New Life: Creation or Recreation of People via Covers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Life: Creation or Recreation of People via Covers

So, Demons can bring people back to life. They can detach portions of their Identity (Covers) to exist independently (via Alibi, Decoy, etc.). They can even create new quasi-beings whole cloth (Urban Legend). Transplanting elements of people's lives is the very core of Pacts. And some people, they can even become for a time, then leave (Sleeve Integrators).

How would one go about permanently detaching a Cover into a fully independent being? How would you handle it via the rule/mechanics? Lambda, Infrastructure hack, Interlock, Merits, Pacts? Rube-Goldberg-esque chain of the previous? And what implications would such a capability have for Unchained, and those who know of them?

Or is this all a pipe dream?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

This sounds like something that could be an entire story in and of itself (great concept for one though!)

But I think it'd definitely require some significant legwork in a lot of ways, and perhaps bending a few of the established game rules if you wanted to make your doppelganger into an actual real person.

Here's what I think you should probably need: Body, Mind and Soul.

- Enough elements of the target person that you could create a Cover as that person. Being that you're intending to create a "real" person here, I'd say that you'd need nothing less than a flawless, 10-dot Cover. The Cover is as close to a real person as you can get in any sense of the word. Of course, that Cover also needs the specific entanglements that make it a recreation or creation of the person you're aiming for. This is essentially the "Body".
    - You need a Soul. Just as a Soul-pact destroys a whole person to give a Demon a fully formed life as a Cover, a Soul needs to be meshed into the final person. You'd probably start as some sort of zombie (I'd imagine a 1-integrity character with the Persistent Soulless condition until a Soul is placed).
    - You need a mind. Covers in and of themselves don't provide a Demon with the vagaries of the mind, they're a supernatural skin pulled over to hide. You'd probably have to find a way to "program" the new person in some way, otherwise they're essentially a newborn child in whatever body you've created for them.

I think the hardest part to handle would probably be the Soul for the new individual. A few ideas from the top of my head:
    - A special-case Soul Pact. Rather than destroying the Soul to give a Demon a new Cover, you destroy the "Cover" to give the Demon a new Soul. Or some "third-party" agreement that when the created person touches the pactee, the soul transfers from the pactee to the created person. This would likely be incredibly traumatic to the newly ensouled person, though!
    - A Lambda of the "Raise Dead" exploit could be used. Have the Demon kill a person and then "revive" the new creation in their place.
    - There's likely options in the form of God-Machine infrastructure too. Considering how many machines use the spiritual energy of humans to power them, there's no reason why one couldn't be suborned to instead transfer souls.
    - There's also the crossover option - work out where/how Souls are created in your universe and travel to that place (physically or metaphorically). Maybe you travel to the Hedge to grab a broken piece of soul from some poor Changeling's fetch, you journey to the Underworld and stop someone's soul from passing on, you make friends with a powerful Mage? There's always the obvious one too: You create a Promethean instead and they're not a "real" person with a real soul until they achieve their New Dawn. Lots and lots of options here.

Creating the Mind is probably easier, but Demons have significantly more tools for messing with mortal heads.
    - A huge selection of Embeds can create simple behaviours in the person. Stuff like Apple of Discord, Anarchism, Cool Heads Prevail, etc etc.
    - A small selection of Exploits induce particular attributes or behaviours in people. Stuff like Stimulus/Response, The Word, etc.
    - There's a few Form abilities that directly manipulate memories - Memory Theft in particular would be exceptionally useful.
    - There's probably a whole weird world of Gadgets and infrastructure that could pattern a blank mind. GM Infrastructure that gives Angels their personality, who's to say you can't repurpose it to give a Human a personality?

Creating a Body is probably the simplest. Just detach the Cover from the Demon in some fashion. Perhaps require a Willpower/Aether to cement it in reality and to not dissipate into nothingness. Or perhaps require a literal "pact of life" - a Pact document that while it remains animates the created person in reality, if destroyed the created person literally unravels into nothing.

Being that this is such an "unnatural" way of creating a person, you could likely add a bunch of other entanglements to this:
    - The new person is a Fractal, Demon-Blooded or Latent human.
    - The new person interacts with the God-Machine strangely (Maybe they're literally incomprehensible by the GM and its agents, not being perceived in any way. Maybe they literally shatter the illusion of Concealment Infrastructure, Covers, etc. when they're present.)
    - Perhaps they've got some odd bug, having a Glitch of varying severity (like a Stigmatic)

Anyway, I think that's enough to work with from my head.

Comment

Also, ghostly Echoes from burning down an entire Cover are a thing. The idea that the Cover IS the person in question has some weight here. Granted, you don't have access to the Cover's memories, which is the biggest hurdle here, but if we have ghost-echoes, then that means that means that memory and personality is buried inside the Cover somewhere still.

That just leaves the "soul" which, going strictly by the RAW and not any twists thrown in, is basically a spiritual equivalent of bone marrow and can be transplanted.

Comment

Near-Field Lambda of Alibi and that embed that makes you temporarily properly human?

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
          Also, ghostly Echoes from burning down an entire Cover are a thing. The idea that the Cover IS the person in question has some weight here.
          That's a good point. I suppose finding an Echo and using Ephemeral Cover would be a good place to start for recovering a Burned cover.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

Originally posted by malonkey1 View Post

That's a good point. I suppose finding an Echo and using Ephemeral Cover would be a good place to start for recovering a Burned cover.
            Recycling is important, for the considerate Demon.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Working...
            X