Inspirations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspirations

About to start a chronicle. Something that can inspire me and give me the right ideas about a cruel, oppressive world controlled by the God-Machine?

eXistenZ, by David Cronenberg!

Hayley Margules, historian and Onyx Path writer
    Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

Comment

Person of Interest, Good Omens, The Strain, American Horror Story,

Comment

Mr. Robot. Any Noir, really, for the sense of "you can't really change the system".

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Oh, also, Black Mirror! It's a 21st century Twilight Zone anthology show about how we interface with technology. Some episodes are truly fucked, so be prepared. All episodes have different actors, completely different stories, emphasize different genres, etc. I highly highly highly recommend watching it. There are only seven episodes total (though Netflix is releasing a new season in October) and they're all on Netflix and Youtube.

Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

Comment

Originally posted by damocles23 View Post
            About to start a chronicle. Something that can inspire me and give me the right ideas about a cruel, oppressive world controlled by the God-Machine?
            I only just started reading it, but House of Leaves is very World of Darkness-y, and the focus of the story (such as it even has one) could be Infrastructure gone horribly, horribly wrong (or right).

Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

VtR: 13 Licks: The Curses of Caine in Blood and Smoke13 Licks: Tricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: Mysterious Place: The Cabin
            Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post

I only just started reading it, but House of Leaves is very World of Darkness-y, and the focus of the story (such as it even has one) could be Infrastructure gone horribly, horribly wrong (or right).

The Navidson House was one of several direct inspirations for Lares, actually.

Onyx Path Freelancer: Demon Storyteller's Guide, Dark Eras
              Storyteller's Guide Extra Material
              After the Fall: Bonus Material

Comment

Originally posted by Eremite View Post

The Navidson House was one of several direct inspirations for Lares, actually.
                Ooo, very cool! But also <shudder>

Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

VtR: 13 Licks: The Curses of Caine in Blood and Smoke13 Licks: Tricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: Mysterious Place: The Cabin
                Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines

Comment

The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell. The book features magical espionage, something very similar to Demonic Pacts, and the Chapel near the end flat out gets described as "occult machinery". It mostly reads like the life of a Chronicles of Darkness mortal whose life touches on the supernatural rather than being immersed in it, which I really like since that seems like a good way to grasp how most people in the Chronicles world must experience it.

Comment

Originally posted by Basic View Post
                    Person of Interest, Good Omens, The Strain, American Horror Story,
                    Which season of AHS, to be precise?

Comment

Originally posted by damocles23 View Post
                      Which season of AHS, to be precise?
                      I know I'm not the one who told you to watch AHS, and I apologize to Basic for interrupting.

I'm not going to get into any kind of fight over this. All I'm going to say, right now, is that I personally think AHS does a really, really bad job at horror. I don't think it's scary. I think it's poorly written. I think the characters are all stereotypes, and the plotlines are overly predictable, even as he tries to throw in so much shock that you don't want to look from the screen. It's just "what gruesome ways can we have people be raped and murdered", but the general plots, in my opinion, are weak and predictable and boring, and as a CSA survivor (one who actually finds consuming media with portrayed sexual violence cathartic in a lot of cases, as long as there's a reason for it, and uses sexual violence in my own writing), I think it's campy torture fantasy. That being said, season one was watchable. It was fine. It was okay. But there's pointless rape there too. Semi-cohesive storyline. I wouldn't recommend any of the other seasons, and I can't strongly recommend season one either. It's fine.

Again, this is just me, just my opinion, and I won't say anything else on the point. I'm sure plenty of people disagree with me and love the show, but that's, quite literally, my opinion, and just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Comment

Burn Notice. I always suggest Burn Notice for anyone starting a Demon game.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
                          Burn Notice. I always suggest Burn Notice for anyone starting a Demon game.
                          I originally suggested that, then edited it out because while it is indeed great for Demon games, the OP was asking for "Something that can inspire me and give me the right ideas about a cruel, oppressive world controlled by the God-Machine", and I'm not sure Burn Notice captures that feel properly.
                          Last edited by Vent0; 09-09-2016, 02:20 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Hard to find now but the U.K TV series Utopia depicts a paranoid and cold world of extra government assassins, schizophrenic artists who's work predicts the future and a plan to kill off the 99% that is straight out of the GM's playbook.

It also has the best opening scene in TV history. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=01VGtX9xfh0

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                              I originally suggested that, then edited it out because while it is indeed great for Demon games, the OP was asking for "Something that can inspire me and give me the right ideas about a cruel, oppressive world controlled by the God-Machine", and I'm not sure Burn Notice captures thatfeel properly.
                              I think that Burn Notice covers that entirely well, with the way that Michael is continually corralled by powerful organizations that continually screw him over.

Comment

Working...
                              X