Geist Kickstarter Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
    Oh, as that goes, I won't personally settle for anything less than the absolute destiny apocalypse-nothing less than the absolute shattering of the Underworld.

Buuuuut baby steps.
    I share that sentiment. I wouldn’t stop until I restructured the entire Underworld, not just sections. But that sounds like you would need a Conspiracy sized Krewe to accomplish something so ambitious... and I’m not sure if it’s feasible to get a krewe to that size in 2nd Ed

Comment

• Originally posted by Korogra View Post

I share that sentiment. I wouldn’t stop until I restructured the entire Underworld, not just sections. But that sounds like you would need a Conspiracy sized Krewe to accomplish something so ambitious... and I’m not sure if it’s feasible to get a krewe to that size in 2nd Ed
      Gotta start somewhere.

And, if need be, franchise it.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Gotta start somewhere.

And, if need be, franchise it.
        “ Hello, I’m with the Church of Unitology, have you heard of the word of Michael Altman?”

Comment

• Originally posted by Korogra View Post

“ Hello, I’m with the Church of Unitology, have you heard of the word of Michael Altman?”
          "...The Reapers are that way." (slam)

Comment

• Originally posted by Leliel View Post

"...The Reapers are that way." (slam)
            I actually wanna a make a Krewe that follows the tenants of Unitology now, who try to save ghosts by returning them to fleshy bodies.

Comment

• Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
              I had someone Awakening as they bled out after a suicide attempt, and came back alive and in their own body - but with a ghost of themselves bound to them as a Familiar. It was pretty interesting as the Ghost didn't have the ability to grow and change like the Mage ended up doing, and was always a reminder of what they'd moved through to get there.
              With Doppelgangers being a thing, now, my favorite Mage character's concept is actually a thing that can happen in the default setting.
              This is amazing.

Comment

• I know it’s something I’ve brought up before, but the more I think on it the less I like the Memento creation process. It’s not that it takes around a week to do at least, nor that it is stuck with one of your innate keys - those limitations are logical and can have some interesting moments behind them. It’s the fact that a three experience merit is effectively being paid for by a five experience resource, Synergy.

I appreciate that Synergy has means to be gained for free, but the fact that you a) lose supernatural tolernace, b) can actively lose experiences on this, and c) can lose something that is a reward for fulfilling a narrative feels...unsatisfying. There is no advantage for creating your own memento beyond the choice of hardware for it and having a personalized touch. You can’t make ones that are stronger, nor gain keys you don’t already have, and you’re paying either two experiences more for the premium of a guarenteed chosen effect or you’re spending a meaningful moment where you resolve either your own or your Geist’s life. That’s an awfully high downside to being able to make your own memento when you can just find the things at death sites, which Sin Eaters will be frequenting anyways.

I also appreciate that Sanctity of Merits could apply, but it’s hard to keep track of how much Synergy you’ve paid for and how much you’ve earned through gameplay, and as someone on Discord noted quite quickly, Sanctity of Merits only applies to Merits.

Perhaps I’m just too used to Demon or even Changeling, given how their own supernatural gadgets are usually more potent while also being cheaper to produce...though granted, mementos effectively being bulletproof is something neither splat can replicate with any form of ease, so that’s one tradeoff?

Comment

• The Rage Condition could need some clarification. "Weapon rating" is an extremely infrequently used term with no definition. Many take the weapon part to mean it makes your unarmed attacks deal lethal. Only two uses of the term (that I have found) has specified which damage type, which is lethal in one case and aggravated in the other.
                  Others substite "weapon rating" with "damage rating" which is used to tell how much extra damage a successful attack does, but with no assumption about the damage type unless it's explicitly stated, which would mean bashing in this case.
                  Last edited by Tessie; 08-06-2018, 05:33 AM.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                  Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                  Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                    The Rage Condition could need some clarification. "Weapon rating" is an extremely infrequently used term with no definition. Many take the weapon part to mean it makes your unarmed attacks deal lethal. Only two uses of the term (that I have found) has specified which damage type, which is lethal in one case and aggravated in the other.
                    Others substite "weapon rating" with "damage rating" which is used to tell how much extra damage a successful attack does, but with no assumption about the damage type unless it's explicitly stated, which would mean bashing in this case.
                    Don't all weapons do Lethal in 2E, unless an exception is stated?

Comment

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                      Don't all weapons do Lethal in 2E, unless an exception is stated?
                      Yes, but unarmed attacks aren't weapons. Does "weapon rating" turn your unarmed attacks into weapons? Or does it (like "weapon modifier"/"damage rating") only describe the number of extra damage inflicted?

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
                        I know it’s something I’ve brought up before, but the more I think on it the less I like the Memento creation process. It’s not that it takes around a week to do at least, nor that it is stuck with one of your innate keys - those limitations are logical and can have some interesting moments behind them. It’s the fact that a three experience merit is effectively being paid for by a five experience resource, Synergy.
                        Well, that's why I wouldn't charge you an extra couple of XP for making a Memento. Also that Synergy has ways of being free to regain, something not that difficult to do with Remembrance. (Technically, that depends on the ST being willing to engage with the basic premise of the game, but..).

Also, keep in mind a Memento always has at least one feature that makes them all extremely valuable; their Keys. Sin-Eaters cannot naturally form new Keys without ectophagia, something which involves murder and a loss of Synergy in it's own right-not to mention much more dangerous, since it's likely the geist who has that Key violently objects to being eaten. That's the reason the Merit is rather expensive; it's a new way of gaining both Plasm and Haunt variants.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leliel View Post

Well, that's why I wouldn't charge you an extra couple of XP for making a Memento. Also that Synergy has ways of being free to regain, something not that difficult to do with Remembrance. (Technically, that depends on the ST being willing to engage with the basic premise of the game, but..).

Also, keep in mind a Memento always has at least one feature that makes them all extremely valuable; their Keys. Sin-Eaters cannot naturally form new Keys without ectophagia, something which involves murder and a loss of Synergy in it's own right-not to mention much more dangerous, since it's likely the geist who has that Key violently objects to being eaten. That's the reason the Merit is rather expensive; it's a new way of gaining both Plasm and Haunt variants.
                          That still doesn't cover the XP differential between "Merit Bought" Mementos and personally crafted ones.

Comment

• You can only increase Synergy a few times (four times, I believe) and after you've done that the game considers your character's story to be over.
                            Regardless, the system is unbalanced in some way. Either Memento creation is too expensive due to Synergy dots being worth too much, or if they're not worth that much the XP cost for Synergy becomes too expensive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                              You can only increase Synergy a few times (four times, I believe) and after you've done that the game considers your character's story to be over.
                              You literally get a Synergy Beat for every time you resolve one of the Conditions a crisis point gives you, one of which has resolution criteria that amount to "face another crisis point or raise your Synergy."

Resident Lore-Hound
                              Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                                You literally get a Synergy Beat for every time you resolve one of the Conditions a crisis point gives you, one of which has resolution criteria that amount to "face another crisis point or raise your Synergy."
                                Yes, but that is not the issue. The issue is people are comparing creating a Momento in play vs purchasing one with/as a merit and the later is objectively* a better option.

The issue has little to do with the ease of gaining Synergy, because a good Sin-Eater engaging in their own story should be trying to gain Synergy a lot. Compelling crisis points by conflicting the desires of the Bound and their geist should also be a frequently used way to lose said Synergy. That back and forth is the whole point until resolution is archived.

Now the creation rules might be intended to prevent mass production of Momentos for krewe mates; So every Key belonging to the group is not availible to every member.

*The merit soes not obey the limitation (which are noted as being flavourful) inheirent to the crafting process; you can aquire different keys with the merit (you can only create Momentos that share your inheirent keys). It cost less experience. It does not take as long to get ingame either.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Working...
                                X