No announcement yet.

Geist Kickstarter Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally getting to the manuscript, I really appreciate that there's a wide variety of example Sin-Eaters and geists (geister?). I like the lighter mood for the game, too.
    Last edited by nofather; 07-09-2018, 12:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
      Finally getting to the manuscript, I really appreciate that there's a wide variety of example Sin-Eaters and geists (geister?). I like the lighter mood for the game, too.
      The mood is lighter? I did not get that impression at all. Neat!
      I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the matter later, nofather.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
        Finally getting to the manuscript, I really appreciate that there's a wide variety of example Sin-Eaters and geists (geister?). I like the lighter mood for the game, too.

The examples of Geists are a relief, for sure. I found them hard to come with in 1st edition.
        Can't wait for the new preview today - as I thought the mechanics were one of the weakest part of 1st edition, this will be a pivotal chapter!

Comment

• OK so today's preview is good BUT I wished it came with the Conditions Appendix as it makes getting the Haunts a bit hard at times!

Comment

• Would it be bad form to do a 'kick the tires' step by step creation thread for the game on the forum? It has not been released yet and the previews are limited to backers, but I won't be revealing a lot of the details; more just checking out the processes

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• I've noticed some inconsistencies, sadly. Some are just wording (i.e. is it Root and Vine or Root and Bloom) but the Character Creation Quick Reference section mentions two things the full section doesn't, unless I'm missing it---namely, the quickref section mentions something called Passion and states that Bound get the Medium merit free, both of which are not in the preceding text.

I'm no less excited and interested, mind you!

EDIT: Also, Touchstones. Character Creation says you start with two Touchstones and implies a connection to Root and Bloom. Then the Touchstones section says you start with a Touchstone at Synergy 1 and get more as you go along.
              Last edited by Beans; 07-09-2018, 12:56 PM.

Abyssals: Whom Death Has Called, a PEACH-as-heck attempt to make an Abyssal 3E holdover.

Where I try to make Artifacts. When I finish them I'll probably post them in the Artifact Workshop thread so people can help me hammer them into shape.

Comment

• Anyone else having trouble accessing the manuscript? I get a 502 error when I click on the link

Comment

• Well, that was a really nice preview. Keys are creepy, Deathmasks are scary, Haunts are horrifying. I think In like the Geist Creation and Unleashing process, as it actually treat it as a distinct being, with wishes and needs of its own, while still bound to its Sin Eater. I do like the fact that I've predicted the "memento collection" trend that Sin Eater society has (I mean, it just looked so appropriate!), and that for Sin Eaters, being "Dead" is a Condition :P

I'm still not sure how I feel toward the fact that Sin Eaters don't actually have any "karma stat"- they can cheat, steal, murder and even eat other humans- when one of their Haunts actually require the last one- but as long as they don't eat other ghosts, no worries! Sure, it may cause Crises Points to their geist, but again, it only puts a greater emphasis that the responsible character in the due in an half mad ghost who can't even recall its own name, which means something. On the other hand, I assume that it does works well with the whole "the Bound are dead and soulless, inside and out", and that "death is freedom and celebration unbound by human soul" things which goes on.

Also- as any Deathmask can bestow a Reaper status upon a ghost, it means that Sin Eaters must be very careful about killing other Bound and their geists, or else an unsuspecting ghost may become a servant of the Chthonic Gods. Also, doesn't it give you the feeling of a non Sin Eater Krew which serves the gods of the Bellow and kills Sin Eaters in order to create more Reapers? Yikes.

Now I'm really eager to see the "non Sin Eater" Archetypes, and how they operate in the Bound society :P

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
                    Would it be bad form to do a 'kick the tires' step by step creation thread for the game on the forum? It has not been released yet and the previews are limited to backers, but I won't be revealing a lot of the details; more just checking out the processes
                    I don't think so. Anyone who wants to access the previews can pledge a dollar, download the pdfs, then withdraw their pledge while they read them, so it's not like a character creation thread would reveal anything that wasn't already basically public knowledge.

Also, it would be fun to spin off some of the characters that get created to test out the Krewe creation rules,

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
                    He/His Pronouns
                    CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• Jeff on the Kickstarter website said he would try to get us the Conditions chapter early

Comment

• Originally posted by Daigotsu Max View Post
                        Jeff on the Kickstarter website said he would try to get us the Conditions chapter early
                        Thank doG for that. I'm looking forward to seeing what those Conditions do.

Comment

• I think the intent of the last level of the Caul is that it isn't Ectophagia-the ghost so eaten puts himself back together, because his mind is still intact. He likely wants to jump into a shower pipe and never come out, and he has some choice words about your love of beans, but he's physically intact. Hell, it's possible he came up with the idea, because you're material, and he's not.

That needs to be specified.

Comment

• Hi! I have read pieces of the first preview, and I'm think is the order of the chapters not inverted? Should Chapter 2 be the first one? The Road Back (Chapter 2) is kind of setting right? and The Quick and the Dead (Chapter 1) deals with Characters and little setting.

Maybe it's just me but it feels as if in Exalted first you explain the Celestial and Terrestial Exalteds THEN you explain Creation. Kind of odd, usually World of Darkness (now Chronicles of Darkness) started with the setting to understand a bit the characters not the other way around.

Gangrel Clan forever!!!

Comment

• That's how the books have been doing it. I'm guessing it gets you right into 'I can be this character' rather than frontending you with a setting.

Comment

• It makes the books easier to use as references after the first time you read them; splats are at the front, Conditions are at the back.

The 2e book template goes Intro - splats - setting - rules for the supernatural beings in question - core storytelling system - antagonists - sample settings - storytelling - minor template - conditions

With some variance for different lines. I have, in the past, asked if I can put the core system before the splat-specific rules and been told no.

Dave Brookshaw, freelance writer and Developer

Comment

Working...
                                X