Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outside of emergencies and utility why would you ever show your demonic form?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside of emergencies and utility why would you ever show your demonic form?

One thing I don't like about demon, is you spend all this time creating a demonic form, that you're then heavily penalized for unveiling. Obviously demons wouldn't think it's cool, it's their bodies after all (though there are people like that...). Outside of some extreme cases, like going loud, or to utilize a piece of your form it seems discouraged. There don't even appear to be good social reasons for showing it. Am I missing something? Has anyone ever tried making a system where constant use of covers cost maintenance? or provided some other encouragement to look like a devil? This is especially important to me as a GM, because... why would my NPCs ever look like Demons (I see in the STG there are some, but I haven't been able to figure out why they would retain that form).

Graphic Inspirational Photos for Chronicles of Darkness on Pinterest
    Chronicles of Darkness Slack (PM Me with Email for an Invite, then invite your friends)

For one thing, they're more comfortable in their demonic forms. You don't want to wear your meat suit if you don't have to. Then there's the full Aether refresh as well.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
      For one thing, they're more comfortable in their demonic forms. You don't want to wear your meat suit if you don't have to. Then there's the full Aether refresh as well.
      Full Aether refresh (page?)? also how have I missed this comfort thing?

Chronicles of Darkness Slack (PM Me with Email for an Invite, then invite your friends)

Comment

It doesn't approach full until higher levels of Primum (going loud, however, is always a full refill), but corebook p. 195:

The demon heals lethal or bashing damage equal to her Primum rating, starting with the rightmost health box upon changing into her demonic form. Any Tilts relating to a bodily injury, such as Arm Wrack, are removed.
        When the demon shifts into her demonic form, she is more attuned to the Aether around her. She can draw in the little bits of processes and mechanisms floating about within the air to fuel her without much conscious effort. The Unchained gains a number of Aether equal to her Primum on her initial transformation into demonic form. Because she is so attuned to the Aether, she can never truly run out of it. Whenever her Aether is reduced to zero, the player can roll Primum, and each success gains the demon one Aether (minimum 1, even if the roll fails).
        So as your Primum increases (and Cipher progression means demons rise to mid-level Primum faster than other supernatural types), it gets to be pretty good healing and Aether restock. Not the best option in either case, but a nice bonus on top of gaining the use of your form abilities.

What use demons have for their demonic form depends on their form ability loadout. A demon with a Rivet Arm, a Plasma Drive, and an Eliminator Cannon is going to end up saving his revelation for violent emergencies and dramatic shock assaults, whereas one with Mirrored Skin, Wings, and Insect Swarm is going to have a lot more nonviolent occasions to get a lot of use out of their quantum form. But really, just looking at the thread title, "outside of emergencies and utility, why would you show your demonic form?" You mostly wouldn't, except maybe on dramatic moments or for specific character reasons. But you're playing a spy thriller. Emergency situations and opportunities for useful risk-taking are going to be in plentiful supply. Players like to get up to extreme situations.

Comment

Wow, I remembered that completely wrong. That's the bit I was referring to, though.

The comfort thing is on page 43
          Some demons feel much more comfortable in their demonic form, to the point that they try to arrange their lives so that they can spend some time that way every day. These demons sometimes band together to create safe spaces where they can assume their demonic forms and “let their hair down” without worrying about curious humans or the God-Machine’s agents. Where they exist, these places are often neutral ground where Demons with radically different outlooks — Saboteurs and Integrators, the most radically pro-human demons and the most selfish and abusive Tempters — can meet.
          Last edited by Charlaquin; 09-27-2016, 10:43 PM.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Assuming demonic form: Fully shedding human form and
            taking demonic shape is always a compromise. This roll is
            made at a –3 penalty. Staying in demonic form for longer
            than a scene is likewise a compromise, with a further –1
            penalty per scene (see Full Transformation, p. 195).
            do you guys play it out like this if no one is around to see it? and what about those places demons go... where there are only demons... or boltholes...

Comment

Originally posted by xenoterracide View Post

do you guys play it out like this if no one is around to see it? and what about those places demons go... where there are only demons... or boltholes...
              I do yeah, it is one of the big driving forces for many Demons search for Hell. To find a place where they can be in Demonic form without worrying about the God Machine.

I did have a night club inspired by Papa Midnight's in Constantine. Where an Interlock based on the Embed Interference is used to make it safe(ish) to be in demonic form. It requires a ton of effort and there is still a risk of it failing and being raided (plot hooks ^_^).

Comment

Outside of utility? There's a hell of a lot of utility in demon forms. You're faster, stronger, smarter, prettier, and just... more. There is the aether thing. Honestly, I find it difficult that most demons won't want to flash their true forms every once in a while because of the sheer amount of benefits in lots of areas.

As for the rooms where demons "let their hair down," there's the aether/compromise dampening wood mentioned in the core book. Bolt holes and modified suborned infrastructure are a thing. In my game, I had gadgets built with the Interference Embed and the Context Matters Exploit around the area - this effectively reduced the chances of a compromise to something negligable. Its like Elysium in VtR - you have a decreased chance of frenzy there.

Comment

In my games... well, basically never.

Really, in my games it seems to be reserved for demon-fighting and other emergencies. Better risking cover than being gunned down by four thugs, for example. Or risking cover to face another demon (demon vs demon is a big thing in my game) rather than being eviscerated.

I think they think about it like Spawn's limited power supply: It's very powerful, but can't be used unless the penalties for not using it outweight the penalties for actually using your form.

They seem to be pretty liberal with partial transformation however, specially single-ability ones.

Comment

Working...
                  X