Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would happened if a Sin Eater went into the Cursed House of the Grudge?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would happened if a Sin Eater went into the Cursed House of the Grudge?

Like if a Sin Eater went inside the house that was in the movie "The Grudge"?

mmm depends, haunted houses are standard fare for sin eaters and even those without the stigmata key have alot of abilities that affect ghosts, generally including ceremonies that can bind or ward them. assuming it's a lone sin eater there would be SOME danger but even then they are very equipped to handle this sort of thing. If i recall correctly the ghost was bound by a curse so that might throw the sin eater for a loop as simply resolving the ghosts anchors may not be enough.
    The danger may be that whoever is Storytelling this game may decide that the ghost is actually a geist due to it's often inhuman behaviors and appearance, and geists are more powerful than regular ghosts, if it's smart it won't kill the sin eater (thus unleashing the sin eater's own geist) but may trap him behind a wall or something similarly inescapable.
    All bets are off if the sin eater has the stigmata key and the manifestations/haunts that control and effect ghosts, then the sin eater will likely be fine (and less moral sin eaters may trap the ghost and use the haunting as a tool or weapon against others... possibly attracting the player krew as the main plot of a story)

Comment

only one reply?

Comment

I mean it really just comes down to the rank of the ghost, the experience and personal powers of the Sin-Eater and whether or not he's alone. Bar a Mage, a Sin-Eater is the most well equipped to deal with these sort of things.

Comment

I'd say that it depends crucially upon what 'Kayako' is, metaphysically speaking - and what your plot for her will be. A ghost or some form? The remains of a Beast/an unfettered Horror of some kind (or whatever the specific name for them is)? 'An inferno' demon or even an Abyssal spirit - the various films provide plenty of scope to surprise.

Have you seen him?

Comment

considering that I think in one of the sequels, the Grudge takes over the whole world, they might be able to contain it with constant vigilance, but I'm not sure they could destroy it.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
              considering that I think in one of the sequels, the Grudge takes over the whole world, they might be able to contain it with constant vigilance, but I'm not sure they could destroy it.
              I'm pretty sure that it depends on what it is.

Whatever it is, it is related to Death in some fashion. The two entities themselves feel like Ghost (or Ghost like) forms of some kind seeing as how they are the emotional resonance of the people/deaths that they left behind which is very much how Ghosts are described in ChroD (especcially 2nd Ed).

On the flip-side, the are arcane-like rules (almost fate-bound rules) to who the entities haunt and kill and effect which does feel different from Ghosts (at least standard ghosts) and could be some sort of variation on a Spirit or other Ephemeral Entity. It's possible they might either be topside Kerberoi (or a single Kerberoi manifested as two 'bodies') that was able to get there by some sort of law or ritual (which is why it takes the form of the two that died). My thinking on that is because of how "law-abiding" kerberoi and their dominions are is kinda similar to the weird rules that The Grudge operates off of.

On the other-hand, they might be ghost-like entities similar to Geists in how they're ghosts but morphed based on ceremonies/circumstances to give laws/rules to their power and anchors. They could also be deathly ephemeral entities enchanted with Fate magic of some kind (be it Wyrd or Supernal) or the like.

In pretty much all cases, I'm pretty sure a Bound could do something about it (just maybe not permanently depending on what exactly it is). Things like punting it directly into the Underworld (<-- that was stated simply but would def not be an easy task and may span a Chronicle) to eviscerating it with it's Bane (there by breaking the Curse). On the other hand if it's a Kerberoi... /shrug? I don't really know a lot on how to deal with them, if I remember correctly 1st Ed mostly just said "follow their rules and if you Eff up: Run". And if it's less of an entity and really much more of some kind of Fate-Bound Curse... Not sure but I feel like their Ceremonies could divert it or at the very least contain it within added rules to the Curse. Sin-Eater ceremonies mostly worked off of thinking they'll work so I'm sure there's something that could be done but it would be a lot more iffey.

Anyways those were my thoughts.

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

Working...
              X