No announcement yet.

Prelude Angel Players: Advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That makes zero sense, Satchel. If its not in the books, then its the same as saying that that "stuff" doesn't exist outside hacks and houserules.

I personally find that focusing on those details, the need for cultists and Infrastructure, helps create a better dynamic between angel and demon characters. That's why I suggest it. If the OP doesn't want to do it, then ze doesn't have to. If you don't want to? Then you do you.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
      That makes zero sense, Satchel. If its not in the books, then its the same as saying that that "stuff" doesn't exist outside hacks and houserules.
      It is in the books. It does not have printed mechanics, because the players are not playing ephemeral beings, but "there are angels whose Infrastructure is functionally a better-maintained Cover in all but name" is an established element of the setting.

There's no mechanics for "sometimes spirits' Resonant Conditions becomes more complex or exacting than 'the description of a phenomenon matches one of their Influences in some way'" in Werewolf, but that's a thing that can explicitly happen according to The Pack. That doesn't mean their usual Resonant Conditions are irrelevant, it means that the ephemeral being rules serve as a general framework and have exceptions; angels happen to have a common variety of exception by virtue of their being connected to their missions for the God-Machine, but neither "this being doesn't have to worry about the usual mechanics that almost exclusively matter to long-term maintenance and downtime" nor "this being is effectively a mortal with access to Numina and the ability to assume an overt supernatural form" require much in the way of rules.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
      Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Ooo! I feel like I have decent advice for this.

Remember the analogy of the Angels as an intelligence agency. Create professional respect and fraternity. Create personalities that will stalk your players later - friends, that are now turned enemies. Show them the inside of the God Machine. Give them a few missions to feel good about, a few missions to be confused by, and a few missions that challenge them ethically. And then, of course, the mission where they fall.

Do historical stuff. Do several brief historical scenes, IMO all the way from the time of Irem to the modern day. Seed lotsa stories in these scenes, lotsa mysteries, but make them brief and try to avoid relying on mechanics for them. You don't have to actually WRITE those stories. Just leave stuff you can lose later in these background scenes so that when you reference them later, they'll know. For example, one of my players had a mission where she turned a 'Doom Organ' into a simple box for holding ten commandments and wrote a new history for it so that it would become an 'Ark of the Covenant' rather than a God Machine part.

It has served me to have a list of Angels, and to use the SAME UNIQUE angels in multiple locations, rather than to invent new angels for each city. This works because the players can have drama with these 'international spy agencies' trying to catch them. My version of Ms Ruby, for example, pops up in multiple stories, often trying to track down the characters. The players worked alongside Ms Ruby in the prologue sequences so they have a deeper relationship with her even as she is trying to bring them in.

Last, but not least, make clear to the players that what your are doing in the prologue is describing the memories that the Angel (previous to falling) packed for the journey. This means thousands, perhaps millions, of missions were undertaken and forgotten (or conspiratorially obscured by YOURSELF before you fell). This is good A) because mystery and B) because it gives you lots of leeway to invent future plots and stuff that are tied to the characters specifically.

Finally, you may benefit from a sense of eternity in your games. Mine do, even though the book doesn't go into it. Angels may not have an afterlife, but they don't 'die' properly either, and are never allowed to do so. Eventually they will find your parts, Ms. Sapphire, and when they do they will recommission you. You may not remember much of your identity after that rebirth, but the archetype machine you represent is just too valuable to give up forever. So every Demon knows - one day, they'll catch me. One day, I go back. One day, it's all over.

That's a good story element because you can have lotsa double agent stuff going on, especially if you do lotsa time travel like we do. In 1807, is Mr Brass one of us... or one of THEM? Demons/Angels are constantly falling and being captured, recommissioned and reissued.

Comment

Originally posted by Eremite View Post
          I like MCN's advice on the storytelling side. I'd make very simple stats just so you have dicepools but avoid complexities like Manifestations and Influences. I'd be tempted to give them Embeds and Exploits rather than Numen and Incepts so you can ease players into the demon stuff.

I'm very excited to see someone playing in the Fall era! I shall follow with interest and if you need any advice or have any questions I'd be happy to help. When are setting this prelude - pre or post the Fall?

having trouble coming up with idea's for mission during the siege. Ideally these missions should be inclined to encourage falling. Any suggestions?

Graphic Inspirational Photos for Chronicles of Darkness on Pinterest
          Chronicles of Darkness Slack (PM Me with Email for an Invite, then invite your friends)

Comment

Originally posted by xenoterracide View Post

having trouble coming up with idea's for mission during the siege. Ideally these missions should be inclined to encourage falling. Any suggestions?
            How about ongoingmissions pre-Fall that were disrupted by the siege. Catalysts might include the simple fact that you can't do your job anymore, the idea that the God-Machine is fallible the desire to build anew without orders...

But if you want some during-siege missions.... protect/destroy the artillery, save/kill/cryogenicaly freeze Constantine, prevent the city from being taken in battle (perhaps by trying to assassinate Mehmet or one of his generals, inspiring defending troops or just by getting stuck in), saving the life of an ordinary soldier/citizen who is vital for a future occult matrix, stealing an artefact before it;'s looted/destroyed, simply watching and recording events, harvesting something from the bodies of the fallen...

Onyx Path Freelancer: Demon Storyteller's Guide, Dark Eras
            Storyteller's Guide Extra Material
            After the Fall: Bonus Material

Comment

Originally posted by Eremite View Post

How about ongoingmissions pre-Fall that were disrupted by the siege. Catalysts might include the simple fact that you can't do your job anymore, the idea that the God-Machine is fallible the desire to build anew without orders...
              yeah I had considered that, but hadn't been able to come up with anything, especially not tasks which might take multiple angels.

But if you want some during-siege missions.... protect/destroy the artillery, save/kill/cryogenicaly freeze Constantine, prevent the city from being taken in battle (perhaps by trying to assassinate Mehmet or one of his generals, inspiring defending troops or just by getting stuck in), saving the life of an ordinary soldier/citizen who is vital for a future occult matrix, stealing an artefact before it;'s looted/destroyed, simply watching and recording events, harvesting something from the bodies of the fallen...
              cool suggestions, I've a couple of considerations on constantine, that perhaps they actually make a pact with him before the end, and/or perhaps a promethean gets his hands on the body, and tries to reconstitute it, resulting in a pandoran that lives beneath the gates, becomes a cryptid pandoran... but otherwise looks like a statue of constantine when it goes dormant...

alternatively maybe they do save him as angels...

also I've considered making defending the walls/city a general sort of mission, thus allowing the players to take whichever avenue... but then I wondered if that's too general.

Chronicles of Darkness Slack (PM Me with Email for an Invite, then invite your friends)

Comment

I've also been trying to think of what might make good failable (or highly immoral?) and inscrutable missions.

Comment

Thought I'd share:

Map of Constantinople

though if anyone wanted to shop this one with an english translation, that'd be great

Comment

Anyone have any advice for where to go for periodly geographically accurate names?

Comment

Working...
                    X