Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried running a Geist 1.5e?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Has anyone tried running a Geist 1.5e?

    I have an interested player with a really cool character concept for Geist, and I don't want to make them wait for Geist 2e (which for all we know is years down the road), but on the other hand I adore 2e, and find it's system for ghosts and other Ephemeral Entities vastly superior to the 1e system for the same, and ghosts play such a big role in Geist. I wonder if other people have hacked together any rules for bridging the gap between 1e Geist and 2e core rules, and if so how it went?


    Onyx Path Forum Moderator

    My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

    Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

  • #2
    To my knowledge, Baroness Nerak has been running an exceptional game of Geist: The Sin Eaters that has, well, run an exceptional length of time, one that was effectively updated to 1.5 midgame, and was kind enough to give me quite a lot of pointers on how to run such a game with Chronicles of Darkness. The link to that post is here; I hope it helps.
    Last edited by Taidragon; 03-30-2017, 06:17 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes. My game has been running a total of 7 years one month, and I updated most rules to 2e right when they came out, aside from beats. It's not too difficult


      Onyx Path Moderator
      Forum Rules
      This is my mod voice. This is my goth voice.
      [Geist: Balance of Shadows ][ Vampire: The Conspiracy of Hrad Černá Hora ][ Scion: Bohemian Front][Changeling: Malibu Dream House] [Demon: Night Train Detective Agency] [WoD: The Golden Eagle]

      Comment


      • #4
        I would love to learn and play in a Geist game, Just don't know to many people that play it. Lets change that to "I don't know any one that plays it".

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Hardwire99 View Post
          I would love to learn and play in a Geist game, Just don't know to many people that play it. Lets change that to "I don't know any one that plays it".
          I can only second that. I'd love to play one game, before trying my hands at running one once 2ed is out

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Wormwood View Post

            I can only second that. I'd love to play one game, before trying my hands at running one once 2ed is out
            Thirded. In spite of inherently being centered around death, Geist is one of the most positive games here, where second chances are up for grabs, you are no longer dead, and you can help the dead pass on to a (hopefully) better place. Unfortunately, Geist also seems to be one of the less played games, so finding a GM for it tends to be difficult.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Baroness Nerak View Post
              Yes. My game has been running a total of 7 years one month, and I updated most rules to 2e right when they came out, aside from beats. It's not too difficult
              That's good to know. What sort of changes, if any, did you make to get it to fit in with 2e?


              Onyx Path Forum Moderator

              My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

              Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

              Comment


              • #8
                Minimal, truthfully.

                Nearly everyone changed their Virtue and Vice. A few stayed the same, but most didn't.

                I tend to give Ghosts normal stats as described in Mummy, so some Numina systems changed to incorporate the Conditions.

                Right when it happened, there was a lot of discussion about Shroud and armor. One particular player pushed pretty hard for it to give less armor, as armor got way better. We wound up coming to a compromise where you got armor equal to half your shroud, rounded up. When he had to drop due to work changes, we immediately revered to the original rules that very session.

                There was some teeth gnashing about the power level of Professional across groups. Above player really did not want to allow it. We wound up only making it applicable to roles not involving power activation. This ruling was consistent across games.

                We did not use social maneuvering at first, but after seeing it in Demon we adopted it.


                That is what leaps to mind, there is probably more.


                Onyx Path Moderator
                Forum Rules
                This is my mod voice. This is my goth voice.
                [Geist: Balance of Shadows ][ Vampire: The Conspiracy of Hrad Černá Hora ][ Scion: Bohemian Front][Changeling: Malibu Dream House] [Demon: Night Train Detective Agency] [WoD: The Golden Eagle]

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Taidragon View Post

                  Thirded. In spite of inherently being centered around death, Geist is one of the most positive games here, where second chances are up for grabs, you are no longer dead, and you can help the dead pass on to a (hopefully) better place. Unfortunately, Geist also seems to be one of the less played games, so finding a GM for it tends to be difficult.
                  Fourth-ed-(ded?) I have a hard time finding anyone willing to play but I have a few character ideas and even story ideas myself, though I am crap at storytelling. If anyone ever decides to run one please hit me up.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Inspectorjavert, I ran a small game on Roll20 for a bit and plan on doing so again. If you'd like, when I have everything worked out, I can PM you.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X