[2E Hack] Archetypes as Y-Splats, not Krewe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Satchel @21C Hermit
    I wish i could like that more than the once. Spot on!

Comment

After reading Krewes rules in KS Preview 3 - I do not see any need for real changing anything, really. It looks like that using Archetypes as Y-Splats will be just re-fluffing that Archetype is thing each Bound choose for himself and then they work into Krewes. ( Well, maybe a Char Sheet will need a normal line for Y-Splat option. )

This leads to the Krewes that will have some tendencies for one major Archetype over rest, but still multiArchetypes Krewes will be norm. So one Krewe will have strong Necropolitans tendencies - as most members are those in them - and in another the Bonepickers are most powerfull inter-Krewe faction.

Krewes ideas, like for example Packs in Werewolf 2E, still are more divers and open than those 5 Archetypes in Geist 2E.
      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 07-20-2018, 04:53 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ through Ages
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
        After reading Krewes rules in KS Preview 3 - I do not see any need for real changing anything, really. It looks like that using Archetypes as Y-Splats will be just re-fluffing that Archetype is thing each Bound choose for himself and then they work into Krewes. ( Well, maybe a Char Sheet will need a normal line for Y-Splat option. )
        What would that even do when Archetypes have no mechanics tied to the Bound? Doesn't that just mean Krewes lose their free ceremonies as the only effect of the hack?

Genius templates: Super Science Mini-Template for Demon: the Descent

Oracle the Endbringers: Time-Manipulator Fan-Splat

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
          What would that even do when Archetypes have no mechanics tied to the Bound?
          Variety in players groups. It's easier for new players to make character 'here are 5 typical Archetypes ( ) of characters - pick one and customize it to our groups main idea'.

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
          Doesn't that just mean Krewes lose their free ceremonies as the only effect of the hack?
          Why would Krewe lose their free Ceremonies? Each Bound still has Archetype - they just get more variety of those. Free Ceremonies list will just be expanded, with more options too chose for players.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
          LGBT+ through Ages
          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Variety in players groups. It's easier for new players to make character 'here are 5 typical Archetypes ( ) of characters - pick one and customize it to our groups main idea'.
            You could just as much claim archetypes as colours or different types of fruit to associate their characters with when it comes to mechanics. I don't really see what variety you're adding over the default system.

Why would Krewe lose their free Ceremonies? Each Bound still has Archetype - they just get more variety of those. Free Ceremonies list will just be expanded, with more options too chose for players.
            If the krewe doesn't have an archetype... then it doesn't have an archetype to get free archetype ceremonies from.
            Last edited by milo v3; 07-20-2018, 05:45 AM.

Genius templates: Super Science Mini-Template for Demon: the Descent

Oracle the Endbringers: Time-Manipulator Fan-Splat

Comment

Getting into Krewe rules from Preview 3...

Krewe Ceremonies
              By Archetype: Krewes begin with a one-, two-, and three-dot Ceremony determined by their archetype, and with the Bestow Regalia Ceremony.
              Further Ceremonies: Krewe Experiences may be spent to buy additional krewe Ceremonies.
              Initiation: Any krewe member whose Mystery Cult Initiation rating equals or exceeds a krewe Ceremony’s may perform that Ceremony.
              Hack implications - Logical is that IF Krewe is composed of members from Archetypes A, B and C - they can choose Ceremonies from lists from Archetypes A, B and C. They just choose ONE Ceremony for each dot level for whole Krewe. Done!
              Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-26-2019, 09:10 AM.

LGBT+ through Ages
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Aaaand I am out. I love what was done with the Archetypes. I see no appeal nor reason To this hack, to be honest, but you know your players, so you do you. If it works for your table, I wont be one to judge. Best of luck.

Comment

Hack implications - Logical is that IF Krewe is composed of members from Archetypes A, B and C - they can choose Ceremonies from lists from Archetypes A, B and C.They just choose ONE Ceremony for each dot level for whole Krewe. Done!
                  And if the Krewe contains less or more than three Bound? Apart from the individual Archetypes affecting Krewe Ceremonies, does the individual gain anything that couldn't just've been stated as "my character sympathises with the X Archetype despite their Krewe starting with the Y Archetype"?

Bloodline: The Stygians
                  Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                  Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                    "my character sympathises with the X Archetype despite their Krewe starting with the Y Archetype"?
                    Krewe really needs defined Archetype in the first place? From what I see in Geist 2E preview rules, on day-to-day level, Krewes works just likes Packs in Werewolf - you and your friends find specific Krewes general idea that is STILL much more specific than one Tribe/Archetype in game. Gangs, cults, helping groups, etc. Krewes can have bold statement about Underworld - but so do Packs in Werewolf, for example. And on day-to-day running, you simply do not see often single Tribe Packs in play.

LGBT+ through Ages
                    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

One thing to consider in the comparison to Packs is that, while you are not wrong with them being related, Krewe Archetypes resolve a problem that happens in Werewolf, namely "What is the pack working for?" The dedication to the hunt clarifies a lot of their "What do" questions, but in getting into the political intrigue of territories and action outside of the hunt, it's still rather too easy for players to not actually have an ambition to fulfill, mostly because they lack direction. Krewe Archetypes for the player group gives an answer to that while keeping it flexible enough for players to decide how it specifically incarnates.

If you want to posit another line of splats which designate more variety then just what the Burdens offer, you are welcome to think it up and create incentives for it, but you are ignoring a great deal of what the current model already offers simply because you seem to have an issue with everyone being on the same page.

Also, on the variety front, have you considered the fact that Sin-Eaters now require you to make two characters in one, effectively? Each character is already pretty well loaded on variety well before you get to the Krewe, to the point that you really honestly do need the Krewe Archetype to keep it together.

Geist is a pretty busy game, creation wise, and I'm just kind of bothered that you want to make it busier because, what, it's different from how other games do it?

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                      Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                        ...Geist is a pretty busy game, creation wise...
                        I agree with Arc for the most part.

Currently you are:

Creating And Playing (for the most part)
                        - 1 full Sin-eater (with different anchors, burdens, and merits to set them apart from others)
                        - 1 full Geist (although I think some of the background details the ST comes up with similar to a Demon's Keys/final truth) (with separate keys and rememberences to set them apart from other geists)
                        - (alternatively to the above: 1 Full Ghost PC)

Creating (but not neccessarily playing)
                        - 1 important dead npc (with simplified anchors and merits)
                        - 2+ important alive npcs (with simplified anchors and merits)

^already that's a lot to make that also makes your char pretty different.

Then together with other players you create:
                        - A full crew archetype (complete with traits, doctrines, ceremonies/merits, Regalia)

The fact that the 3 doctrines, which are pretty closely tied to the archetype, are what shape what a Krewe does collectively help the archetype itself. (Keep in mind that the archetype and doctrines are shaped collectively by all players at Char Creation so it should be extremely personalized to your players).

As a side note: the rules have a pretty cool thing for a Krewe that has members (important or not members) which start to act in ways that are not tied to the Doctrines: Heresy. Which can start to replace the doctrines with Heresy doctrines further customizing the Krewe to your group.

~~~~~~~

That Said: I'm a pretty big believer in hacking and customizing to fit the players and the desires of the story.

So I don't really see a need to make Archetype a player-to-player thing. Instead, what if you did away with Archetypes and had each player come-up with a Krewe Doctrine that represents their view of the Krewe itself and where it's going. (to a minimum of 3 doctrines and a maximum equal to the amount of players). You could add extra benefits from Krewe actions that align with one doctrine or another.

It's not exactly analogous to a y-splat but it does give players something within the Krewe to separate themselves with the others if need be. That way doctrines are one half socia-political splat and one half Root/Vine equivalent.

~~~~~~~

Personally I like how it is in the book already but the above would be my way to hack it to achieve what you might want.

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

Krewe really needs defined Archetype in the first place? From what I see in Geist 2E preview rules, on day-to-day level, Krewes works just likes Packs in Werewolf - you and your friends find specific Krewes general idea that is STILL much more specific than one Tribe/Archetype in game. Gangs, cults, helping groups, etc. Krewes can have bold statement about Underworld - but so do Packs in Werewolf, for example. And on day-to-day running, you simply do not see often single Tribe Packs in play.
                          I think you misunderstood me. With your suggestion the characters influence the Ceremonies of the krewe. Do they get anything else? Rules as written there's nothing that stops a character from fulfilling Archetypes as an individual. Whether you write down the Archetype on the character sheet or not doesn't change your character.
                          And since your suggestion still only mechanically affects the krewe, why remove Archetypes from krewes? They're a good starting point for the group when figuring out the krewe's Doctrines.
                          You also ignored my question about how to decide on Ceremonies when not having three Bound in a krewe.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

With your suggestion the characters influence the Ceremonies of the krewe. Do they get anything else?
                            As Archetypes are - generally - system agnostic as the are, no, players just choose their individual subfaction for polishing character and what they want to do with Underworld. Nothing more. More I think about it - it's a bit bummer that Archetypes do only this in RAW game - they get Krewe Doctrine general and few Ceremonies. That's it.

Rules as written there's nothing that stops a character from fulfilling Archetypes as an individual. Whether you write down the Archetype on the character sheet or not doesn't change your character.
                            You are right - but I like to write things down. That's why I make char sheets with Mr Gone, in first place. I also observe it's MUCH EASIER for player to make character looking over 5 typical Archetypes - than making everything himself from ground-up. Especially for new players.

And since your suggestion still only mechanically affects the krewe, why remove Archetypes from krewes? They're a good starting point for the group when figuring out the krewe's Doctrines.
                            This is... really good point. Choosing 'general Archetype' of Krewe ( probably the most represented in made PCs ) as starting point for Doctrine and Ceremonies is good idea here. I would just make that after initial step, players talk over if other Archetypes should not swap Doctrine and Ceremonies for the Krewe.

You also ignored my question about how to decide on Ceremonies when not having three Bound in a krewe.
                            You probably mention something related to Ceremonies rules - Could you point me at least to Preview PDF page number? I read 'jumping over' sections of Preview, as not having time to digest whole game at once, right now.

LGBT+ through Ages
                            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

You probably mention something related to Ceremonies rules - Could you point me at least to Preview PDF page number? I read 'jumping over' sections of Preview, as not having time to digest whole game at once, right now.
                              It's the rule you're already familiar with. The krewe gets three Ceremonies at three dot levels.

Hack implications - Logical is that IF Krewe is composed of members from Archetypes A, B and C - they can choose Ceremonies from lists from Archetypes A, B and C.They just choose ONE Ceremony for each dot level for whole Krewe. Done!
                              How do you determine which ceremonies to pick if you have more than 3 players? Then you end up with one or more players who doesn't get to choose a krewe Ceremony. And how do you determine what dot level each player gets to choose? If you work off of a sinlge krewe Archetype instead you already get the full list of the most relevant Ceremonies.

Comment

I see a lot of people saying that krewes in Geist should have group archetypes and doctrines and stuff so the krewe can have a unified focus. In the Chicago city book there are a number of werewolf packs. Each one has a specific focus (clean up the river, help the homeless, fight fire spirits, etc) but the packs all contain werewolves from different tribes. This shows that it is possible to have a krewe with a specific focus where the members deal with that focus in different ways ( by being different archetypes). A given focus may attract members of specific archetypes, but it shouldn't say "only members of this particular archetype can be included". Also, this is all great for NPC krewes, but PC krewes should be different. PC krewes should never be limited to one specific focus. It would be like saying "for this chronicle your characters will only be dealing with the ghosts of murdered homeless people". That's just silly. It should be more like "your characters will be dealing with troublesome ghosts in the city. You each have your own reasons for doing so, and your own way of dealing with them. Your diversity is what's you better than the NPC krewes that only focus on one specific area (if any other krewes even exist in the city)". I mean, by my understanding, geists are pretty rare, and it's unlikely that a city will have more than 1-2 krewes in it. The chances that all the geists in the city share the same archetype is highly unlikely. It's more likely that each is different and they come together for mutual support, and so their different skills can cover each other's weaknesses. Anyway, tldr version: I really don't like the krewe creation rules as they stand. They limit both character creation and chronicle creation WAY too much. If they stay as they are I'll be doing extensive house ruling to eliminate them in their entirety. hopefully the final book will have something in it that allows for the creating of mixed archetype krewes with more open doctrines.

Comment

Working...
                                X