Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Haunts and Keys and More Haunts?! Oh My!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunts and Keys and More Haunts?! Oh My!

So, apparently I'm incredibly impatient for the Geist Kickstarter to even finish before I start writing things, so I've been making a few things for use in Geist. I made a full set of Keys, along with not one, not two, but four Haunts. Any feedback would be appreciated.

A full set of Keys, one for each Attribute

The Hourglass Haunt, focused on manipulating time and eternity

The Revenant Haunt, invest in an animate corpse, giving it ever greater power and skill

The Hearse, transportation throughout the Above, the Below, and everywhere in between (Original)

The Maw, hunger for Essence, flesh, and everything else

Nice! I'm studying right now, so I can't offer much, but I can offer a full version of one of my Custom Keys:

The Key of Freedom: The Rebel's Key, the Key of Resolution and Defiance, The Key of Alabaster Liberation

Attribute: Resolve

Give me liberty, or give me death. This Key is proof that the speaker is often quite serious. This path to the Underworld was forged in the souls of people who chose death over bondage, hurling oneself over the edge of a slave ship, starving to death rather than eat prison food, being shot by an invader's tanks during a firefight where they gave no ground. Needless to say, it is not a popular Key amongst Reapers or non Sin-Eater Bound, for those who resonate with the Key are usually those who feel the most cheated by the promise of an afterlife of fighting against an eternally hungry cavern under cold Kerberoi oversight - and are more than idealistic enough to try and change it. Excellent bragging rights among the Sin-Eaters, though.

Resonance: The Key of Freedom is most resonant in situations that prove its point; resisting attempts to force compliance through violence, intimidation, or the power of the law. This cannot be a hypothetical, the Sin-Eater must be actively invoking this key to save someone (including herself) from attempts to shackle her will directly. Especially amoral Bound are known to create these situations, but the Key isn't stupid; if the person oppressing the subject is the Bound herself, that goes against the very spirit of the Rebel's Key and it will not draw forth its potential; in fact, it's liable to provoke a crisis point as the Geist is disturbed by the Key itself fighting back.

Doom: Rebels must have tyrants for the struggle to have any meaning, and the Chthonic is all-too-willing to provide. A Reaper or Kerberos instinctively senses this Doom upon a user, and at any point may chose to Resolve this condition to either automatically win a contested roll (or extended roll) against the Sin-Eater or for her to dramatically fail a roll meant to change the Underworld's status quo. If the dramatic failure is invoked, the Sin-Eater gains a Beat for the dramatic failure as well as the Doom's Resolution.

Comment

Nice.

I'd increase the power of the upper ratings of Hourglass so far - let the Bound act freely during The World as long as they have Charges to burn. For Turn Back The Clock, I'd extend the time to a full Scene, and reduce the Haunt lock-out to the end of the Scene. If they have the Plasm (and/or Keys) to burn, let them relive the same event, over and over. It just seems more fitting as a ghost story.

Revenant seems very similar to Marionette, applied to an object (including a corpse). What are you identifying as the key differences, other than the base stat-block?

Loving the Hearse, as always. Travel in style.

The Maw is nice, even if its base effect has some overlap with the Rage. For Trapped In The Walls, why not just let them use the Engulf Numina? Starvation is alright, for other-supernatural interaction, but seems lackluster for a 4-dot effect. Gourmand allows for some power copying, which is nice, though it is a bit restricted compared to what Vampires (via Coils/Scales) and Demons (via Show of Power) can do.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

What do you mean by "act freely during The World"?

I realize that Turn Back The Clock is a little limited, but I was trying to prevent the Shifting Sands issue, but it might be a good idea to modify it slightly.

The main benefit Revenant has over Marionette is being able to create a specialized servant to use for a specific purpose, and/or building up a bank of them to swap in and out. Marionette is just raising a corpse, Revenant is raising a champion.

Glad to hear I did good with Hearse.

I took inspiration for Trapped in the Walls from the Underworld part of the same name, as well as the Gristlegrinder kith power, which let you swallow people whole. The main idea was to let you eat and digest someone, while Engulf is more catch and release, if that makes sense.

What would you recommend to do with Starvation to improve it? I like being able to steal other super's fuel, but other effects would be welcome to it.

How would you recommend improving Gourmand?

Comment

I'm not sure that the basic description of the Revenant isn't already done in a more versatile manner by the Tomb's mid-level boost, and the Hearse and the Hourglass don't seem to really fit under the umbrella of Creepy Ghost Powers as currently described.

Resident Lore-Hound
          Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by The Third King View Post
            What do you mean by "act freely during The World"?
            The Demon Exploit Stop lets them essentially take extra turns, with the caveat that they can't really affect others (since they are "stopped" and change requires time with which to operate over). They can move, heal/buff themselves, think, or set up traps, however. The World could allow for similar, expending Charges (1 or more) per Turn.

I realize that Turn Back The Clock is a little limited, but I was trying to prevent the Shifting Sands issue, but it might be a good idea to modify it slightly.
            What is the exact issue with Shifting Sands? If Turn Back The Clock is limited to a Scene duration, and you can't re-use it again until the end of the Scene, the most you can go back in time is the immediate Scene, and it is going to cost Plasm and/or Dooms each "reset".

The main benefit Revenant has over Marionette is being able to create a specialized servant to use for a specific purpose, and/or building up a bank of them to swap in and out. Marionette is just raising a corpse, Revenant is raising a champion.
            Make sense. I'd think that might be better suited to a Ceremony, though (plus, making it a Ceremony as opposed to a Haunt lets mortal necromancers in on the fun).

I took inspiration for Trapped in the Walls from the Underworld part of the same name, as well as the Gristlegrinder kith power, which let you swallow people whole. The main idea was to let you eat and digest someone, while Engulf is more catch and release, if that makes sense.
            Yeah. What about Engulf, but it also deals The Maw damage-for-Plasm as well?

What would you recommend to do with Starvation to improve it? I like being able to steal other super's fuel, but other effects would be welcome to it.
            I don't know, off-hand. Maybe the broadened palate is a free bonus, and this dot let's you "inhale" targets, pulling them closer of a bite?

How would you recommend improving Gourmand?
            The Demon Exploit "Show of Power" lets you copy a power you've seen, albeit with only a single Success (or 3 on an Exceptional Success), and only limited to Instant and Reflexive actions. Use that as a benchmark? I'm sure there are some variations that can be used.

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
            I'm not sure that the basic description of the Revenant isn't already done in a more versatile manner by the Tomb's mid-level boost, and the Hearse and the Hourglass don't seem to really fit under the umbrella of Creepy Ghost Powers as currently described.
            Hearse has some niche, in ghostly horsemen and ghost cars (and Ghost Rider). Some ghostly phenomena seems to play with time, or at least the perception of it.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
              Hearse has some niche, in ghostly horsemen and ghost cars (and Ghost Rider).
              I mean, those are already accomplished by the Tomb and regular nonhuman ghosts, but also every mechanical aspect of the Hearse after the first dot is increasing ranges of "you teleport." Modern ghost media has that as a recurring bit that Geist partially gets at through things like Anchor Jump and certain Rank 1 ghosts only seeming to exist at specific times, but the Hearse as-presented takes three dots and six extra Plasm to get to freaky Sadako nonsense and instead makes the core power of an ostensibly transportation-based Haunt chiefly knowledge-based — the first dot of Ride the Hearse doesn't actually make you move any faster than you would normally unless you're doing something ghosts very specifically don't usually do because of how Anchors work.

Some ghostly phenomena seems to play with time, or at least the perception of it.
              Same problem — the power as-written very much comes across as more focused on "time power" than "ghostly phenomenon that plays with subjective or objective time." It reads like decompressed Celerity with Shifting Sands tacked onto the end instead of a power that engages with spooky death-related phenomena in a fashion that feels appropriate to ghosts. "Manipulating time and eternity" is the kind of thing many ghosts likely wish they could do, but most of the unquiet dead engage with history from a more on-the-ground perspective and it feels inappropriate for a Haunt to not tap into that sense for a time-manipulation power.

Resident Lore-Hound
              Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

I'm thinking of Discworld's Death when I say this, but when I think of hourglasses in conjunction with the dead, I think more of 'time running out' than of it being at ghosts' command. Perhaps we could work with that? Inflicting age and infirmity, rotting boards to splinters under the weight of years, that creepy 'accelerated movement' that's not quite teleporting and so on. Above all, I don't think ghosts should have the power to turn back time. Making things appear as they were is the Tomb's wheelhouse, but ghosts should never be able to do what Gatsby couldn't and go back.

On the 'stopping time' note, though, I could see that as a capstone to the Haunt, but what about making it a 'mental' timestop, ala Rolo from Code Geass?

Comment

Working...
                X