Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - Geist edition.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lorekeeper View Post
    Given the apparent rules of "increasing Rank does not increase attributes", is there a way for Geists to gain attribute dots, or are they locked in to their starting dots?
    They're stuck there.

Originally posted by Lorekeeper View Post
    Besides extra dice when acting as a tolerance trait and acting as a Bane to (Rank-2) ghosts, is there any bonus to increasing its Rank?
    When Unleashed, all of the Geist's Keys can be used as Influences with [Rank] dots. Three to four to five is a huge difference, if it shows up in play.

Originally posted by Lorekeeper View Post
    As a sidenote, doesn't the lack of attribute dot increase break the rules on the attribute dots an ephemeral entity has per Rank? Is there anything to show this break is intended?
    Specific rules beats specific rules.
    As seen with playable ghosts in the Appendix, they need to have the right Attributes before increasing Rank. Since a Geist in a Bargain isn't capable of doing that, it instead just gains Rank increases. When released (barring Catharsis or destruction), it's unknown whether the Geist remains with mismatched traits or not.

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Given the apparent rules of "increasing Rank does not increase attributes", is there a way for Geists to gain attribute dots, or are they locked in to their starting dots? Besides extra dice when acting as a tolerance trait and acting as a Bane to (Rank-2) ghosts, is there any bonus to increasing its Rank?
      Effective Rank caps the level at which you can access your Remembrance Traits and your geist's Rank still sets the level of Influence it has in its innate Key(s), which is nothing to sneeze at in the jump from 3 to 4.

Resident Lore-Hound
      Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Excellent. Thanks, folks!

Consumer of lore, myth, history, tales and songs.
        Constantly Out in the Grapes ™

Comment

• What’s the deal with weapons and Physical Medium? On pg.97 the text paragraph say the Bound can’t stab or shoot a ghost, but in the bullet points below under Ghost Touch, it say even ranged weapons work? Is this something that will be errata or am I missing something?

Comment

• Im wondering. How possible would it be to run a Geist game but with the Geist as the primary point of view instead of the sin-eater ?

Completed campaign: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 2year old daughter anf a 1 year old son.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post
              Im wondering. How possible would it be to run a Geist game but with the Geist as the primary point of view instead of the sin-eater ?
              Without major rewrites, basically not at all. For the vast majority of the time you'd be stuck only being able to observe as well as converse with the Bound. Since conversing with your Bound is the primary way to do anything at all in the game, you'll have to control them, and at that point you'll just play the Bound like you're doing in the vanilla game.
              Technically you could relinquish control of the Bound to the ST, but then it primarily becomes the ST narrating everything, and the players are relegated to in-character prompts to influence the ST's narration rather than actually play the game.
              Last edited by Tessie; 11-10-2019, 06:44 PM.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Hm, i understand thank you.
                It might then be just a question of telling the players to view the geist as their primary character but still being in control of the geist.

Completed campaign: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 2year old daughter anf a 1 year old son.

Comment

• Can geists interact with the physical world in any other way beyond sin-eaters unleashing them or using their influence?

Comment

• If we're being pedantic, bound Geists can't use influence without being Unleashed, and they can be Unleashed through a Crisis Point as well as Sin-Eater action. Otherwise, IIRC, Geists don't interact directly with the world. They have a Twilight projection, though, or usually do.

There is a lot of indirect action they can take through their Sin-Eater, though

Comment

If we're being pedantic, bound Geists can't use influence without being Unleashed, and they can be Unleashed through a Crisis Point as well as Sin-Eater action. Otherwise, IIRC, Geists don't interact directly with the world. They have a Twilight projection, though, or usually do.

There is a lot of indirect action they can take through their Sin-Eater, though
                      Thanks. So basically, a geist can't do anything at all to the physical world without being unleashed. It's just that I wasn't sure about what exactly can geists do on their own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firanai View Post

So basically, a geist can't do anything at all to the physical world without being unleashed. It's just that I wasn't sure about what exactly can geists do on their own.
                        They still have all of the mental and social faculty that they can use to speak with their Sin-Eater, and I would rule it that any entity that can see ghosts in Twilight could interact with the Geist.

Also, the Geist and Sin-Eater can physically interact, although without the ability to cause harm to each other. I remember it was in a sidebar but I can't remember what page it was

Comment

They still have all of the mental and social faculty that they can use to speak with their Sin-Eater, and I would rule it that any entity that can see ghosts in Twilight could interact with the Geist.

Also, the Geist and Sin-Eater can physically interact, although without the ability to cause harm to each other. I remember it was in a sidebar but I can't remember what page it was
                          "However, bound geists can (and often do) project an image of themselves in Twilight near their Sin-Eater. This projection is immaterial even to other beings in Twilight and in the Underworld, but ghosts and other Bound can see it.
                          A Sin-Eater can touch her own geist (and vice versa), but no matter how violent their interactions, neither can actually inflict damage on the other."

Page 100, On the Leash

Comment

• In the 2nd edition, a Bound can activate a marionette's Haunt on a target seen through a boneyard? Or whatever other Haunt?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nesky View Post
                              In the 2nd edition, a Bound can activate a marionette's Haunt on a target seen through a boneyard? Or whatever other Haunt?
                              As far as I'm reading it, Marionette works so long as there is line of sight on the target. So with the 2 dot Boneyard effect, that would imply you can activate the Marionette Haunt while your physical body can't perceive the target.

Comment

• You can activate Marionette Haunt on things you can perceive iirc, which links up with Boneyard's extrasensory effect or, say live footage cameras. I'm pretty sure there's a note in the book that says Sin-Eaters specifically tend not to communicate through phones because of being targeted by such things with a phone's camera.

Comment

Working...
                                X