[2E Hack] Universal Banes for ghosts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E Hack] Universal Banes for ghosts

So I like to use consistent rules across various CoD gamelines. And I love Supernatural TV series, where there monster hunters are famous for destroying ghosts be 'salting and burning' of their bodies corpses. And then I see those in Geist 2E preview ruleset...

Originally posted by Geist 2E preview
    Banes are increasingly esoteric and obscure with increasing Rank.
    Rank 0 ghosts have ubiquitous Banes. A phantasm melts away in sunlight.
    Rank 1 ghosts have common substances and phenomena as Banes, such as salt or fire.
    Rank 2 and 3 ghosts have difficult to obtain but still “natural” Banes such as holy water or
    silver.
    How would change setting making salt, fire and a like as Universal Banes for ghosts of Rank 0 & 1 - and maybe holy water and silver for those Rank 0-2 - would it change a game a lot? I would leave Rank 3 ghosts for truly unique Banes, as those Rank 3 ghosts are of geists level.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 07-21-2018, 10:13 PM.

LGBT+ in CoD games
    Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
    Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
    Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
    My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

Not much, You could get away with it no problem.

Of course, I would argue that if any of the ephemeral entitites are the most likely to not have universal banes, it'd probably be ghosts, but the folklore and mythology is there for you.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
    Work Blog Coming Soon
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
      How would change setting making salt, fire and a like as Universal Banes for ghosts of Rank 0 & 1 - and maybe holy water and silver for those Rank 0-2 - would it change a game a lot? I would leave Rank 3 ghosts for truly unique Banes, as those Rank 3 ghosts are of geists level.
      Yeah, but not necessarily in a bad way. I mean, I've always found banes a bit of a pain. The only issue is that this makes them a lot more predictable.

Maybe you could have a small pool of potential banes. So you have to try a few different ones before you find the one that works, but you at least know what they could potentially be.

Comment

It would simply mean that it would be easier to deal with low Ranked ghosts- you don't need to understand who they are or where they came from, only that for most of the ghosts you may stumble upon, those materials would probably work. If your goal is to make it easier for mortals to deal with ghosts without doing some deep research about the ghost in question, it would do the job.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Alternatively, maybe there’s a small ritual for “consecrating” tools into universal banes, at least to an extent. So the amateurs have to do some leg work, while the professionals get to skip some of the more ardurous stuff. Maybe this (a Merit?) doesn’t work on Rank 2 or 3+.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
            It would simply mean that it would be easier to deal with low Ranked ghosts- you don't need to understand who they are or where they came from, only that for most of the ghosts you may stumble upon, those materials would probably work. If your goal is to make it easier for mortals to deal with ghosts without doing some deep research about the ghost in question, it would do the job.
            THis IS a serious thing to consider-a big part of Sin-Eaters is the practice of empathy with ghosts, and the universal banes makes it too easy to slide into Tyrant mentality.

Keeping that in mind, it might be a better hack for Hunter, and if you use it in Sin-Eaters, I'd be careful about implementation.

...which normally would not be a problem, but context matters.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
            Work Blog Coming Soon
            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
            Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Yeah, but not necessarily in a bad way. I mean, I've always found banes a bit of a pain.
              It's exactly how I felt about Bane system to this date, from Hunter games I played.

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Maybe you could have a small pool of potential banes. So you have to try a few different ones before you find the one that works, but you at least know what they could potentially be.
              Universal Banes list:
              • Rank 0 & 1 - Salt, fire, what else?
              • Rank 0 - 2 - Holy water, Silver, Iron? ( Last is also from Supernatural TV series, it makes sense in those contexts. )

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Personally, I love the variety of banes, since it can tie in into the ghost's personality or backstory, and makes researching and investigating so much more worth it.
                I wouldn't mind "Universal" Banes to be a common thing, but would definitly stay away from making them apply always.

But as always, if it works for your table, go for it.

Comment

You could always do a partial mix - read it more as Reliable Banes - use the manner of death (or Key) to map them to a Bane. So those that die from violence have the Bane of Silver (or whatever), those that die from substances have the Bane of Salt, etc. As Rank climbs, it gets more specific, but the base remains the same.

This has some variation and needs a little research, but not as much as individualized Banes.
                  Last edited by Vent0; 07-22-2018, 08:31 AM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                  Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Personally, I love the variety of banes, since it can tie in into the ghost's personality or backstory, and makes researching and investigating so much more worth it.
                    I like the idea, I just haven't found it easy in practice. I've never seen any guidelines on what makes a good bane or how exactly you research one. like, what kind of ghost would be hurt by salt? What about them would suggest it would work?

Also, that's still present to a degree in finding the ghost's anchor.

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                    You could always do a partial mix - read it more as Reliable Banes - use the manner of death (or Key) to map them to a Bane. So those that die from violence have the Bane of Silver (or whatever), those that die from substances have the Bane of Salt, etc. As Rank climbs, it gets more specific, but the base remains the same.

This has some variation and needs a little research, but not as much as individualized Banes.
                    I love that idea. It'd give structure to the research.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Vent0, I love this idea - we should try to make this reality! Right, so let's make list of possible deaths ( so they would simply be Keys lists ? ) and let's look over Banes to connect them.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                      X