Geist Kickstarter Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LostLight View Post
    Some thoughts about Tyranny based Bound lacking proper name- do you think that "Sacrosanct" would work better as their nickname (taking inspiration from 1e), or could it be used for a new Krewe Archetype? I assume that Wretched (the proper 1e term for Synergy 0 Bound) also works, but it sounds to me more like how Sin Eaters would call such Bound, and not how those Bound would call themselves.
    What about, internally, Deathlords? They have (in their own minds) mastered (one of) the forces of Death, after all. And it sounds pompous enough for one who would crush another being's trust and remnants of humanity for their own desires.

And it's not like the term is in use anymore from 1E.
    Last edited by Vent0; 08-07-2018, 08:40 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• A bit of a bittersweet update today.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2258516

On the one hand, it is sad to see Travis step down.

On the other hand, Vera is awesome. Geist is in good hands.

Patreon | He/His Pronouns | Currently writing: Tome of the Pentacle (OPP), The Hedge (OPP)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

• Well, I am officially sad. Travis did a great work in reshaping Geist into the awesome game it is. I am not saying his replacement won't do a good job either, but Travis made Geist more awesome than I could even imagine. Best wishes, Travis! May no mask trouble you in your path!

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• We're sorry to see you go, Travis. Thank you for the wonderful book you've made for us!

Welcome aboard, Vera. We look forward to the projects you will create!
          Last edited by ThomasM; 08-08-2018, 02:40 PM. Reason: Fixed punctuation

Comment

• For those with the preview document, I have a question about mementos. In the first edition, the different dot levels of the Memento Merit - charms/memorabilia, vanitas, fetters, and deathmasks - represented different types of object rather than just a power level. Is that still the case in the second?

Comment

• Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
              For those with the preview document, I have a question about mementos. In the first edition, the different dot levels of the Memento Merit - charms/memorabilia, vanitas, fetters, and deathmasks - represented different types of object rather than just a power level. Is that still the case in the second?
              All mementos are 3 dot merit, having a power and a Key. Greater mementos are some sort of urban legends, existing probably as higher rating (or N/A rating, probably) mementos. Deathmasks act as regular mementos, only that they work by wearing them, and that ghosts can use them to become Reapers, and they are not considered to be a part of the "collection" for memento collectors. Objects become mementos in all kinds of ways, as long as it includes the presence of residual death (or a Bound creating one by investing Synergy), but it doesn't effect the mechanical works of the item- they are still a 3 dot merits, with a power and a Key.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• As a quick note before expanding on this: The manuscript says that Deathmasks may be used (for purposes of a Sin-Eater using the key) by either wearing or holding the Deathmask. (Though it's it's not unlikely that the individual effect of the Deathmask requires wearing it).

You've already been answered on this but I did want to expand a bit as I love the change. While there are different types of momentos, they're not referenced by dot number and for the most part they all have the following:
                - A Key (Keys are WAAY more important now)
                - A massively increased durability (so much to almost make them bulletproof depending on the object)
                - An effect (usually minor) that's (more or less) unique to that Memento (like being able to call the underworld when submerged, seeing in the dark only while standing still, or other smaller things).

As for the different types of Mementos from 1st edition, they still exist (as was previously stated) and all have the above effects but may have shifted a bit from 1st Edition:
                - Charms: This word is't really used any more as all Mementos have a little effect to them regardless of origin.
                - Vanitas: These mementos only differ from other Mementos in that you created them. (they inherit your key and you (essentially) get to pick the item and effect). You have to sacrifice a dot of Synergy to do it but that is really it.
                - Fetters: While the word fetter still exists, it does not reference a Memento at all. Fettered ghosts are when a ghost decides to, essentially, possess an object. The spirit of the 1st Ed Fetter is something that is not uncommon for one of the main antagonists to do: The Eaters of the Dead. Basically, the spirit of the 1st Ed Fetter is pretty abhorrent to 2nd Ed Sin-Eaters.
                - Deathmasks: These are Mementos, but from a different origin (dead Geists). They work like any other Memento for the Bound but Ghosts using them turns them into the Reaper of that specific Deathmask. Also, using or even having them is pretty taboo in Sin-eater culture at large (note: sin-eater, not necessarily all Bound)
                - Memorabilia: Mementos created from a famous person or death do not inherently make them any different from any other memento. So there isn't a separate memento type for ones connected to famous people.

And as a side note, the book says there could be other grander Mementos but you like, never see them. And if they're found, they're the kinds of things that Krewes go to war over. Things like the bones of Kerberoi with 4 keys. Or a physical object that has never been anywhere but the underworld till now that can allow the user to shift between twilight and physical at will. (I made up the examples as the book doesn't, but these are the kinds of things I imagine these chronicle based Mementos to be like).
                Last edited by xiongrey; 08-10-2018, 07:26 AM.

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

• Thanks LostLight and xiongrey

Comment

• Memento Mori, the GtS companion book, has now hit First Drafts!

Comment

• Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
                      Memento Mori, the GtS companion book, has now hit First Drafts!

Is there somewhere we can see a quick recap of what it will include?

Comment

• Originally posted by xiongrey View Post
                        - Fetters: While the word fetter still exists, it does not reference a Memento at all. Fettered ghosts are when a ghost decides to, essentially, possess an object. The spirit of the 1st Ed Fetter is something that is not uncommon for one of the main antagonists to do: The Eaters of the Dead. Basically, the spirit of the 1st Ed Fetter is pretty abhorrent to 2nd Ed Sin-Eaters.
                        Just a small correction: The equivalent of the Fetters of 1e would be the Mementos created by the Ghost Binding Ceremony, which imprisons a ghost in an Ancora.

Comment

• Originally posted by Daigotsu Max View Post

Is there somewhere we can see a quick recap of what it will include?
                          Looking at the Stretch Goal at Kickstarter has sections on: Mementos, Krewe Regalia & Cerimonies, Dominions, Haunts, Haunted Locations & Story Hooks. He also unlocked Chapter Fiction and Sample Krewes.

Comment

• Originally posted by RaphaTheAscended View Post
                            Looking at the Stretch Goal at Kickstarter has sections on: Mementos, Krewe Regalia & Cerimonies, Dominions, Haunts, Haunted Locations & Story Hooks. He also unlocked Chapter Fiction and Sample Krewes.

Sounds awesome! I'm reading the preview pdf in more detail and I must say I love what the game has become.

Comment

• Anyone else notice that Sin-Eaters can only get a full Willpower refresh once per story (per Anchor) instead of per session? O_o

Comment

• Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
                                Anyone else notice that Sin-Eaters can only get a full Willpower refresh once per story (per Anchor) instead of per session? O_o
                                Per-session is only a thing at all for Vampire and Changeling, and the nature of full refreshes is such that they usually aren't things it's advisable or possible to do very frequently in the first place. I'm similarly not too worried about it being the only gameline so far to put a frequency limit on single-point refreshes for non-mortal Anchors.

Resident Lore-Hound
                                Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Working...
                                X