Inspirational Material

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspirational Material

First of all: I absolutely adore what is being done with 2ed, backed it the Minute I heard the KS was live.
    As I will be ST for the Geist venue on our forum game, I thought you cannot start soon enough to gather ideas.
    I wanted to know what material other than the one mentioned in the preview come to mind?
    I thought about the early Episodes of Bleach and Supernatural (Road Kill was the name of one particular episode, I believe), maybe some Ghostbusters, and Curiously the first half or so of Shaman King. I was given to understand ghost hunt would also fit the theme somewhat, though closer to Blue book mortals. Dresden Files might work when dealing with the Kenmlerites.
    I Personally feel like the Count of Monte Christo could work very well as a template for a vengeful Bound.
    What I am deeply missing, however, is stories about a malevolant plane like the Underworld. I know they exist, I have some that I half-remember, but nothing I can place right now.

If you have any good ghost stories, blueprints for Geists, ghosts or sineaters (Danny Phantom? ^___^) or evil plane stuff, please share.

Persona 3.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

All-New Ghost Rider and the other stories that feature Robbie Reyes as Ghost Rider apply, there is a bit of a Sin-Eater/Geist dynamic with him.

Comment

Beyond: Two Souls

Dave Brookshaw, freelance writer and Developer

Comment

One very worth mentioning that often gets overlooked:

The 2015 anime Death Parade is about a judge in the afterlife, a "bartender" who runs parlor games for the recently deceased. By playing a game of billiards, darts, table hockey, arcade fighting, or even Twister, one person gets to be reincarnated while the other is sent to the void for annihilation. The ultimate theme (without spoiling too much) is about having compassion for the dead, which suits Geist 2e's themes rather well.

The theme song is also a big party, which is appropriate. Nobody in this opening is a living human being.

Comment

Haunt. Jaded priest who believes in nothing but loves his brother. His brother, a patriotic covert operative who dies. His ghost manages to stick around and help out his brother, and occasionally they merge forms.

Comment

Ghost Whisperer could get very saccharine sometimes - though at other times, the lead character could really go through the wringer - but it was someone who could see and lay ghosts, and they knew it and wouldn't leave her alone. Also, the basement of her shop had a hole in the foundations that led to a buried and often ghost-filled former iteration of the town.

Of all things, Pretty Little Liars does a good line in secrets (rather than ghosts - but there are enough long lost people who could be recast as ghosts) intruding on the present.

On a darker note, Millennium is about a profiler who can see psychic echoes of crimes and other evils, which could also be recast as ghosts (and sometimes figuratively are within the show itself). Plus there are darker forces that could be reapers, chthonians, and other deathly monsters.

Comment

The movies "Stir of Echoes" and "The Others" could provide very good inspiration for Absent characters who are still coming to grip with "reality". They are very different films but each is suspenseful in its own way.

Comment

I hear from the Kickstarter Discussion that Cthonians are often fish-like. I wonder how much inspiration I can wring for them from the Korean webtoon Tower of God. (Last time I was still reading it, they had floating giant fish-things frequently in the eponymous tower)

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

I think I will add Soul Reaver to my inspirational material: the whole feel of the Astral realm, the inhabitants dvouring souls, the idea of a consuming entity etc are not spot on, but feel close enough.

Comment

Just re-watched the Twilight Zone episode "Death's Head Revisited," and it basically plays out like a Geist story might, including examples of higher-level Memoria and Boneyard effects.

Comment

The Underworld has reminded me of the Dark Souls series since I first read the preview of it on the Onyx Path blog. Both of their settings revolve around a fundamental entropy and tend toward desperation and corruption. They're both also filled with secrets whose uncovering require you to go out of your way and understand the world's specific rules and inclinations.

Comment

This Crypt TV short feels like a reasonable plot hook.

Comment

Comment

Shadow of Mordor is the best game and inspiration for Geist 2e, even though it's a fantasy. You have a Wraith (Geist) that possesses you and raises you from the dead every time and let you use his wide variety of powers that you unlock with choices in skill trees. I sometimes wonder if Shadow of Mordor was ripped off from Geist 1e.

Comment

Working...
                              X