How would you make Triads work in Geist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you make Triads work in Geist

I am thinking about getting about Geist when the second ed comes out and I have a question. How would you make Triads work as antagonists?

I'm not sure what you mean by Triads - please define.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasM View Post
      I'm not sure what you mean by Triads - please define.
      I meant Chinese gangsters. Like these guys. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triad_(organized_crime)

Comment

I expect they're talking about the Chinese organized crime societies.

At that point I'd recommend that they decide to back the Triad with a supernatural group. Mages, werewolves, vampires or Sin-Eaters. Based on the first game, and how progress is going with other games, I fully expect human enemies to be overwhelmingly outmatched when facing Sin-Eaters.

But traditionally Sin-Eater enemies will be those who upset ghosts, perhaps grave robbers or illegal organ thieving, or some other activity that leaves ghosts moaning about what happened to them and being unable to rest. Another route you may go would be to give them a sort of death-god-esque patron, but at that point you may want to wait for Sin-Eaters second edition to come out so you can see if that's something that would be a problem.

Comment

I would think that a changeling freehold or a mummy would work. The latter would be especially thematic for sineaters to deal with. Not only are they scary, but they have a unique relationship with death. Plus, when a mummy is in its death cycle, it is effectively a very old ghost. I'd love to see how a sneaker interacts with a mummy while it is in Twilight.

Of course, the caveat would be that the mummy has been in China most of its extended life, and thus is more mentally Chinese than Egyptian. Otherwise the flavor would be off. China has relics and history as old as Irem, and a Triad mummy would be like the ancestor and godfather/godmother all in one.
          Last edited by Cleverest of Things; 02-25-2017, 08:23 PM.

Comment

A mummy's cult in China isn't too far-fetched; the Nameless Empire stretched well past the borders of Irem, after all.

Comment

What about a Triad splinter group that turned into a death cult? It is a thing that happens within organized crime sometimes, (sure, in the real world it's small scale and without supernaturals behind, but still). Said group might have interest in finding Mementos, messing up with ghosts and the Underworld or generally do things that put it in conflict with the Sin-Eaters. The leader(s) might even be an abmortal or, why not, another Sin-Eater.

I also do like the Mummy idea mentioned above

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
              Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps". When not busy writing homebrew, I also try to write CoD fiction. (All paused until August)

I'm more friendly than I look, I'm just bad at showing it. Trying to improve about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleverest of Things View Post
                I would think that a changeling freehold or a mummy would work. The latter would be especially thematic for sineaters to deal with. Not only are they scary, but they have a unique relationship with death. Plus, when a mummy is in its death cycle, it is effectively a very old ghost. I'd love to see how a sneaker interacts with a mummy while it is in Twilight.

Of course, the caveat would be that the mummy has been in China most of its extended life, and thus is more mentally Chinese than Egyptian. Otherwise the flavor would be off. China has relics and history as old as Irem, and a Triad mummy would be like the ancestor and godfather/godmother all in one.
                We have multiple examples of Mummies living in Irem with Chinese themed cults. I'm not sure any of the prerequisites you list are really necessary. Mummies are a diaspora after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleverest of Things View Post

The Arisen have had 5000 years to get out of North Africa; it's completely feasible to imagine one who's been there for the last two Sothic Turns.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Working...
                  X