Edinesis - Edinburgh, Scotland 2E setting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edinesis - Edinburgh, Scotland 2E setting

Note: In this topic I often use local shorthand of Edinburgh name to ‘Edi’s’, like it’s called often by it’s
    Inhabitants.

So reading Geist 2E Previews, I'm a little bit disappointed by Edinburgh setting in GtSE 2E - it's more
    or less only conflict about two Krewes - Siege Perilous and Asterion’s Vengeance - nothing more. Other settings in 2E Preview looks more interesting, showing broader context – like Calcuta. As from few months I do research on the Edinburgh itself to start game there ( and probably move there ) I propose to fan expand the 2E setting. Notably that Edi’s is one of most haunted cities in the world!

So let’s start with fundamentals…

City of Ghosts

Edinburgh, capitol of Scotland, is often called Most Haunted City in the World – it’s filled with stories of ghosts and undead almost by every corner. For the Bound – city IS overcrowd with ghosts! Mystery is why it is the case? What makes dead so restless in Edi’s? Some say it’s because of underground in Edinburgh, where victims of the Black Plague were quarantined and left to die, breaking normal rules of passing. Other points to the ancient legends of the sleeping dragon on the site of start the first settlement, that calls to the dead for his future army when he awake. Rest points to myriad of theories – Earth’s Lay Lines nexus, Picts made portal to Underworld that collapsed on the site of Living World or simply ‘Fairies did this!’ are all common answers In more widely spoken Bound.

Truth is that nobody is sure WHY things in Edinburgh are way they are – only sure that city is overloaded with the dead.

Legends, Ghosts and Undead

Edi’s is filled with stories of the restless dead – I will gone in to few only. And one I even make small crossover with Beast.

Sleeping Dragon

Edinburgh's Arthur’s Seat and Sleeping Dragon legend
    '
    One of the most fantastical tales of Arthur’s Seat pre-dates even Celtic times. It’s the legend of the sleeping dragon. According to the legend, the land surrounding Edinburgh was once plagued by a huge ferocious dragon. It would circle the skies, terrifying locals, breathing fire, stealing precious livestock and generally getting up to the dragon-ly mischief. The people of Scotland didn’t know what to do. They were petrified of the beast and could see no way to satisfy its greed. Eventually however, this greed would become the reason for the dragon’s downfall.

Over weeks and months and years, the dragon ate and ate and ate, taking whatever supplies and animals it wanted from the people of Scotland without second thought. The beast became so greedy that it grew fat and slow. No longer the fierce monster it had once been, the dragon’s constant fullness had made it increasingly lazy. One day, it rested on top of a peak just outside the city for a sleep.

Unfortunately for the dragon, it never woke up. Instead, it became the hill we now know as Arthur’s Seat.'

However, Sleeping Dragon is seen from time to time to circle over city!

Dragon is Unfettered Beast – Ugallu Family and Hunger for Prey of the people it ate. Now it’s sleeps, waking from time to time to revisit sleeping people in Edi’s, feeding on their dreams. However, Dragon is (probably) collecting real army of ghosts – to whatever objective it imagined ages ago.

Edi's Castel

'One of the castle’s most popular spooky tales is the one of the headless drummer boy. His identity is unknown and he only makes an appearance when the castle is under threat. First spotted in 1650 when Oliver Cromwell attacked the castle, the ghost is said to be wandering the grounds.'

Is it only me but this 'unknown identity' and 'making appearance when castle is under threat' points to the Headless Drummer being geist, probably related to Key of Blood?

Another of the castle’s famous ghosts is the one of the Lone Piper. In this story, it’s said he was sent to the underground tunnels beneath the castle. Then, he was ordered to play his bagpipes so people could track him from above, but sadly he never returned. Still today, his pipe music can be heard in the castle as he endlessly walks along the underground tunnels.'

I have feeling that Lone Piper should be rather Rank 1 or Rank 2 simple ghost, as he feels less as avatar of Death than Headless Drummer - especially as 'ghosts sounds' are typical Rank 0 ghosts now.

Further reading – Most Hunted Places in Edinburgh
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 07-24-2018, 12:05 AM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Why no Reapers?

‘So how Edinburgh can be crowded with ghosts, exactly? Should not Reapers take care for most of them, eventually?’ – you ask, probably.

Well, they try. Reapers, Eaters of Dead, even Underworld – they all try to snatch ghosts from Edi’s grasps. And sometimes they achieve their goal. But in the larger scheme of things, capital of Scotland is still filled with very large number of ghosts per living capita, some even very old. Why?

Cause dead are protected. Sleeping Dragon from eons watch over ghosts he calls in dream to his army. Picts and Scotsmans krewes of centuries before looked over local dead. There is also Lodge of local Bone Shadows werewolves, interested in protecting and investigating ghosts. And even Underworld cannot truly take care of all the tidal wave of ghosts that are locally created in Edinburgh – whatever the source of this phenomena is.

Some Bound even say that Edi’s Twilight is itself like River City in Great Below! It’s probably overstatement – as most ghosts are unconsciously locked in their life or death loops – but there are nights in the year where you cannot walk down any street to not pass the dead. And it’s fills the more faint-hearted Sin-Eaters with real terror.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 07-26-2018, 11:04 PM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

So I need a bit direction to move this setting more - What things need to be expanded now, you think? Wormwood, you were previous interested in this setting - maybe some thoughts on what should be described next?

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
        Note: In this topic I often use local shorthand of Edinburgh name to ‘Edi’s’, like it’s called often by it’s
        Inhabitants.
        I like what you've got here, but are you sure about that? I've never heard anyone call it Edi.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I like what you've got here, but are you sure about that? I've never heard anyone call it Edi.
          It's from my Polish friends that are now living there, almost 5 years. They described to me that term 'Edi' is popular. Maybe at least in Polish emigrants circles? Michael, some direction to be described next would be appreciated.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

It's from my Polish friends that are now living there, almost 5 years. They described to me that term 'Edi' is popular. Maybe at least in Polish emigrants circles?
            It's possible. It's a bit odd because it's not that uncommon to hear the name pronounced 'Embra' which drops the d entirely. That might be a West Coast thing though.

some direction to be described next would be appreciated.
            I really don't know. Are you going to keep those two Krewes?

Comment

Are you going to keep those two Krewes?
              Was going to. I wanted to expand the original setting, not re-written it all together.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

RE: "Why No Reapers"
                I like how that's basically the opposite of Beijing where Reapers are basically the law of the land and Krewes are just kind of around. Interesting dichotomy between the two cities.

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

Here are two 'local' Dominions in Underworld to Edinburgh citizens, based on their strong Celtic roots and now majority of Catholics population. Take in account those are (semi)non-canon, as actual cultures afterlives in Underworld were thing in 1E, but not in 2E now.

Returning to the topic after official 2E Preview on Dominions. Remember, we talk here about stuff that is (semi) non-canon, Dominions based on human beliefs ‘fun-mirror’. Let’s start with stuff from Dark Eras 1 book, precisely Wolf & Raven Viking chapter.

Gehenna
                  Some souls enter the Underworld and see only a place of punishment. Without their glorious heaven of warmth, light, and beauty, they believe they are damned and exiled to an eternity of torture. They sink deeper and deeper into despair until pain is all that they can feel.

Gehenna is a landscape of broken stone and deep pits filled by funeral pyres. Wailing screams rise on the hot winds along with the smell of burning meat. The eldest denizens have become the daemons who lord their strength over the others, patrolling the domain and brutalizing imprisoned souls. Most souls beg travelers for deliverance or demand their freedom; others wallow in their fates, addicted to the punishments they suffer. Crossing this place is fraught with danger, from the inhospitable landscape to the monstrous souls that assault any passers-by.

The Kerberos here is Satanis, a giant man with the beastly head of a goat. His skin blisters beneath a layer of sizzling grease. Up close it becomes obvious that the goat’s head is a leather mask, like the heathens wear at harvest ceremonies but permanently bound in place. His jaw strains against the thick leather as pained grunts escape his lips and his wild eyes bulge through holes that gouge into the sockets.

Torturing imprisoned souls provides him a distraction from the pain of his own constriction and burning. There is no dealing or bargaining with this one. Sin-Eaters must be strong
                  enough to fight or quick enough to flee.

Old Laws: Deliverance must come at the hands of an other. Accept punishment for your sins and crimes. Do not interfere with another's punishment.

Getting There: Find a bronze monotheistic faith symbol ( Star of David, Cross, Calligraphic representation of the word Allah ) and burn it in the flames. In the same pyre smith the shackles. In those on your hand, go in the darkest night outside.

Story Hooks
                  • Christian ghost run from the Gehenna back to living world to fulfil his (un)lifelong revenge. Agents of Satanis are looking over him here. Is it just to give ghost back to ‘daemons’, for eternal punishment? Or let vengeful soul to kill people?

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

And here is Celtic Dominion to use in game.
                    I recasted Tír na nÓg as local Changeling Arcadia variant – and putted Tech Duinn as Underworld Dominion.

Tech Duinn ( "House of the Dark One")
                    Tech Duinn is a representation of darkness in the living world – dense forests, its deep lakes, its castle ruins and its grabbing rivers. It’s shores are constantly pressed by the sea crashing into the rocks, under constant storm. It’s an large island inside sea of darkness and ending that is Ocean of Fragments.

Tech Duinn's is a place where dead goes to before final resting. It’s darkened world – with heavy clouds and dim lighting, like just before eternal rain - but mirroring world of living. Souls come here before they great resetting, dissolving in the Ocean of Fragments, and returning to the Great Cycle. Ghosts here are reliving their lives so they can pure themselves of any baggage before their final destination, putted before not only past memories – but also before elements. From time to time comes Great Storm, washing away the dead to the Ocean of Fragments – those that do not fight it, are forever dissolved in it’s waters.

The Kerberos here is Donn, The Dark One. Most commonly seen as beautiful man, but overlaid with shadow, like he was standing wrong in sunny day. Those that ire him see the great cloud of moving darkness, like living pall of worst storm. There is saying that Donn is using souls under his care – or treasuring them. Most of the time, dead are looked over by the Pale Raiders of the Dark One – skeletal figures under red cape and hoods, raiding skeletal horses in red mantel. Apparently their saying in official matters is "We ride the horses of Donn - although we are alive, we are dead.”

There are rumours that in Tech Duinn are portals and passes to Tír na nÓg, Land of Fae.

Old Laws: Face the past. Fight the storm.

Getting There: By the crossing sea into West on the storm – you must call the name ‘Donn’ three times to the waves. You will woke up on the shores of Tech Duinn.

Story Hooks
                    • Long lost shipwrecked returns to the community. He says about island of darkness and bone chilling sights. Is he found out location of Tech Duinn?
                    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 07-29-2018, 01:11 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

and now majority of Catholics population.
                      It isn't majority Catholic. It's majority Church of Scotland. (Actually, it's majority 'no religion', but that's not terribly helpful).

I do like those though.

Comment

It isn't majority Catholic. It's majority Church of Scotland. (Actually, it's majority 'no religion', but that's not terribly helpful).
                        My bad. I did not dwell before in to religions of Scotland deeply, but I remebered that Stuarts line of Britain monarchs were Catholics. Still, from last 2011 census, I see Catholicism, after Church of Scotland, is second biggest church in country, so Catholics are also to be consider. However, Gehenna Dominion will, probably, easily be place for both Protestants ( from Church of Scotland ) and Catholics - as it's not the matter of general afterlife idea those two churches differ in.

As to 'no religion' crowd in general population - some Limbo Dominion would be in order...

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

My bad. I did not dwell before in to religions of Scotland deeply, but I remebered that Stuarts line of Britain monarchs were Catholics.

It's more or less where Presbyterianism comes from. Until fairly recently, Scotland was pretty fanatically protestant and also deeply anti-Catholic, especially compared to England.

It's worth bearing in mind that the Stuarts were pretty unpopular and generally didn't live in Scotland.

However, Gehenna Dominion will, probably, easily be place for both Protestants ( from Church of Scotland ) and Catholics - as it's not the matter of general afterlife idea those two churches differ in.

Maybe more so. I think they still have a doctrine of Predestination of some kind on the books.

As to 'no religion' crowd in general population - some Limbo Dominion would be in order...

Sounds good.

Comment

Wait...Tech Duinn has a trod? Okay, but what does that look like?

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
                              Wait...Tech Duinn has a trod? Okay, but what does that look like?
                              Wait, wait - What trod? I do not remember writing about this. I only pointed there would be portals to Changeling Arcadia. Trod is way inside Arcadia, not to it.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                              X