New Keys for 2e

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Keys for 2e

One of the changes in 2e seems to be a change in the conceptual places of Keys in the setting. While in 1e they were a set of abilities meant to manipulate the existing powers of the Bound, now they are more of thematic representation of the character's death, which seems to me like more of a Kith/Judge like splats than actual powers. As presented, each of the Keys covers a certain death, and is connected to a certain attribute. While the presented nine Keys present a complete set, it does not mean, however, that we can't potentially have more than one such "set", that is, having new Keys separated by their own themes and Doom, but which share an attribute with one of the existing Keys. As we do not yet know how Dooms actually work, we can't homebrew them right now- but we can already start thinking about what new, potential Keys may exist, and to which attributes they may be connected.

After thinking about it for a bit, here is what I've got-

The Key of Winter Night - the Frozen Key, the Key of Snow and Sleep, the Key of Argent Solitude. Represents death by cold, and connected to Stamina.

The Key of Poisons- the Venomous Key, the Key of Sting and Toxin, the Key of Prismatic Pain. Represents death by poisons, venom, acids, drugs and all other nasty chemicals, and connected to Manipulation.

The Key of Lightning Hit- the Thunder Key, the Key of Storm and Wire, the Key of Indigo Consumption. Represents death by electricity, and connected to Dexterity.

The Key of Sun Burn- the Nuclear Key, the Key of Boil and Radiance, the Key of Vermilion Suffering. Represents death by radiation, both sunlight and nuclear, and connected to Composure.

The Key of Sorcery- the Occult Key, the Key of Curse and Spell, the Key of Unseen Damnation. Represents death by supernatural intervention, and is connected to Intelligence.

The Key of Sacrifice- the Martyred Key, the Key of Blade and Altar, the Key of Platinum Offering. Represents death by self sacrifice or faith, and is connected to Resolve.

The Key of Industry- the Clockwork Key, the Key of Time and Order, the Key of Smokey Exhaustion. Represents death by work overload, and is connected to Wits.

The Key of Hunger- the Hollow Key, the Key of Void and Need, the Key of Rusting Passion. Represents death by hunger, and is connected to Presence.

The Key of Punishment- the Vengeful Key, the Key of Law and Execution, the Key of Iron Tyranny. Represents death by execution, and is connected to Strength.

Of course, one may find certain overlapping themes between Keys- where is the line between poison and sickness? A person who dies alone in the desert or from hunger in the basement of a madman may be Silent, but may also be Sun Burned/Hungry. Being hit by a lightning is death by electricity or chance? And what about getting killed by a supernatural curse? And when does a death by sacrifice or punishment becomes different enough from the way of the execution? I assume that such overlap is only natural, and I expect some reference to it in the book, but I assume that the chosen Key would be the ones with the strongest association, and that there is a reason why the character actually starts with 2 Keys (the ones of her own death, and the ones represented by the Geist).

So what do you think? Do you have ideas of your own for new Keys?

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

The Key of Haze – The Torpid Key, The Key of Sheets and Succor, the Key of Pearlaceous Lethargy.
    Unlock Attribute: Resolve
    Resonance:
    Doom:
    Deaths occurred through a sleeping disorder: either fatal hazard due to somnambulism, sleep deprivation, or a supernatural, lethal oniric encounter.

The Key of Bliss – The Rousing Key, the Key of Sighs and Moans, the Key of Scarlet Excitement.
    Unlock Attribute: Presence
    Resonance:
    ​Doom:
    Death occurred directly because of sexual or autoerotic activities. Tied to Presence.

The Key of Labor – The Barren Key, the Key of Toys and Tenderness, Key of Lavender Innocence.
    Unlock Attribute: Stamina
    Resonance: The Key of Labor is Resonant whenever the life of a sentient being that clearly can't fend off for themselves due to its immaturity is in line. That includes children and Rank 1 Ghosts still unaware of their death.
    ​Doom:
    Mothers (or, exceedingly rarely, infants) dead during labor.

The Key of Faded Trail – The Vagrant Key, the Key of Path and Compass, the Key of Ebon Nostalgy.
    Unlock Attribute: Intelligence
    Resonance: The Key of Faded Trail is considered resonant when targeting a being with the ability to access and leave Twilight, but who is not attuned to Death-Twilight.
    ​Doom:
    Mortals dead after having unknowingly - or unwittingly -crossed a portal leading to one of the liminal realms beyond mundane reality: a Twilight Verge, a Hedge Gateway, a Beast's Primordial Pathway, etc.

(NB. This Key obviously doesn't account for places too removed from our plane that even supernatural denizens have little chance to reach them, such as the Supernal Realms, Arcadia or the Duat. It is unknown if a mortal having died in the Underworld could form a Bound displaying this Key.)

The Key of Myrtle Crown – The Glittering Key, the Key of Fame and Chatter, the Key of Purple Ingratitude.
    Unlock Attribute: Manipulation
    Resonance: The Key of Myrtle Crown is resonant whenever the Sin-Eater is socially put on the spot, and submitted to the judgment and scrutiny of a critical audience.
    ​Doom:
    Deaths tied to fame, gossips. rumors and slander. Tied to Manipulation.

The Key of Alliance – The Twining Key, The Key of Awe and Mirror, The Key of Coral Resolution.
    Unlock Attribute: Composure
    Resonance:
    ​Doom:
    Death to imitate or join people, or to conform to a trend (Werther Effect, suicid pacts, blue whale challenge, etc). Tied to Composure.

The Key of Evasion – The Slippery Key, the Key of Maze and Minefield, the Key of Fulvous Defiance.
    Unlock Attribute: Dexterity
    Resonance:
    ​Doom:
    Death while trying to cross a spatial boundary one's not supposed to cross (trying to break in or out of a bank, trying to escape from a prison, being shot while trying to cross a no man's land, etc.)

The Key of Crowds – The Coiling Key, the Key of Rush and Noise, the Key of Ochre Panic.
    Unlock Attribute: Wits
    Resonance: Whenever the Sin-Eater attempts to get closer to a thing or being, in spite of it frightening enough people to makes them run away in the opposite direction, it is considered resonant to the Key of Crowds.
    ​Doom:
    Death due to crowds (stampede, riots).

--------------------------------------------

The Key of Coconut - The Staggering Key, The Key of Palm and Beach, the Key of Brownish Bowling Balls. Death due to coconut falls. Tied to Dexterity.

('k I'm joking with the last one. Still, it would be a cool character.)
    Last edited by Adrasalieth; 07-17-2018, 09:35 AM.

Comment

The Key of Fools - Darwin's Key, the Key of Idiots and Folly, the Key of Violet Conclusion. Self-Inflicted Death due to one's own stupidity or ill consideration. Tied to Intelligence.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Adrasalieth View Post
        The Key of Sleep – The Torpid Key, The Key of Sheets and Succor, the Key of Pearly Succor. Death occurred during sleep or, more rarely, due to sleep deprivation. Tied to Resolve.
        While it may be early to judge, I think that Keys are more the cause of death than the state you were as you died. As such, I don't think that dying while asleep would be a Key, but dying from the lack of sleep would (unless it would be something more exotic, like dying because of a nightmare/dream). Same for the Key of Bliss, and the other Keys dedicated for when/where you died.

The Key of Labor – The Barren Key, the Key of Toys and Tenderness, Key of Lavender Innocence. Mothers dead during labor, but also children dead very early in their life. Tied to Stamina.
        Again, dying while you are a child does not sound like a Key to me- but dying during labor sounds like a great Key (or or more rarely, a child dying while birth). Sure, it may mean that this Key is made entirely/mostly out of women, but I'm fine with it. After all, Aztec religion had an whole Underworld for women who did in childbirth- and the concept of a Sin Eater cult dedicated to this Key during the Aztec Empire sounds like a great concept, IMO (not to mention that the Aztec Empire has produced a large amount of death- so it makes sense for them to actually hold an unbroken tradition of Sin Eaters).

The Key of Heavy Crown – The Kingdom’s Key, the Key of Fame and Failure, the Key of Purple Ingratitude. Death due to a privileged existence’s behavior or obligations (fame or high Status). Tied to Composure.
        I'm not sure which death would fit for this Key. Do you have an example?

The Key of Alliance – The Twining Key, The Key of Awe and Mirror, The Key of Coral Resolution. Death made to imitate or join people (Werther Effect), or to conform to a trend (suicid pact, blue whale challenge, etc). Tied to Manipulation.
        Well, suicide is a touchy subject, but it does sound like a valid Key (at least, the part you die because of the "trend", or even a ritual sacrifice where you die while representing some mythical event- perhaps something like the Winter King suggested in one of the Wolfiday threads).

The Key of Evasion – The Slippery Key, the Key of Maze and Minefields, the Key of Tanned Defiance. Death while trying to escape from a place where one’s being trapped. Tied to Dexterity.
        very thin boundary between the state you died and the cause of your death. It could work, but it may require some refining.

The Key of Crowds – The Coiling Key, the Key of Rush and Noise, the Key of Ochre Panic. Death due to crowds (stampede, riots). Tied to Wits.
        yeah, that one sounds like a good Key- even if a terrifying one
        Last edited by LostLight; 02-24-2018, 02:18 PM.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
          The Key of Fools - Darwin's Key, the Key of Idiots and Folly, the Key of Violet Conclusion. Self-Inflicted Death due to one's own stupidity or ill consideration. Tied to Intelligence.
          Is it a joke, or a real suggestion? I must say I can't tell :P

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
            Is it a joke, or a real suggestion? I must say I can't tell :P
            My work is done, then.

It really could go either way. Death due to one's own actions is distinct enough.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

This reminds me of David Morgan-Mar's Irregular Webcomic, in which each cause of death has its own psychopomp, and the causes are extremely specific - so you get Death by Insanely Overpowered Fireballs, Death by Choking on a Giant Frog, Death by Inhaling Hatmaking Chemicals, and Death by Being Wrestled by Steve as speaking characters.

Comment

While it may be early to judge, I think that Keys are more the cause of death than the state you were as you died.
                Yeah, you're right. I think I was aiming for something like your Key of Punishment (an array of potential causes of death, tied to a particular, overarching theme). But I'm gonna rework them into something that's more "cause of death" than "state while dying". Thanks a lot for all your suggestions for individual Keys !

NB: I still think that the key of Bliss kinda works as is: after all, there's a number of sexual practices that can directly lead to one's death. Not necessarily the healthiest ones, but a Geist rarely stems from anything healthy at all :3

I'm not sure which death would fit for this Key. Do you have an example?
                Maybe something like the Karoshi in Japan for work, or the 27 club for celebrities. All those times when one's privileged place in society turns against him, to the point where only death can really get him out of that place that everyone envies. It can be hard for some people to commiserate those people, because we either think it's inherent to their social role (salarymen are stressed and celebrities behave recklessly) or because we find it hard to pity someone rich, powerful and/or famous, deeming them ungrateful for the chance they had.

EDIT: Whoopsies, forgot about your Industry Key already covering the Karoshi. Well, I think that Heavy Crown will lean more on the celeb side of the equation. I'll think about it for a while and tweak it to fit that better.

Again, dying while you are a child does not sound like a Key to me - but dying during labor sounds like a great Key (or or more rarely, a child dying while birth). Sure, it may mean that this Key is made entirely/mostly out of women, but I'm fine with it. After all, Aztec religion had an whole Underworld for women who did in childbirth- and the concept of a Sin Eater cult dedicated to this Key during the Aztec Empire sounds like a great concept, IMO (not to mention that the Aztec Empire has produced a large amount of death- so it makes sense for them to actually hold an unbroken tradition of Sin Eaters).
                One world: Tzitzimitl.

(Which makes me think we should start a thread with the cultures we think have hosted the most Sin-Eaters throughout history. I might post it in one day or two).
                Last edited by Adrasalieth; 02-25-2018, 09:41 PM.

Comment

I can't contribute as yet because... work... and being swamped at that, I must pipe in that I'll at least be eyeing this thread because it is cool. I really do think keys are ripe for the homebrewing as really they're just nice ways of customizing the Dooms that one would suffer. We're not yet totally clear what all would constitute a Doom but all the same, doesn't sound hard to homebrew them onto new keys.

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

The Key Of Warmongers - The Mass-Grave Key, The Key Of Kings And Rebellions, The Key Of Stark Atrocity: The Key tied to mass killings and genocide, of ethnic cleansing and self righteous crusades ending in the slaughter of helpless multitudes. Connected to Resolve.

Doom: The Doom that falls upon those who call on the power of the Key Of Warmongers is a particularly damning one; a curse sure to tear at what passes for a Sin-Eater’s soul in all but the most jaded And calloused of Bound. Once utilized, the Key Of Warmongers cannot be Unlocked again until the Sin-Eater kills a number of innocent people equal to the successes made on any Haunt roll using the Mass-Grave Key, or the number of Plasm Points gained if used to recharge their Pool. The power to affect the dead en masse is balanced by The extinguishing of life en masse.
                    Last edited by Korogra; 03-01-2018, 08:40 PM.

Comment

The Key of Creation: The Painted Key, The Key of Sculptors and Poets, The Key of Rainbow Frescos: The Key tied to putting one's own art and creations above one's own life, forged by the blood of musicians who neglected their health to focus on their symphonies and photographers who put themselves at risk to behold the horror and glory of war personally, as well as politicians who would rather die than betray the ideology they pioneered and those executed for making art critical of the state. Connected to Presence.

The Key of Freedom: The Prisoner's Key, the Key of Freedmen and Defiance, The Key of Alabaster Liberation: The Key of choosing death over bondage, hurling oneself over the edge of a slave ship, starving to death rather than eat prison food, being shot by an invader's tanks during a firefight where you gave no ground. Connected to Resolve.
                      Last edited by Leliel; 03-02-2018, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post
                        The Key of Creation: The Painted Key, The Key of Sculptors and Poets, The Key of Rainbow Frescos: The Key tied to putting one's own art and creations above one's own life, forged by the blood of musicians who neglected their health to focus on their symphonies and photographers who put themselves at risk to behold the horror and glory of war personally, as well as politicians who would rather die than betray the ideology they pioneered and those executed for making art critical of the state. Connected to Presence.

The Key of Freedom: The Prisoner's Key, the Key of Freedmen and Defiance, The Key of Alabaster Liberation: The Key of choosing death over bondage, hurling oneself over the edge of a slave ship, starving to death rather than eat prison food, being shot by an invader's tanks during a firefight where you gave no ground. Connected to Resolve.
                        The Key Of Freedom would be a good foil to my Key Of Warmongers

Comment

Working...
                        X