What We Know So Far: Geist the Sin-Eater 2nd Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
    Plus it's "anchored to a concept of Death" not just "anchored to a concept", so Death would obviously still be enough.
    Not remotely the metaphysical quagmire I'm addressing by pointing out that requiring Spirit to affect wouldn't necessitate a geist be part spirit.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
      Not remotely the metaphysical quagmire I'm addressing by pointing out that requiring Spirit to affect wouldn't necessitate a geist be part spirit.
      I wasn't replying to you. I just saying you obviously wouldn't need a different Arcana to effect a ghost just because it has more Death put into it.

Comment

• I don't know where to place ideas I think would really make Geist cool at least for me

Make it so Geist enjoy living so much that they not only come back from the dead but can act like reapers as a temptation. When they reap someone they get that persons life added to them. They can take years from people and give it to others if they want.

Now this is where the saying "You reap what you sow" comes in. Keep killing to live longer rather then just living out your years with the second chance you got. Bad things happen, some times you get not only haunted by the ghosts of your past but some of these ghosts seek revenge. Ask yourself what happens when your victims become a geist and come after you or the people you love. Going full dark just taking lives for fun your key become a scythe

Now I know some Geists might find away around this to live longer such as taking lives of people in combat but maybe their should be a ritual you have to do on your key before you reap or maybe you can only reap to the type of death that is attuned to your key.
        Last edited by Basic; 08-25-2017, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Basic View Post
          I don't know where to place ideas I think would really make Geist cool at least for me

Make it so Geist enjoy living so much that they not only come back from the dead but can act like reapers as a temptation. When they reap someone they get that persons life added to them. They can take years from people and give it to others if they want.

Now this is where the saying "You reap what you sow" Keep killing to live longer rather then just living out your years with the second chance you got some times these ghosts seek revenge, what happens when your victims become a geist and come after you or the people you love. Going full dark just taking lives for fun and rather then having a Key you are now considered to have a ​scythe.

Now I know some Geists might find away around this to live longer such as taking lives of people in combat but maybe their should be a ritual you have to do on your key before you reap or maybe you can only reap to the type of death that is attuned to your key.
          Cool thoughts! There is going to be some type of being called Reapers in Geist 2E (based on the spoiler blubs from Dark Eras 2 World War I era), but they could very well be the non-Sin-eater Bound who glut on stolen life as you suggest.

Comment

• Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
            I wasn't replying to you. I just saying you obviously wouldn't need a different Arcana to effect a ghost just because it has more Death put into it.
            Wouldn't you still need Spirit for spirits of death? I'm not saying that I couldn't see the justification for Death alone, but if anchoring them to a concept of death makes them part spirit, then it might still require both.

Currently working on: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action
            Projects I've contributed to: C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

• Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post
              Wouldn't you still need Spirit for spirits of death? I'm not saying that I couldn't see the justification for Death alone, but if anchoring them to a concept of death makes them part spirit, then it might still require both.
              The notion I was forwarding was more specifically that Resonance is within the purview of the Spirit Arcanum but has no necessary implication of being part spirit; the only direct interaction the Death Arcanum has with Resonance thusfar relates to opening an Avernian Gate, and that's a rather more broad-scale Resonant tag than "Death by Fire" or "Death by Hanging" or "Death by Murder."

Spells like Corpse Mask can alter the apparent cause of death for a body, but in general it's not difficult to extrapolate the Moros's smaller rapport with the Underworld relative to the Thyrsus's influence on the Shadow into a necessary buffer between Death magic and the wider/more esoteric ecosystems of the Great Below.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
              Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• There are several rotes in the MtAw 2E corebook that are Death, Spirit, or Mind Specific to effect ghosts, spirits, or goetia respectively, but still have the (along with 2-5 dots in Death will also effect ghosts or in Mind will also effect Goetia, or in Spirit will also effect spirits). In my musings I just treat the Geist like a ghost. the Death specific rotes effect them normally. the rotes that say (add Death 2-5 dots to effect ghosts, would effect Geists when the Death dots and the spirit or mind dots are at the right level.

Comment

• Well if we're talking about neat ideas that we'd like to see, I think it would be neat to have the spectres of those whose lives have been cut short because of your Geist to bring you back again after your initial death be a topic. Shadowy phantoms that stare a distance that stand out from the other ghosts you can see. Ones that know you are to blame for their forced fate and are an obstacle to them moving on. In 1e you see the life of the person that died flash before your eyes so I'd like to believe it opens up a connection when you take their life force and it's a two way street that they can see out of. I imagine one could make for a particularly emotional or spiteful antagonist that keeps its distance from you and tries to ruin your life or hurt your loved ones as punishment for taking it's life.

...if this ends up being those ghosts with masks or the antagonist teased that knows about you when you know about it then I'll jump with joy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runcible View Post
                    Well if we're talking about neat ideas that we'd like to see, I think it would be neat to have the spectres of those whose lives have been cut short because of your Geist to bring you back again after your initial death be a topic. Shadowy phantoms that stare a distance that stand out from the other ghosts you can see. Ones that know you are to blame for their forced fate and are an obstacle to them moving on. In 1e you see the life of the person that died flash before your eyes so I'd like to believe it opens up a connection when you take their life force and it's a two way street that they can see out of. I imagine one could make for a particularly emotional or spiteful antagonist that keeps its distance from you and tries to ruin your life or hurt your loved ones as punishment for taking it's life.

...if this ends up being those ghosts with masks or the antagonist teased that knows about you when you know about it then I'll jump with joy.
                    Huh. I wrote a Geist Plot Hook about something similar to this. Very Planescape: Torment-y.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post

Except there is more mention of spirits of death. It's literally Ghost + More Death Symbols. There is no reason to assume that would give them Spirit symbols.

Comment

• hmm... if sin eaters still sacrifice people when they receive followup resurrections (which i hope is elaborated on more, does the geist need to leave the body to do this? range limit?) could the ghosts of those sacrificed come back to haunt the sin eater, perhaps as dangerous spirits rather than normal confused ghosts. It'd be neat if the ghosts of those sacrificed were noted antagonists, similar to the mekhet's shadow in requiem
                        Last edited by Darkfoxdev; 08-26-2017, 03:30 PM.

Comment

• So... Is there any news about the book? Any date for an Open Development blog?
                          Last edited by Zooroos; 09-08-2017, 02:41 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

• Originally posted by Darkfoxdev View Post
                            hmm... if sin eaters still sacrifice people when they receive followup resurrections (which i hope is elaborated on more, does the geist need to leave the body to do this? range limit?) could the ghosts of those sacrificed come back to haunt the sin eater, perhaps as dangerous spirits rather than normal confused ghosts. It'd be neat if the ghosts of those sacrificed were noted antagonists, similar to the mekhet's shadow in requiem
                            This actually sounds a bit intriguing! So...being haunted by your choices and the price to pay for returning back...sounds like it would absolutely fit well in this type of game!

Comment

• Originally posted by EldritchMinister View Post

This actually sounds a bit intriguing! So...being haunted by your choices and the price to pay for returning back...sounds like it would absolutely fit well in this type of game!
                              I won't lie the idea came from the Tithed ones in the time of reckoning scenarios for CtD

Comment

• Originally posted by Zooroos View Post
                                So... Is there any news about the book? Any date for an Open Development blog?
                                I've not heard a thing

Comment

Working...
                                X