No announcement yet.

Geist Kickstarter Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just about 23 hours to go. Not that I’m counting down or anything.

Comment

I've already got the page bookmarked and I keep looking at it like it's going to change before tomorrow at noon, so I think it's safe to say I'm counting down with you.

In-House Developer for Chronicles of Darkness and Exalted

Comment

Ugh Dixie. I want to see the page so badly.

Comment

You can see it in, let's say, 21 hours and 15 minutes.

Comment

Oh I will. I’m lucky enough to work for a company that lets me keep my cell phone on hand so about 9:00 am my time
            I’ll be taking break to go over the whole thing and pledge.

Any spoilers you can give us eagerly awaiting? A little scrap to satiate us?

Comment

Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post
              As I recall, it was originally intended as an experiment to see if they could create a game line that was fully contained in the core book and a single supplement. I remember having a really hard time tracking it down in stores, too, so it might have been at a time when the company was really struggling. That was a long time ago, though, so it might have also been bad luck on my part.
              Hmmm...could be it.

Originally I thought I heard it being something to do with the CCP merger at the time...but looking at Wikipedia, it says the merger was announced in 2006, while Geist 1e was released in 2009, so I'm not sure that's it.

Either that, or Geist's release during that time was during the transitional period where every TRPG that wasn't D&D and Pathfinder were starting to move out of physical retail due to the changing market.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

Hmmm...could be it.

Originally I thought I heard it being something to do with the CCP merger at the time...but looking at Wikipedia, it says the merger was announced in 2006, while Geist 1e was released in 2009, so I'm not sure that's it.

Either that, or Geist's release during that time was during the transitional period where every TRPG that wasn't D&D and Pathfinder were starting to move out of physical retail due to the changing market.
                I actually thought (and looked up) the exact same thing.

And of course, it could be both.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by MrOwl View Post
                  Any spoilers you can give us eagerly awaiting? A little scrap to satiate us?
                  I can't say much, but we're planning on manuscript previews, so by the end you should get to read the entire book if you back! We're planning on it running very similarly to the Changeling: The Lost Second Edition KS.

Also all the art you'l be seeing on the page is by Ken Meyer Jr. and Sam Araya (and it's lovely).

I can't speak to the initial 1e release, as I wasn't with the company at the time, unfortunately, but I've read 2e and very much enjoyed it. Travis Stout and the writers did an amazing job with this one, and the art I've seen is both gorgeous and creepy as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by DixieCyanide View Post

I can't say much, but we're planning on manuscript previews, so by the end you should get to read the entire book if you back! We're planning on it running very similarly to the Changeling: The Lost Second Edition KS.

Also all the art you'l be seeing on the page is by Ken Meyer Jr. and Sam Araya (and it's lovely).

I can't speak to the initial 1e release, as I wasn't with the company at the time, unfortunately, but I've read 2e and very much enjoyed it. Travis Stout and the writers did an amazing job with this one, and the art I've seen is both gorgeous and creepy as hell.
                    I 100% am backing the project. I’ve got 250$ set aside for this Kickstarter. So I’m thinking I’ll be getting about 5 books.

Can’t wait for the art. Is it full color like vampire and mage have been? Or more monochrome like demon/ beast?

There’s just so much awesomeness I know we are in store for.

Comment

Originally posted by MrOwl View Post
                      I 100% am backing the project. I’ve got 250$ set aside for this Kickstarter. So I’m thinking I’ll be getting about 5 books.

Can’t wait for the art. Is it full color like vampire and mage have been? Or more monochrome like demon/ beast?
                      If you add another $25 you can get something pretty cool. (Unless you really need the 5 books, then go for it.) Also the art is more similar to Demon/Beast in terms of color. Much creepier, in my opinion.

Comment

Aye, good things come to those who wait. Which by the law of averages should mean us Geist fans are about to get the best things.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

I always say (mostly to myself) that Sam Araya is the iconic artist of CoD as a whole, so any book with his art is already a good thing for me.

Seriously, I associate him to the Chronicles of Darkness as much as Ron Spencer is associated to Werewolf the Apocalypse, which says a lot

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

I almost had a heart attack when I just saw the title of this thread the other day; for a moment I thought that Onyx Path had given us a little present and started the Kickstarter campaign early. Regardless, I'm very excited.

On the topic of reminiscing about Geist's past, I vaguely recall a post (by I want to say Dave Brookshaw) claiming that the game's original pitch looked quite different from the end result. Something about playing as angels maybe? Does anyone remember this?

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                              I will be very happy when tomorrow arrives.
                              I also look forward to the kickstarter.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by espritdecalmar
                                On the topic of reminiscing about Geist's past, I vaguely recall a post (by I want to say Dave Brookshaw) claiming that the game's original pitch looked quite different from the end result. Something about playing as angels maybe? Does anyone remember this?
                                I had only just started out as a freelancer when Geist 1e was written, and didn't work on it. So this is a second-hand anecdote. But having seen subsequent new game pitches, from Demon, to Beast (which ended up very different to the idea Matt McFarland originally pitched), to Deviant (which to this day I don't know whose idea it was - Iwas handed the advert and told "turn that into a game")...

I digress. But point is these games are only very rarely recognisable as the early sparks of ideas they grow from.

Anyhoos. The story is that Geist 1e was a mashup of several not-quite-accepted game ideas. One of which, the one that lead to Synergy, the bargain, etc, was being possessed by an entity which had saved you from death. That was first pitched as an angel, but when the game took a turn for the ghostly they became Geists.

To hear Travis tell it, the game had a lot more anachrotech / racing ghostly muscle cars in it in an early form, too.

Dave Brookshaw, freelance writer and Developer

Comment

Working...
                                X