No announcement yet.

[2E] Dead Dominions and folklore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Returning to the topic after official 2E Preview on Dominions. Remember, we talk here about stuff that is (semi) non-canon, Dominions based on human beliefs ‘fun-mirror’. Let’s start with stuff from Dark Eras 1 book, precisely Wolf & Raven Viking chapter.

Gehenna
    Some souls enter the Underworld and see only a place of punishment. Without their glorious heaven of warmth, light, and beauty, they believe they are damned and exiled to an eternity of torture. They sink deeper and deeper into despair until pain is all that they can feel.

Gehenna is a landscape of broken stone and deep pits filled by funeral pyres. Wailing screams rise on the hot winds along with the smell of burning meat. The eldest denizens have become the daemons who lord their strength over the others, patrolling the domain and brutalizing imprisoned souls. Most souls beg travelers for deliverance or demand their freedom; others wallow in their fates, addicted to the punishments they suffer. Crossing this place is fraught with danger, from the inhospitable landscape to the monstrous souls that assault any passers-by.

The Kerberos here is Satanis, a giant man with the beastly head of a goat. His skin blisters beneath a layer of sizzling grease. Up close it becomes obvious that the goat’s head is a leather mask, like the heathens wear at harvest ceremonies but permanently bound in place. His jaw strains against the thick leather as pained grunts escape his lips and his wild eyes bulge through holes that gouge into the sockets.

Torturing imprisoned souls provides him a distraction from the pain of his own constriction and burning. There is no dealing or bargaining with this one. Sin-Eaters must be strong
    enough to fight or quick enough to flee.

Old Laws: Deliverance must come at the hands of an other. Accept punishment for your sins and crimes. Do not interfere with another's punishment.

Getting There: Find a bronze monotheistic faith symbol ( Star of David, Cross, Calligraphic representation of the word Allah ) and burn it in the flames. In the same pyre smith the shackles. In those on your hand, go in the darkest night outside.

Story Hooks
    • Christian ghost run from the Gehenna back to living world to fulfil his (un)lifelong revenge. Agents of Satanis are looking over him here. Is it just to give ghost back to ‘daemons’, for eternal punishment? Or let vengeful soul to kill people?
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 07-27-2018, 11:38 PM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

For the Old Laws, instead of something so direct, what about something like "Deliverance must come at the hands of an other", "Accept punishment for your sins/crimes", and "Do not interefere with another's punishment"?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
        For the Old Laws, instead of something so direct, what about something like "Deliverance must come at the hands of an other", "Accept punishment for your sins/crimes", and "Do not interefere with another's punishment"?
        Looks good, I edit them in text. EDIT: I changed Old Laws in Gehenna.
        Last edited by wyrdhamster; 07-27-2018, 11:40 PM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

First take on totally non-canon Dominion - but based on Celtic afterlife. Comments looked for.

Tír na nÓg
          There is place where time has stopped. Where literally you cannot drink or ate – or you will be banished from this paradise. Called Tír na nÓg ("Land of the Young") , Tír Tairngire ("Land of Promise/Promised Land"),Tír fo Thuinn ("Land under the Wave"), Mag Mell ("Plain of Delight/Delightful Plain"), In that place you must be perfect. Nothing short of ideal will let you live there.

Tír na nÓg is a place of great beauty. Perfect streams. Perfect plains. Perfect woods. Perfect mountains. For visitors first time seeing it – it’s breath taking. And it’s better be as you in this land cannot show any sign of weakness. Any minor mistake, any resemble of your earth life – they all need to perish. You must be perfect in life or you will perish.

The Kerberoi here are Tuath Dé Danann , people of the goddess Danu, led by their king Nuada that has perfect silver limb instead of right arm. That is mark of him breaking Old Law that he needed to repay later on to return to this realm. Nuada is ideal chiselled man in always early 30s, with storm of half long hairs. Accompany him his wraith dogs, ready to rend any being not agreeing with his judgment.

There are rumors that in Tír na nÓg are portals and passes to Avalon, land of Fae.

Old Laws: Perfection is the way of live.

Getting There: In a burial mound or cave, you must close your eyes or put a blindfolds on you them. Then you must perfectly go in to the end of chamber – and hit the wall that disappear as you touch it.

Story Hooks
          • Mortal have been lost in the burial mound and disappear to the Land of the Young. Without the instructions how to live there – he will be torn apart by dogs of Nuada. Or worse.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Wouldn't the Irish Dominion be Tech Duinn instead of Tired na Nog?

Comment

Yeah, you probably right. I recast Tír na nÓg as local Changeling Arcadia variant – and putted Tech Duinn as Underworld Dominion.

Tech Duinn ( "House of the Dark One")
              Tech Duinn is a representation of darkness in the living world – dense forests, its deep lakes, its castle ruins and its grabbing rivers. It’s shores are constantly pressed by the sea crashing into the rocks, under constant storm. It’s an large island inside sea of darkness and ending that is Ocean of Fragments.

Tech Duinn's is a place where dead goes to before final resting. It’s darkened world – with heavy clouds and dim lighting, like just before eternal rain - but mirroring world of living. Souls come here before they great resetting, dissolving in the Ocean of Fragments, and returning to the Great Cycle. Ghosts here are reliving their lives so they can pure themselves of any baggage before their final destination, putted before not only past memories – but also before elements. From time to time comes Great Storm, washing away the dead to the Ocean of Fragments – those that do not fight it, are forever dissolved in it’s waters.

The Kerberos here is Donn, The Dark One. Most commonly seen as beautiful man, but overlaid with shadow, like he was standing wrong in sunny day. Those that ire him see the great cloud of moving darkness, like living pall of worst storm. There is saying that Donn is using souls under his care – or treasuring them. Most of the time, dead are looked over by the Pale Raiders of the Dark One – skeletal figures under red cape and hoods, raiding skeletal horses in red mantel. Apparently their saying in official matters is "We ride the horses of Donn - although we are alive, we are dead.”

There are rumours that in Tech Duinn are portals and passes to Tír na nÓg, Land of Fae.

Old Laws: Face the past. Fight the storm.

Getting There: By the crossing sea into West on the storm – you must call the name ‘Donn’ three times to the waves. You will woke up on the shores of Tech Duinn.

Story Hooks
              • Long lost shipwrecked returns to the community. He says about island of darkness and bone chilling sights. Is he found out location of Tech Duinn?
              Last edited by wyrdhamster; 07-29-2018, 01:07 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I was thinking for some Dominion for atheists or no religious groups - technically called Limbo - that would be very big place of total dark nothingness. But it's so simple and boring - and I hardly cannot think something more fitting for atheists - that I'm blank here. Re-reading official Dominions from 2E Preview I see that Cavern of Flame, Dead Forest or Crosswords - all work as 'atheists' Dominions on first look. So maybe stick to official ones on this groups matters? Or maybe you have good ideas for Dominions for non-believers?

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                  I was thinking for some Dominion for atheists or no religious groups - technically called Limbo - that would be very big place of total dark nothingness. But it's so simple and boring - and I hardly cannot think something more fitting for atheists - that I'm blank here. Re-reading official Dominions from 2E Preview I see that Cavern of Flame, Dead Forest or Crosswords - all work as 'atheists' Dominions on first look. So maybe stick to official ones on this groups matters? Or maybe you have good ideas for Dominions for non-believers?
                  Strictly speaking, Atheists merely do not believe in any deity, so as long as the Dominion lacks something claiming to that, it is valid. Remember that most people have had encounters with the supernatural in the Chronicles setting - so outright denial of its possible existence is less likely.

Comment

Navya (Slavic underworld)

Most of this Dominion sloughed off into the Ocean of Fragments long ago, but a remnant can be found as an island amidst the River Smorodina.

"River" might be stretching it a bit; the Smorodina is a foul-smelling swamp, and only a Ferryman can navigate its braided channels without running aground - or running afoul of a Cthonian lurker. Most of its shores are choked with sickly plants and rotting vegetation, though drinking from its waters is rumored to reveal new supernatural powers if you're willing to put up with its stench. Hummocks of soggy soil merge seamlessly with the water's scummy surface, and anyone approaching on foot should beware sinkholes and quicksand lest they are sucked down into a stagnant pool.

There is a spot, however, where the plants begin to perk up: bushes, then trees emerge from the mud and reach towards the sunless vaults of the Underworld. Though any bridges have long since collapsed, in the middle of the swamp a gate is still visible, and if you manage to pick your way to it, you will enter what remains of Navya.

Navya was once a lush place, full of placid Barghests and never-ending music for those willing to abide by its Old Laws. The fragment that remains is still strangely lush, and a few ghostly livestock still roam the island, picking their way around the steep-sided pits that lead directly to the Ocean of Fragments. These pits begin to draw visitors in the longer they spend in the broken Dominion, urging them to dive into oblivion. Even standing on the edges is risky, as the earth is liable to slump unexpectedly, a little more of Navya crumbling every day.

One ghost remains, an old woman strumming a Castoff guitar. She sits next to a dragon-like serpent that sleeps coiled around the base of a massive tree. The tree stretches up into darkness, meeting (and perhaps penetrating?) the roof of the cavern. The serpent's coils are each as wide as a car, and if it opened its jaws, it would easily be able to swallow a a person (or even one of the spectral cows) in one bite. But it sleeps; and if asked, the woman will explain that, should the serpent awaken, its movements would be more than enough to finally, fatally, destabilize the last remnants of the fallen Dominion.

Would the roots of that great tree remain suspended, though, if all else fell away?

Do you really want to risk finding out?

Old Laws: Harm not the animals or plants; music must not cease; oaths are binding

Getting there: Put a coin in your mouth and submerge yourself in water. Count to seven in a dead language before you come up again. Follow the water downstream; it will meet the Smorodina eventually.

Smorodina, River of Magic: Drinking from the Smorodina grants knowledge of a single Numen, Dread Power, one-dot Ceremony or one-dot Supernatural Merit the drinker did not possess before. This can go over the usual limits on the number of such powers imposed by Rank. In addition to the usual damage from drinking of a River, however, the Smorodina's stench clings to the drinker. This imposes a -3 penalty on dice pools related to social interaction or stealth, and for social maneuvering purposes all impressions are downgraded one step. The smell is still perceptible to mortals even when the source is not Manifested.

To shed this stench, the drinker must either surrender all knowledge of the power they gained, or gain (or lose) a dot of Integrity or Synergy. Rumor has it that the Kerebos of Navya could also remove it, when it was still awake.

Comment

I think that most Dominions would fit an atheist, after all, most Dominions don't seem to be religious in nature. I'd also say that if you're going for the 'eternal darkness of oblivion' understanding of death, then I'm not sure it would really work as a Dominion; though if you needed to have such a place, I'd put it underneath the Ocean of Fragments.

Raksi plays Peek-a-boo for keeps. ~ nalak42

Comment

Originally posted by Kleptomania View Post

I think that most Dominions would fit an atheist, after all, most Dominions don't seem to be religious in nature. I'd also say that if you're going for the 'eternal darkness of oblivion' understanding of death, then I'm not sure it would really work as a Dominion; though if you needed to have such a place, I'd put it underneath the Ocean of Fragments.
                        One could also do seemingly endless sensory absorbing void. If the inhabitants can't perceive anything other than themselves, how are they certian they aren't obliterated? Old Laws could be something like Do Not Disturb The Silence and Claim Nothing As True.

For a representation in media, Casiel's situation in early season 13 of Supernatural.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                          For a representation in media, Casiel's situation in early season 13 of Supernatural.
                          Also, the Abyss/Hell from Demon: the Fallen. There's a nice piece of writing where it's described as 'very nearly nothing at all, a void marred only by our awareness of it', and one of the demons says that it's worse than torture because you can get used to sensation, while you can't to deprivation of sensation (in their case, slightly filled by the landscapes the Fallen constructed of their own negative emotions, but that's beside the point).

Comment

hmm, I am confused because the books make it seem like the Dead dominions specifically come about due to the people who died and disappear when they are no longer needed.

Like their example was Mictlan was there for those who died to Cortez and the Sainted Kingdom was there for those who died from the plague. How is that not being affected by the core belief of those who died?

Comment

Originally posted by PrinceKittyCat View Post
                              Like their example was Mictlan was there for those who died to Cortez and the Sainted Kingdom was there for those who died from the plague. How is that not being affected by the core belief of those who died?
                              I go with interpretation that modern Dominions are much more philosophical than religious as world population is more and more Secular each year. Less people truly believes in particular Afterlife vision, less ghosts go to the Dominion their living originals were dreaming of.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I go with interpretation that modern Dominions are much more philosophical than religious as world population is more and more Secular each year. Less people truly believes in particular Afterlife vision, less ghosts go to the Dominion their living originals were dreaming of.
                                I mean, that's not how the Underworld works, but whatever, you do you

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                                The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                                Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Working...
                                X