interlocks they would receive and cannot reduce the level of awareness the God-Machine has of them unless It somehow chooses to let them go.

Leave a comment:

• Konradleijon
    replied
    What can the God-Machine Do with a Completed Cipher Demon-Blooded the book says it can Quote Nudge the Character In subtle Ways but How?

Do when they get Activated The God-Machine gets Them Kidnaped and then Get Reprogramed .

Leave a comment:

• Stupid Loserman
    replied
    The Demon-Blooded Cipher is a little unintuitive at first blush, because it represents some of the opposite thematic qualities that a regular demon's Cipher is typically* portrayed with. Demonic Ciphers are roads to gnosis and secret truths that empower your Primum, your personal self-defining will, in defiance of the God-Machine. Despite sharing the name Cipher and providing tasty Interlock powers or benefits, for demon-blooded, the Cipher represents the opposite: it's the God-Machine's road into you, and at the end of the road is subordination to its will. So for demon-blooded, the Cipher advances when the bad thing happens and a compromise hooks in, not when the good thing happens and you resist it.

*I know, sometimes it's hinted that the demonic Cipher is an inborn trap laid by the God-Machine. That's not the default assumption that first comes to mind when talking about it, though.

Leave a comment:

• AutoDefenestrate
    replied
    Ah, thanks. It's been a while since I read through it. I shouldn't have relied on memory and skimming as much.

Edit: Just went back to check. Looks like success keeps them from moving along their Cipher.
    Last edited by AutoDefenestrate; 02-28-2019, 10:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X