Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - Geist edition.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - Geist edition.

Hello everyone! I don't know if it's too soon for this kind of topic, but since I'm already working at starting a Geist 2e chronicle and I have questions... why not? Sooo... let's begin!

What actually happens mechanically when a geist gets a higher Rank? There are some things that I know are true: other than Rank being a Supernatural Tolerance trait, the geist is a Bane for ghosts with a Rank two steps lower and they can use more powerful Influence and increase even more their Attributes with Plasm when they gain Rank.

But... do the Attributes change by raising to the limits linked to that Rank? Should the Ban and the Ban be updated? Does their appearance change?

• Minty
    replied
    Makes sense to me, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Minty View Post
    The 4 dot Shroud power, Harrow, says that you can bring another person into Twilight with you, but if they resist you must grapple them first. The Shroud condition also says that it resolves if you "do something to draw significant attention to yourself (e.g. attack someone, scream loudly, use another Haunt)." Should I take this to mean that grappling doesn't count as drawing enough attention to resolve the condition, or how does this work?
    Despite grappling being mechanically an unarmed attack, I think it's safe to say "grab somebody" fills a sufficiently different narrative niche than "take a swing at somebody" for the purposes of a power that makes you work more like a ghost. You could still draw significant attention in the course of using the Enhancement's effect, but just grasping at a person you're pursuing while looking like an effects test for Ringu probably isn't going to terminate the Condition on its own.

Leave a comment:

• Minty
    replied
    The 4 dot Shroud power, Harrow, says that you can bring another person into Twilight with you, but if they resist you must grapple them first. The Shroud condition also says that it resolves if you "do something to draw significant attention to yourself (e.g. attack someone, scream loudly, use another Haunt)." Should I take this to mean that grappling doesn't count as drawing enough attention to resolve the condition, or how does this work?

Leave a comment:

• Seraph Kitty
    replied
    Originally posted by Emerick View Post
    Can a Ghost resolve an anchor created by the Forge anchor ceremony ? Could this ceremony by used to help a ghost pass on ?
    In the backer pdf of Geist 2E, page 189, it says that a ghost only has to be willing to let go of an Anchor to Resolve it. For most Anchors (their natural ones) this will require a lot of emotional processing and usually some kind of action from the Living, but for an artificially bound Anchor, they might only need to be ready and willing to give it up.

Although it would make for an interesting side effect / story hook that forging a new Anchor through a ceremony draws out or even creates new unresolved business and feelings associated to it - and that, like any other Anchor, it has to be resolved. None of the mechanics that I wash able to find require this, but I think it would be appropriate for the metaphysics, and a fair drawback to impose on such a powerful ceremony.

Leave a comment:

• thehallow1
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    "Mortals" tends to be shorthand for "characters who aren't supernatural beings," but in this particular case the most likely crossover-viable interpretation is that the outcome of the ceremony can only be seen by people who can see unmanifested ghosts.

Thank you - I was figuring only Sin-Eaters and others who can see unmanifested ghosts would win out, but I wanted to be sure before I sent the cheat sheet off.

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by thehallow1 View Post
    We're in a mixed genre game, our Sin-Eater took the Distant Vision ceremony. When I was writing up her cheat sheet for her I saw that it said "Only other Sin-Eaters can see this image, not mortals". Unlike other abilities the fact this specifies both Sin-Eaters and mortals confused me? Does this mean non-mortals (vampires and demons as an example) can all view the image?
    "Mortals" tends to be shorthand for "characters who aren't supernatural beings," but in this particular case the most likely crossover-viable interpretation is that the outcome of the ceremony can only be seen by people who can see unmanifested ghosts.

Leave a comment:

• thehallow1
    replied
    We're in a mixed genre game, our Sin-Eater took the Distant Vision ceremony. When I was writing up her cheat sheet for her I saw that it said "Only other Sin-Eaters can see this image, not mortals". Unlike other abilities the fact this specifies both Sin-Eaters and mortals confused me? Does this mean non-mortals (vampires and demons as an example) can all view the image?

Leave a comment:

• Emerick
    replied
    Can a Ghost resolve an anchor created by the Forge anchor ceremony ? Could this ceremony by used to help a ghost pass on ?

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    If a bound Geist gain a rank through rememberance or completing the Sin eater burden, does the Geist gains a new ban and bane and improve their abilities ?
    Per developer commentary, apparently not; the effects of higher honorary Rank to Sin-Eaters are pretty much confined to having a higher Rank for the purposes of counting as a bane to weaker ghosts, being able to draw upon higher levels of their Remembrance Traits, and having more dots in Influence: [Innate Keys] and a higher threshold for Down and Dirty Combat when Unleashing their geist.

Leave a comment:

• Emerick
    replied
    If a bound Geist gain a rank through rememberance or completing the Sin eater burden, does the Geist gains a new ban and bane and improve their abilities ?

Leave a comment:

• milo v3
    replied
    Where does the Bargain take place ? Since it's apparently a manisfestation and you have to be dying to take the bargain, do most bargain take place in the twilight/material world ? Or does your mind briefly go to the underwold where upon th actual bargain is made ?
    It's in twilight/mortal world, unless you were already in the underworld for some reason.

Leave a comment:

• Emerick
    replied
    Where does the Bargain take place ? Since it's apparently a manisfestation and you have to be dying to take the bargain, do most bargain take place in the twilight/material world ? Or does your mind briefly go to the underwold where upon th actual bargain is made ?

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Minty View Post
    Most of the effects of the Defiant Condition don't have any effect on lawbreakers in a Boneyard using The New Law as written. Is this intentional, or should we assume that instances of "Dominion" should be replaced with Boneyard and instances of "Kerberos" should be replaced with Creator when it's gained in response to The New Law?
    Probably the latter, for much the same reason that Tomb 3 making its Haunt Condition Persistent doesn't actually remove the time limit as-written.

Leave a comment:

• Minty
    replied
    Most of the effects of the Defiant Condition don't have any effect on lawbreakers in a Boneyard using The New Law as written. Is this intentional, or should we assume that instances of "Dominion" should be replaced with Boneyard and instances of "Kerberos" should be replaced with Creator when it's gained in response to The New Law?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X