X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Chances
    started a topic Geist Kickstarter Discussion Thread

Geist Kickstarter Discussion Thread

It is time for a second chance! The Geist: the Sin-Eater Kickstarter is coming on Monday July 2 at noon EDT. Talk about it here.

Beware the ghosts bearing masks.

Link
    Last edited by Second Chances; 07-02-2018, 12:04 PM.

• tasti man LH
    replied
    So seems like the corebook is now going through its second proof.

Additionally, Memento Mori has moved into Development.

Leave a comment:

• tasti man LH
    replied
    Originally posted by Minty View Post
    I was just looking through the backer manuscript again and I realized that there was no section on how other splats saw the Bound or how they see the other splats. Was this cut for word count reasons, or is this something to expect in more games moving forward? Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I haven't read through this entire thread.
    Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post

I don't think that's been in any of the 2e books, so far.
    Nah they're in some of them...just not all of them

Werewolf, Demon, and Beast have them. But Vampire, Mage, Promethean, and Changeling do not have Stereotypes on the other gameline splats.

Leave a comment:

• proindrakenzol
    replied
    Originally posted by Minty View Post
    I was just looking through the backer manuscript again and I realized that there was no section on how other splats saw the Bound or how they see the other splats. Was this cut for word count reasons, or is this something to expect in more games moving forward? Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I haven't read through this entire thread.
    I don't think that's been in any of the 2e books, so far.

Leave a comment:

• Minty
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tasti man LH
    replied
    *peers closer at MMN*

Oh hey, the corebook's out of Art Direction and now in Layout.

Leave a comment:

• tasti man LH
    replied
    Well, nothing for us to do aside from wait for the art-ed PDF.

Leave a comment:

• milo v3
    replied
    iirc, the devs have said that it'll change from spending plasm to ignore the doom to something like spending willpower.

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
    is It ok if I ask what this loophole exactly is? sounds like it was a very huge balance problem
    This is going to take a bit of diagramming to explain despite its simplicity, so bear with me:

Like most of the other gamelines, Geist offers a lot of ways to get its fuel source, with different methods having different costs and drawbacks, but the loophole in question is a bit of a slant on the intent behind Keys.

Basically, if you have a Key innately or through a Memento, you can use it to get free Plasm in one of two ways: tapping it to Unlock a Haunt (making it more effective in the process), or directly drawing upon the Key for Plasm without using a power. At its most basic level, both of these require you to accept the Doomed Condition for that Key, preventing you from using it again until you resolve the Doom by suffering its effects or helping a ghost whose death resonates with it to pass on. In both cases, using a Key gives you Plasm equal to your dots in the linked Attribute, but Unlocking a Haunt requires you to use the Haunt and therefore spend at least one point of Plasm.

Rolling an exceptional success on a Haunt you unlocked with the Key (which is easier when you use it on a resonant target or circumstance) means you don't suffer the Doom and get back half the Plasm you spent on the Haunt if its requisite Condition ends without being resolved by contact with your Ban or Bane, which is there to encourage you to use the free Plasm you get from Unlocking a Haunt with a Key whose Attribute is one you have a high rating in both liberally and in resonant circumstances.

Simply tapping a Key for Plasm, meanwhile, gives you the full payout with no surcharge, which is why the Doom is non-negotiable.

Where this gets fucky is that you can get the same Doom-averting benefit on Unlocking a Haunt without rolling an exceptional success by spending an extra point of Plasm, and as-written the draft does not specify that you have to spend the free Plasm you get from Unlocking on that Haunt or on any sort of timescale; the only limits of Free Plasm are that if you have more than your Synergy-based capacity at the end of the scene any excess is lost, so you can top yourself off with impunity by spending as little as needed to use a Haunt and avoid the Key's Doom.

What this means, in other words, is that it's safer and more consistent to get a Key whose Attribute is one in which you have at least three dots, use it to Unlock a Haunt at the minimum level of effectiveness and buy off the Doom for two points of Plasm, and repeat from scene to scene than it is to actually engage with that Key's resonant elements or tap the Key without using a power, despite this effectively translating to rewarding completely inconsequential use of deathly powers and artifacts more effectively than slinging buckets of ghost snot around or inviting misfortune upon yourself to steep yourself in the energies of death.

Needless to say, it's probably against design intent for asserting telekinetic control over a small rock or briefly merging with your geist to offer better returns on Keys than taking on a temporary curse or funneling Plasm through your system in service of thematically relevant uses of Haunts.

Leave a comment:

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    is It ok if I ask what this loophole exactly is? sounds like it was a very huge balance problem

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
    I hope the 'unlimited power loophole' gets patched in editing. I don't think it needs more than a sidebar paragraph saying don't do this but that would go a long way with disrespectful players trying to pull a rules lawyer act.
    I'm inclined to suspect a more thorough shift, either in terms of a time or use limit on the Free Plasm gained from Unlocking a Haunt or in terms of cutting out the buy-off option altogether, because as it stands the ability to completely circumvent the risks of two similar long-term gains processes for the price of a single point of Plasm kind of chops the legs out from under angling for resonant Haunt use or tapping a Key directly.

Leave a comment:

• FallenEco
    replied
    I hope the 'unlimited power loophole' gets patched in editing. I don't think it needs more than a sidebar paragraph saying don't do this but that would go a long way with disrespectful players trying to pull a rules lawyer act.

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    I can't promise Haunt spoilers, but since I anticipate I'll need to change a fair number of Ceremony names, we might make a tease for them out of the rejects.

Leave a comment:

• Runcible
    replied
    Every day Memento Mori gets further in production the more I lurk to look for hints and teasers of what those new Haunts in the book will be.

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
    ...anyways.

According to tonight's MMN, Memento Mori has moved to Redlines.
    Yep.

*whistles*

Leave a comment:

Working...
X