Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - Geist edition.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Minty View Post
    The 4 dot Shroud power, Harrow, says that you can bring another person into Twilight with you, but if they resist you must grapple them first. The Shroud condition also says that it resolves if you "do something to draw significant attention to yourself (e.g. attack someone, scream loudly, use another Haunt)." Should I take this to mean that grappling doesn't count as drawing enough attention to resolve the condition, or how does this work?
    Despite grappling being mechanically an unarmed attack, I think it's safe to say "grab somebody" fills a sufficiently different narrative niche than "take a swing at somebody" for the purposes of a power that makes you work more like a ghost. You could still draw significant attention in the course of using the Enhancement's effect, but just grasping at a person you're pursuing while looking like an effects test for Ringu probably isn't going to terminate the Condition on its own.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Makes sense to me, thanks.

Comment

• Can barghests become geists?

Comment

• Originally posted by Minty View Post
          Can barghests become geists?
          A barghest who might be a geist is mentioned in the Setting chapter.

Genius templates: Super Science Mini-Template for Demon: the Descent

Oracle the Endbringers: Time-Manipulator Fan-Splat

Comment

• I must have missed it, thanks!

Comment

• It should be mentioned that that particular entity is an oddity rather than an affirmation of possibility. Barghests who enter into the Underworld tend to just follow their instincts down into the Rivers, where in they promptly dissolve into Plasm and Essence. Arguably a Barghest with enough local clout buried as the first entity in a graveyard might return as a guardian geist, though I recall some doubt and argumentation on the subject.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
              Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

• The presence of X does always affirm the possibility of X. Whether the circumstances that led to X can be replicated is another question.

I'd personally go with it as possible but incredibly rare since barghests are unlikely to ever increase their Rank through the Rivers for mentioned reasons and the fact that doppelgänger barghests would be extremely unlikely (if not impossible, but again I do prefer to leave the possibility open).
                I'd say that the most likely way for a barghest to reach Rank 3 would be to drag it up from a River before it dissolves, or otherwise forcing it to drink. But I would not recommend it since the influence of the Underworld on a mind that wasn't human or even sapient to begin with might not be healthy for anyone involved.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Whatever. Anyway, here's that conversation I was thinking of.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                  The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                  Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

• What material state do you have to be in to interact with an Avernian Gate? I realize Bound are probably able to enter it as they are physical mediums, but what about regular people? Or Mages? What about personal possessions, would they just change into ephemera when entering the gate?

Comment

• Originally posted by Therian View Post
                      What material state do you have to be in to interact with an Avernian Gate? I realize Bound are probably able to enter it as they are physical mediums, but what about regular people? Or Mages? What about personal possessions, would they just change into ephemera when entering the gate?
                      It seems that regular people can open and enter in a gate, i think that when the gate is opened with the key it exists in both material and twilight.
                      But it s only my interpretation

Comment

• I have a question about rank advancement for Geists. I've seen someone answer here that advancing the Rank doesn't increase the other attributes of he Geist, but I also wanted to ask if that also apllies to when the players buys the Dread Geist merit. If it does does that mean that Dread Geist just raises the Rank at the beggining of play for the purposes of acting as a bane to Rank1-2 ghosts? Also, since Geists increase Rank by resolving theur Remembrance, you don't have to raise all your attributes to the minimum of the next one like a normal ghost, right?

Comment

• Also on the topic os ghost mechanics, ghosts can use their numina on subjects they see through twilight or do they have to be manifested in some way?

Comment

• Is there any upper limit to the duration of The Boneyard beyond those listed in the Condition?

I'm suddenly wondering if, through a combination of the Boneyard and Shroud Haunts, a Sin-Eater could set up a "ghost refuge" area, suffused with the Open Condition and free from the worry of Essence Bleed. The Bound can't leave or draw attention to themselves and it crumbles if the geist's Bane or Ban is brought around, but otherwise seems like a surprisingly cheap option to make a "safety net" that prevents ghosts from having to worry about Essence or being swept away to the Underworld (if I'm correct in understanding how "Open" works).

I thought of this while wandering through the Geist book and am mostly just fishing for someone to poke a hole I missed. I'm reading the Materialized Condition right now and it's making me slightly confused.

It could be an interesting story hook. Has the Sin-Eater gotten a bit strange from the years spent without sleeping or leaving the area? Does the player Krewe's goals conflict with this sanctuary and require them to make a journey to negotiate with this reclusive caretaker?

Originally posted by PinkHaunt View Post
                            Also on the topic os ghost mechanics, ghosts can use their numina on subjects they see through twilight or do they have to be manifested in some way?
                            They can use them from Twilight unless the Numina says otherwise.
                            Last edited by Intrepid Vector; 08-09-2019, 08:14 PM. Reason: Answering PinkHaunt

Comment

• Originally posted by Intrepid Vector View Post
                              I'm suddenly wondering if, through a combination of the Boneyard and Shroud Haunts, a Sin-Eater could set up a "ghost refuge" area, suffused with the Open Condition and free from the worry of Essence Bleed. The Bound can't leave or draw attention to themselves and it crumbles if the geist's Bane or Ban is brought around, but otherwise seems like a surprisingly cheap option to make a "safety net" that prevents ghosts from having to worry about Essence or being swept away to the Underworld (if I'm correct in understanding how "Open" works).

I thought of this while wandering through the Geist book and am mostly just fishing for someone to poke a hole I missed. I'm reading the Materialized Condition right now and it's making me slightly confused.
                              Ghosts still lose one point of Essence per day even when they're safe from Essence Bleed, Materialized lasts for as many hours as the ghost rolls successes on using Materialize, Materialize costs three Essence per use, and being Materialized is one of the few ways ghosts actually take aggravated damage from their Banes.

Geist's copy of the ephemeral being mechanics further specifies Bleed as something that happens outside of the Anchor Condition, and the Boneyard doesn't create an Anchor to go with the Open Condition; the basic Liminal Aura and more-than-minimal Synergy accomplish most of what locking yourself in a Boneyard for the sake of specters does without the geographical constraint.

Resident Lore-Hound
                              Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Yeah, I did figure I might have been wrong about what all the Open Condition did. Alas! But yes, good point that Liminal Aura does much of what I intended for a Sin-Eater looking to shepard some ghosts.

Comment

Working...
                                X