Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - Geist edition.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do you think it s possible to use The Caul power The hungry dead on a ghost without commicting ectophagia?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Neos01 View Post
      Do you think it s possible to use The Caul power The hungry dead on a ghost without commicting ectophagia?
      Considering the specific wording of the text ("If the Sin-Eater consumed the target via ectophagia, this Enhancement costs no Plasm."), the answer is most likely yes.

      Can geists regain Essence for being remembered like other ghosts?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
        Can geists regain Essence for being remembered like other ghosts?
        In theory, but Iconic and Broken and the nature of how most geists are made make that slim pickings.


        Resident Lore-Hound
        Currently Consuming: Demon: the Descent 1e

        Comment


        • Am I mistaken or there are no Night Horrors books for Geist?
          I can't remember or find any, neither 1e nor 2e.

          Comment


          • To my knowledge, geist 2e only had Memento mori as a supplement, don't remember any night horror for 1st ed either.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by moonwhisper View Post
              Am I mistaken or there are no Night Horrors books for Geist?
              I can't remember or find any, neither 1e nor 2e.
              Geist 1e had one and a half books in total (Book of the Dead was, technically, a bluebook in the same mold as Book of Spirits), not counting the large handful of SAS modules.

              For a good long while, Grim Fears was an outlier in being a non-Big Three Night Horrors book, and for the moment, Geist 2e shares the "no Night Horrors" distinction with Mummy, Hunter, and Deviant; notably, those are the four most recently-published corebooks in the edition.


              Resident Lore-Hound
              Currently Consuming: Demon: the Descent 1e

              Comment


              • Hello everyone, I'm about to run my first geist game and, against my better judgement, I have allowed one of the players to play a moros mage, what I would like to know is if there is some way to introduce an old law or another narrative expedient so that I can "contain" the mage player and not let him derail the chronicle, kerberoi are rank 6 entities so that is already something I can use but I'm wondering if there are other canon "tools" shall we say (even from 1st ed) that could help keeping things from spiraling off control.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Newb95 View Post
                  Hello everyone, I'm about to run my first geist game and, against my better judgement, I have allowed one of the players to play a moros mage, what I would like to know is if there is some way to introduce an old law or another narrative expedient so that I can "contain" the mage player and not let him derail the chronicle, kerberoi are rank 6 entities so that is already something I can use but I'm wondering if there are other canon "tools" shall we say (even from 1st ed) that could help keeping things from spiraling off control.
                  Lines and Veils, albeit for a less intense purpose than that tool is usually thought of as serving.

                  Get the group together and set expectations and boundaries re: what the mage's player wants to be able to do and what everyone else doesn't want to deal with versus what they'd be okay with handling (and how often). Why does this player want to play a Moros and what convinced you to let them?

                  More mechanically speaking, the fact that mages need to make a breakthrough for every new dot of Gnosis (and Gnosis limits their Arcana) should help to manage the pacing for how much the character can do compared to the rest of the krewe, as may the answer to whether the character belongs to a Sect or is simply a solitary or a member of a Nameless Order.
                  Last edited by Satchel; 05-30-2022, 01:09 PM.


                  Resident Lore-Hound
                  Currently Consuming: Demon: the Descent 1e

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                    Lines and Veils, albeit for a less intense purpose than that tool is usually thought of as serving.

                    Get the group together and set expectations and boundaries re: what the mage's player wants to be able to do and what everyone else doesn't want to deal with versus what they'd be okay with handling (and how often). Why does this player want to play a Moros and what convinced you to let them?

                    Well, he is an old friend with whom I have been playing for a long time and a mage fan since ascension, it was also his birthday to boot so I just told him yes but he is exactly the kind of mage player that make storytellers ban mages at their tables. The group all played together for quite a while and are all friends so I don't expect problems between the players, what I do expect is him finding a way to royally screw the chronicle with some outlandishly stupid plan like trying to take over a dominion by himself or bring a dominion into the living world in an effort to depower a kerberoi. We already had the talk where I told him that I would be summoning ghostzilla to eat him if he tried anything like this and he said he didn't have a problem with it (most of the mage games I have seen him in ended with his characters dying due to some stupid idea) but I would prefer a more elegant solution that might tap into the lore so that I could use it both as a containment measure and as an hook to expand the story. The geist core book is ambiguos enough about the kerberoi that I could just use them and say that a particular spell they had in mind (like trying to unmake a kerberoi) simply doesn't work but I'm open to anything that I could use that wouldn't come as a blatant attempt to keep him in check.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Newb95 View Post
                      Well, he is an old friend with whom I have been playing for a long time and a mage fan since ascension, it was also his birthday to boot so I just told him yes but he is exactly the kind of mage player that make storytellers ban mages at their tables. The group all played together for quite a while and are all friends so I don't expect problems between the players, what I do expect is him finding a way to royally screw the chronicle with some outlandishly stupid plan like trying to take over a dominion by himself or bring a dominion into the living world in an effort to depower a kerberoi. We already had the talk where I told him that I would be summoning ghostzilla to eat him if he tried anything like this and he said he didn't have a problem with it (most of the mage games I have seen him in ended with his characters dying due to some stupid idea) but I would prefer a more elegant solution that might tap into the lore so that I could use it both as a containment measure and as an hook to expand the story. The geist core book is ambiguos enough about the kerberoi that I could just use them and say that a particular spell they had in mind (like trying to unmake a kerberoi) simply doesn't work but I'm open to anything that I could use that wouldn't come as a blatant attempt to keep him in check.
                      I mean, you're asking for a tool that's based in a kind of adversarial ST/player interaction for a game where the main way of accomplishing Big Things always works as long as the characters do the legwork (and the roll just determines how badly it fucks them up), specifically for dealing with a character from a game where the power systems are designed to give PCs just enough rope to hang themselves with, and the main game specifically has Self Versus Service as a listed theme representing personal goals conflicting with group goals.

                      It doesn't matter if you don't foresee intra-party conflict arising, the most elegant solution is still to make sure everyone's on the same page about what you all want out of this game and are prepared to deal with. Starting everyone from ground-level and making sure the PCs relate to each other well enough to help each other and/or weigh the impact of their actions on their fellow celebrants will go a long way.


                      Resident Lore-Hound
                      Currently Consuming: Demon: the Descent 1e

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                        I mean, you're asking for a tool that's based in a kind of adversarial ST/player interaction for a game where the main way of accomplishing Big Things always works as long as the characters do the legwork (and the roll just determines how badly it fucks them up), specifically for dealing with a character from a game where the power systems are designed to give PCs just enough rope to hang themselves with, and the main game specifically has Self Versus Service as a listed theme representing personal goals conflicting with group goals.

                        It doesn't matter if you don't foresee intra-party conflict arising, the most elegant solution is still to make sure everyone's on the same page about what you all want out of this game and are prepared to deal with. Starting everyone from ground-level and making sure the PCs relate to each other well enough to help each other and/or weigh the impact of their actions on their fellow celebrants will go a long way.

                        I'm not trying to be adversarial to my player, my problem is that I'm not skilled enough as an ST to be able to run a mage game and any game where there is even a single mage is automatically one, I am very good at improvising but I have played mage games and I quite frankly couldn't think of a possible follow up to say, the mage teleporting into the dominion of the highly hostile kerberoi, snatching the legendary memento right under its nose and then coming back, that triviliaze what would be a 3 or 4 sessions of a normal geist game.

                        Anyway that is my burden as an ST I guess, I will think of something and hopefully manage to run a good game for all the players, thanks for the answers.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Newb95 View Post
                          I am very good at improvising but I have played mage games and I quite frankly couldn't think of a possible follow up to say, the mage teleporting into the dominion of the highly hostile kerberoi, snatching the legendary memento right under its nose and then coming back, that triviliaze what would be a 3 or 4 sessions of a normal geist game.
                          Knowing the limits of Awakened magic goes a long way — to use your example, sympathetic magic is spell-intensive and requires specific resources, and teleportation is not a simple trick to manage even at the lower level of "these two places are spatially connected," to say nothing of how most Moros will need to have personal practice with the relevant spells for them to not burn through their Mana in one sitting, and ghosts who stick around in the Underworld can communicate and trade. The Long-Term Nimbus of a Moros attracts the sort of phenomena for which "Reapers attempt to Descend the mage's Sanctum" is not without precedent.

                          Having the character start at Gnosis 1 and not benefit from the resources of a Sect will help substantially with limiting the pace at which they gain abilities that can derail the story, although, again, communicating that you would prefer the player not derail the story in particular ways would be more effective.
                          Last edited by Satchel; 05-30-2022, 03:28 PM.


                          Resident Lore-Hound
                          Currently Consuming: Demon: the Descent 1e

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                            Knowing the limits of Awakened magic goes a long way — to use your example, sympathetic magic is spell-intensive and requires specific resources, and teleportation is not a simple trick to manage even at the lower level of "these two places are spatially connected," to say nothing of how most Moros will need to have personal practice with the relevant spells for them to not burn through their Mana in one sitting, and ghosts who stick around in the Underworld can communicate and trade. The Long-Term Nimbus of a Moros attracts the sort of phenomena for which "Reapers attempt to Descend the mage's Sanctum" is not without precedent.

                            Having the character start at Gnosis 1 and not benefit from the resources of a Sect will help substantially with limiting the pace at which they gain abilities that can derail the story, although, again, communicating that you would prefer the player not derail the story in particular ways would be more effective.

                            Thanks for the answer again, I spoke with my player and he decided to go with an obrimos instead of a moros, he started to make a basic concept for his character who will be a solitary mage with no sect affiliation in search of his dead brother's ghost, he will ask the krewe for their help in the endevour since he will know next to nothing about the underworld, this will help immensely since I will not have to worry about him stealing the spotlight from the other players (he is not the kind of guy to do it voluntarily but let's face it, it would have been inevitable with a moros).

                            I will have to brush up on my mage lore but It appears much more feasible now.

                            Comment


                            • The Dumb Supper Ceremony has a listed duration of five days, but the success text states that ghosts who partake of its effects do not need to spend Essence for three days. Should the duration entry be taken as a typo, or is it that the phantasmal feast created by the Ceremony lasts for five days until consumed?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
                                The Dumb Supper Ceremony has a listed duration of five days, but the success text states that ghosts who partake of its effects do not need to spend Essence for three days. Should the duration entry be taken as a typo, or is it that the phantasmal feast created by the Ceremony lasts for five days until consumed?
                                To me it seems that all of the 13 or less partecipants must be present while you perform the ceremony, and the feast must be consumed shortly after.
                                Probably the 5 days duration is a typo, but it s hard to say

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X