Sell me on Geist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sell me on Geist

Never played this one before and know very little about it. How is it different vs. the same as Wraith?

Originally posted by karpomatic View Post
    Never played this one before and know very little about it. How is it different vs. the same as Wraith?
    Well, for a start you play as a living person with a ghost-god-thing attached to you rather than a ghost yourself. In general, the mood of the game is quite different, focusing more on 'life in spite of death' than 'death'. In general, Geist has a more 'Day of the Dead' feel to it, a wake rather than a funeral. It's about celebration of the joys of life in the face of oncoming death and about easing the suffering of the shades that linger - or preventing them from harming the living.

The Bound are intermediaries, exorcists, mediums, prophets and speakers for the dead - though that's not to say that some aren't more unscrupulous. In order to become one of the Bound, you die and then a Geist, a ghost that (presuming this isn't changing too much from 1e to 2e) has given up some of its Anchors and personhood in exchange for fettering itself to some aspect of death itself, offers you a Bargain: I'll help you back if you take me with you. As one of the Bound, that's exactly what you are: bound to a ghost-god and bound to life. You live - you're not undead - but with one foot in the grave.

Comment

It mght be the reason why you're asking, but in case not I'll mention that there's a Kickstarter campaign for Geist second edition right now. It has information relating to the second edition of Geist, as well as a first edition PDF bundle as a pledge reward.

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

The little introductory video at the top of the Kickstarter page does a pretty good job selling it. If I had never heard of Geist before, it would have done the trick for me. Of course, I was sold before it went live, so I may be biased.

Jason Ross Inczauskis
        Freelance Writer
        Currently writing: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, TC In Media Res
        Previous projects: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action (Alban, Beelzebub, Oxblood Mold, Whispering Oak); C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
          It mght be the reason why you're asking, but in case not I'll mention that there's a Kickstarter campaign for Geist second edition right now. It has information relating to the second edition of Geist, as well as a first edition PDF bundle as a pledge reward.

The KS is why I was asking. Geist is, I think, one of only 2 WOD games that I've never played. I'm not sure that I'd ever play it but I'll probably back it for the PDF.

Comment

The KS is why I was asking. Geist is, I think, one of only 2 WOD games that I've never played. I'm not sure that I'd ever play it but I'll probably back it for the PDF.

You can also pledge to the KS, read the manuscript preview as it's being released, and then decide before the end of the campaign if you want the book.

Comment

I find that the inspiration material is often a good way to describe a game to people. So to that end, if you think of the game as a combination of:

* The Frighteners
              * The Crow
              * Coco
              * Mama
              * etc.

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

Out of curiosity, which games do you tend to play? Are Mage or Beast among them?

Originally posted by ElvesofZion View Post
                I find that the inspiration material is often a good way to describe a game to people. So to that end, if you think of the game as a combination of:

* The Frighteners
                * The Crow
                * Coco
                * Mama
                * etc.
                See also:
                - The Book of Life
                - Paranatural
                - Pirates of the Caribbean
                - Death Note
                - Soul Eater

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

In short: Geist is a game about people who died. When they died, they made a bargain with a uber-ghost/minor death god thing to return to the body as long as they get to come back too. Now due to being basically part ghost with an uberghost connected to them they can see other ghosts which often want things.

~
                  Playing GtS is mostly about playing characters that, to one extent or another, act against the Underworld. The Underworld might as well be a character all on it's own for how much malice and parasitism seems to come from it, eating ghosts piece by piece and further consuming. It's a lot like a leech on the mortal realm, sucking deathly things but in turn also seems to create it's own sustenance from the act. Main Characters (Sin-Eaters) essentially try their best at opposing this parasitic system from helping ghosts, to rescuing them from the underworld, to fighting off underworld cultists, and other such things.

~
                  It's differences from Wraith are so many that it's hard to stop drawing more and more differences as their premises are so different. What is the same is they both deal with Death. Both are ghosts-ish (Sin-Eaters became ghosts when they died but got to go back to their original bodies so they don't really operate like non Bound Ghosts and more like physical people). Both characters have reasons they didn't "Move On".

~
                  Why you would play it:
                  The answers would differ per person but personally, the whole premise of the Underworld and it's parasitic nature is what draws me in. Everything from how Ghosts work to the different kinds of chthonic creatures stems from this Underworld based system. Playing a creature who has to satify personal reason for being back in the world (like fund your kids schooling or get revenge on the one that killed you) as well as trying your hardest to make "The System" suck a lot less than before. What would you do if you learned that there is an afterlife and it's a system that's rigged to pull you into the belly of some parasite/predator. That all meaning in your death is nearly moot cause in the end you get slowly digested.

As a Sin-Eater, you have the means to fight the system. And that intrigues me.

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

Originally posted by xiongrey View Post
                    In short: Geist is a game about people who died. When they died, they made a bargain with a uber-ghost/minor death god thing to return to the body as long as they get to come back too. Now due to being basically part ghost with an uberghost connected to them they can see other ghosts which often want things.

~
                    Playing GtS is mostly about playing characters that, to one extent or another, act against the Underworld. The Underworld might as well be a character all on it's own for how much malice and parasitism seems to come from it, eating ghosts piece by piece and further consuming. It's a lot like a leech on the mortal realm, sucking deathly things but in turn also seems to create it's own sustenance from the act. Main Characters (Sin-Eaters) essentially try their best at opposing this parasitic system from helping ghosts, to rescuing them from the underworld, to fighting off underworld cultists, and other such things.

~
                    It's differences from Wraith are so many that it's hard to stop drawing more and more differences as their premises are so different. What is the same is they both deal with Death. Both are ghosts-ish (Sin-Eaters became ghosts when they died but got to go back to their original bodies so they don't really operate like non Bound Ghosts and more like physical people). Both characters have reasons they didn't "Move On".

~
                    Why you would play it:
                    The answers would differ per person but personally, the whole premise of the Underworld and it's parasitic nature is what draws me in. Everything from how Ghosts work to the different kinds of chthonic creatures stems from this Underworld based system. Playing a creature who has to satify personal reason for being back in the world (like fund your kids schooling or get revenge on the one that killed you) as well as trying your hardest to make "The System" suck a lot less than before. What would you do if you learned that there is an afterlife and it's a system that's rigged to pull you into the belly of some parasite/predator. That all meaning in your death is nearly moot cause in the end you get slowly digested.

As a Sin-Eater, you have the means to fight the system. And that intrigues me.
                    So, just to dumb it down a WHOLE LOT, It's the Crow with an explanation as to why he has his powers and other things he would deal with in an "extended universe."

Comment

So, just to dumb it down a WHOLE LOT, It's the Crow with an explanation as to why he has his powers and other things he would deal with in an "extended universe."

It's the Crow the same way Mage is Hellbalzer or Promethean is Frankenstien. That's a solid starting point, but they have incoprporated other material that has similar ideas into it to make it richer and fuller.

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
                        a Geist, a ghost that (presuming this isn't changing too much from 1e to 2e) has given up some of its Anchors and personhood in exchange for fettering itself to some aspect of death itself, offers you a Bargain:
                        A little bit, instead of Geists being the result of death-spirit and ghost hybrids. Now they are ghosts who were changed by drinking from the Rivers of Death so they could escape the Underworld or something along those lines anyhow.

Comment

Okay, I'm in for a physical copy. You all won me over.

Comment

Okay, I'm in for a physical copy. You all won me over.
                            Yes! Join us! We're not a mystery cult, really!

(Bob, go wash off the pentagrams.)

Comment

Working...
                            X