Geist Kickstarter Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missed this on the first read-through. Emphasis mine:
    The Quiet Places: Setting information and story hooks for playing your Geist chronicle in specific times and places in history., from 16th-century Brazil to modern-day Edinburgh, Scotland to Mobile, Alabama in 1910, as well as information on Dominions.
    Always good to see more South America. Especially in a historical period.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD- Dark Eras 2; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
      Speaking of which, some questions that I hope don’t compromise the rights of those who paid; can Bound/ghosts/Geists come from intense jealousy? Common in Asian ghost stories.
      Looking over the write-ups of the five Burdens, it seems like jealousy could fit under the Abiding (came back in order to create a legacy) or the Vengeful (what it says on the tin).

Comment

The kickstarter goal is reached! Now wat's the next step?

Comment

Originally posted by Ipergigio View Post
          The kickstarter goal is reached! Now wat's the next step?
          the two current stretch goals are shown upthread by Second chances, but there are goals at 65,000 and 75,000 to add "mementos", and "krewe regalia and ceremonies" to the companion respectivly.

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post

Rich talks about it more in today's MMN: http://theonyxpath.com/2nd-chance-fo...meeting-notes/
            Interesting. Can anyone summarise the diggerences between 1.0 and 1.1?
            Also, what led to the attitude shift at Onyx Path from "lets update and rerelease one of our worst selling products" to "lets not waste money and time on erratas or FAQs on our bestselling products"?

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

What was Geist 1.1 if not a massive, funded errata?

EDIT: okay, so that was a bit flip.

Short version - doing the errata collection pass you will surely have seen happen on these forums before a pod version goes live is an enshrined responsibility of a dev, included in our fees. Back in the WW days, it wasn't - you printed the book before any fan ever saw it and could not do anything about it. I was rereading Seers of the Throne the other day and found a cringeworthy number of typos in it, including parts I wrote. It is roughly contemporary with Geist 1e.

OPP does not have the resources to put contractor-devs like Danielle, myself, and Travis on retainer forever in order to pay us for FAQs, blogs, and continuing support. Some of us have day jobs that are okay with one-off book contracts but would actively prevent us from taking such a retainer anyway. WW didn't either - the handful of FAQs released either at OPP or WW have always been voluntary by the people involved.

TLDR - OPP do spend money on errata where WW didn't. There's perfectly good reasons why a Dev hired for two years to make a game cannot commit to FAQing that game beyond that.
              Last edited by Dave Brookshaw; 07-03-2018, 08:16 AM.

Dave Brookshaw, freelance writer and Developer

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                First Changeling and now Geist. All when I can’t pay up for Reasons. Sigt. I’m seething with jealousy here.

Speaking of which, some questions that I hope don’t compromise the rights of those who paid; can Bound/ghosts/Geists come from intense jealousy? Common in Asian ghost stories. And speaking of ghosts, what are the Absent absent of? What makes them different from regular ghosts?
                Smells like one of the Hungry to me (Bound who made the Bargain because they still had something they wanted), and from the looks of it anything that can tie you to reality can make you a ghost, so...

We don't know the Absent yet, but from the Glossary they seem to be memory merchants who use their wares to escape from the Underworld. Wouldn't be surprised if they're called that because "the world knows we're gone from it."

Comment

Plus the living remembering the Dead is one way ghosts get Essence. Buying and selling memories might be how Essence can be traded.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

The relationship between Burden and Krewe Archetype is interesting, and I think that's supposed to be reflected in the two (or two of the three technically) described endgame scenarios. I do wonder whether a Bound can still have an Archetype without being a member of a Krewe. Perhaps that will be discussed in a later portion of the manuscript.

(I'm also surprised that, what with the comparison to AA groups, the Heresy section for Necropolitans doesn't include the fact that the first step can be quite the doozy.)

Comment

• Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                      First Changeling and now Geist. All when I can’t pay up for Reasons. Sigt. I’m seething with jealousy here.

Speaking of which, some questions that I hope don’t compromise the rights of those who paid; can Bound/ghosts/Geists come from intense jealousy? Common in Asian ghost stories. And speaking of ghosts, what are the Absent absent of? What makes them different from regular ghosts?
                      The Absent are what they call playable ghosts.

Comment

• First stretch goal reached!

Comment

• The Third Stretch Goal is on Dominions and I am VERY interested in this! Moar stuff on the Underworld!

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post

The Absent are what they call playable ghosts.
                            And the Awakened are what they call playable mages, but the reason they’re called “Awakened” in the first place is because they “awakened” to the world’s secret truths. I was hoping for what the word Absent means; so far it seems like they have something to do with memories.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

• Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                              I was hoping for what the word Absent means; so far it seems like they have something to do with memories.
                              Though the Appendix with them obviously goes into the best detail and I can't spoil too much until the end of the Kickstarter, I will say that yes, the Absent have a lot to do with Memories, and they are used for various mechanical reasons.

In-House Developer for Chronicles of Darkness and Exalted

Comment

• Originally posted by DixieCyanide View Post

Though the Appendix with them obviously goes into the best detail and I can't spoil too much until the end of the Kickstarter, I will say that yes, the Absent have a lot to do with Memories, and they are used for various mechanical reasons.
                                Very interesting, I'm really looking forward to reading about them.

Comment

Working...
                                X