After Life, Not Undeath

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Life, Not Undeath

So as I understand it, neither the Bargain nor the Geist heal a Sin-Eater at all. Does this then mean that there is a very large downtime, or recuperation period after the Bargain? Would someone crushed under debris need to heal in a hospital for months? Would someone immolated need to recover for years? Sorry, I'm very new and very fuzzy with the rules. Any clarification or a point in the right direction in the book would very welcome.

Originally posted by OmePraiser View Post
    So as I understand it, neither the Bargain nor the Geist heal a Sin-Eater at all. Does this then mean that there is a very large downtime, or recuperation period after the Bargain? Would someone crushed under debris need to heal in a hospital for months? Would someone immolated need to recover for years? Sorry, I'm very new and very fuzzy with the rules. Any clarification or a point in the right direction in the book would very welcome.
    As I understand it, the Bargain staves off death and speeds healing, to a degree, although it's not instant, nor does it necessarily return complete functionality. The Geist wants to live vicariously, after all, and it's not much of a life trapped in a hospital bed. I'm not entirely certain on the actual process of the thing, though, nor on the exact mechanics. Probably something to do with the plasm suffusing the Sin-Eater's body and blood.

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

It does heal them... most of the time anyway. It seems like you can have your bones heal from being crushed ridiculously quick and you could heal burns ridiculously quick, but if you had hand cut off, then that wont regrow.

Comment

That's what confuses me. The book clarifies that "the Bargain doesn't heal the Sin-Eater's wounds", "Geists cannot restore life or heal a living mortal" and "whatever injures brought the Sin-Eater to the brink of death linger". The only healing it notes is normal human recovery. So basically the trauma needs to be enough to kill someone but in a way that doesn't significantly damage the body otherwise the Geist doesn't want you? If your character is the victim of an animal mauling ala The Prey, does that mean said character comes back but horribly, permanently disfigured? Wouldn't you be missing huge chunks of flesh and organs? The only impression I'm getting from the text is that you end up a bedridden, disfigured lump of pain until you heal naturally. Unless you pick a method of death that's very self-contained I suppose.

Comment

I am far from a Geist expert, but my understanding is that coming back a Bound is supposed to look, from an outside perspective, like surviving a near-death experience. That doesn't really work if your recovery is supernaturally fast. So, yeah, the Geist might heal you to the point where the experience doesn't kill you, but the injuries still have to heal naturally otherwise.
          Last edited by Charlaquin; 11-25-2016, 07:33 PM.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

That does raise an interesting point though, that a lot of Prey and Maimed should probably have injury-induced disabilities.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

My understanding is that while not all damage is recovered from, the majority of it is recovered, even to the point that scars are minimal. Sin Eaters tend not to come out of the bargain with permanent disabilities from what I've seen - even people who died from biological issues, like an allergic reaction, cancer or chocking from their own mucus, come back relatively no worse for wear. That said, I do remember one of the pre-made characters died by falling off a horse, and that he has a pop in his neck when he moves it a certain way, and a girl who died via copper poisoning found that her hair remained green afterwards, so quirks do remain.

I dunno, I suppose it's all up to the storyteller and players to work out?

Comment

I believe that some examples of the damage lingering from the death of the Sin-Eater can be found on the Balance of Shadows thread.

Now as I am currently working on a Sin-Eater/Beast chronicle this is my ruling on the Agreement and effects on the body.
                1. The damage done will heal, not quickly but full recovery will be made short of any amputations.
                2. If a player chooses and I stress chooses their maybe lingering effects brought on by beginning play before complete recovery. Example from the characters that have been created. Neil Morgan was chosen by Shards of Glass a human shaped collection of glass shards when he died by a glass shard from a broken window. The window cut him deeply in several places including his leg. This wound was the one that ended his life. If the person playing Neil decides that he wanted to push his character out of therapy early I would probably rule a he has a distinct limp, needs a cane, and has a penalty applied to movement and dexterity based actions. This could then be bought off over time as the wound fully heals.
                3. The other Sin-Eater starved to death sitting in front of a computer monitor. This character to start looks unhealthy, but as part of the new life is eating a lot more so I really don't think any kind of lingering effect is valid.

As Taidragon said this really is something that should be decided based on individual players and storytellers.

Comment

Within 2E mechanics, you can say that a freshly resurrected Bound has a Condition reflecting his original cause of death, granting penalties to certain Skills and Attributes, that resolve after time.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                    Within 2E mechanics, you can say that a freshly resurrected Bound has a Condition reflecting his original cause of death, granting penalties to certain Skills and Attributes, that resolve after time.
                    One way to handle it:

Sin Eaters heal cleanly (they don't need surgery to remove Persistent conditions that normally require it), and can walk off anything short of Lethal in record time. Beyond that (and their immunity to falling unconscious), they get hurt just like mortals. The bargain does the bare minimum necessary for you to be up and breathing again - and if you'd be left in a state that's useless for vicarious living, a suitable new vacancy just opened up...

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by amechra View Post

One way to handle it:

Sin Eaters heal cleanly (they don't need surgery to remove Persistent conditions that normally require it), and can walk off anything short of Lethal in record time. Beyond that (and their immunity to falling unconscious), they get hurt just like mortals. The bargain does the bare minimum necessary for you to be up and breathing again - and if you'd be left in a state that's useless for vicarious living, a suitable new vacancy just opened up...
                      Oooh, that body-hopping is brilliant. It kinda reminds me of the Claiming rules - perhaps one way of subtly telling that no, the Bound are not just humans with a death-god stapled on to them, but a half-ghost thing themselves now?

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post

Oooh, that body-hopping is brilliant. It kinda reminds me of the Claiming rules - perhaps one way of subtly telling that no, the Bound are not just humans with a death-god stapled on to them, but a half-ghost thing themselves now?
                        Everything we touch touches in return, no?

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

I would say that Geist heals you half time quicker and you get starting Condition - if you will have full Lethal, it still be like 7 days till your original recovery, instead of 14 in normal pace.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
                          My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                            I would say that Geist heals you half time quicker and you get starting Condition - if you will have full Lethal, it still be like 7 days till your original recovery, instead of 14 in normal pace.
                            Something like this?

New Condition: Fresh Bargain
                            You have just made a Bargain with a geist, becoming Bound to it. Being newly resurrected has its perks. You are alive, for one, and all your healing times are halved. Any Persistent Conditions related to bodily damage are resolved without Beats. On the other hand, the shock of death requires some adjustment time to recover from. You suffer a -2 penalty to any rolls involving Resolve, Stamina, or Composure.
                            Resolution: The Bound is restored to full health, and afterwards spends Experience on any Bound-specific trait, ability or Merit.

Comment

Hermit, so 2 Conditions - one of your original idea, related to death source, and second that let you heal at half time.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
                              My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Comment

Working...
                              X