Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - Geist edition.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - Geist edition.

Hello everyone! I don't know if it's too soon for this kind of topic, but since I'm already working at starting a Geist 2e chronicle and I have questions... why not? Sooo... let's begin!

What actually happens mechanically when a geist gets a higher Rank? There are some things that I know are true: other than Rank being a Supernatural Tolerance trait, the geist is a Bane for ghosts with a Rank two steps lower and they can use more powerful Influence and increase even more their Attributes with Plasm when they gain Rank.

But... do the Attributes change by raising to the limits linked to that Rank? Should the Ban and the Ban be updated? Does their appearance change?

• Ipergigio
    replied
    Originally posted by Tessie View Post

"​However, bound geists can (and often do) project an image of themselves in Twilight near their Sin-Eater. This projection is immaterial even to other beings in Twilight and in the Underworld, but ghosts and other Bound can see it."
    My bad, I was too lazy to check the corebook.

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    Originally posted by Caedus View Post
    When in the Underworld all Ghosts are Manifested right?...Are Bound Geists also manifested or is it just that variant of the twilight image thing they do in general and the geist is still tied to your body? Of course this is discounting unleashings.
    Originally posted by Ipergigio View Post
    Really good question, sadly the corebook isn't really clear about this. I woud like for the geists to be manifested and tangible just like the ghosts.
    "​However, bound geists can (and often do) project an image of themselves in Twilight near their Sin-Eater. This projection is immaterial even to other beings in Twilight and in the Underworld, but ghosts and other Bound can see it."

Leave a comment:

• Ipergigio
    replied
    When in the Underworld all Ghosts are Manifested right?...Are Bound Geists also manifested or is it just that variant of the twilight image thing they do in general and the geist is still tied to your body? Of course this is discounting unleashings.
    Really good question, sadly the corebook isn't really clear about this. I woud like for the geists to be manifested and tangible just like the ghosts.

Leave a comment:

• HelmsDerp
    replied
    Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
    Two questions that came to mind while swimming in the pool:

1. Can you resolve Flatlining by purchasing a dot of Synergy with (normal) Experiences?
    As Satchel said it's not a Resolution, but conditions can end without Resolving.

Leave a comment:

• Caedus
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
    1. Can you resolve Flatlining by purchasing a dot of Synergy with (normal) Experiences?
    "Gain a dot of Synergy" isn't one of the Resolution criteria, so no.

Leave a comment:

• espritdecalmar
    replied
    Two questions that came to mind while swimming in the pool:

2. Are the Ceremonies in Memento Mori only accessible to their associated Krewe Archetypes?

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    A question in regards to Mementos. Why does crafting a new memento cost a dot of syngery? Like if I do that and buy it with xp i will have ended up spending 8 xp on what normally would cost me 3. Or is there something I am missing here?
    You don't buy the Merit as well if you make it yourself.

It costs a dot of Synergy because a Memento functionally does or outdoes most of what a dot of Synergy does as far as Haunts are concerned.

Leave a comment:

• Caedus
    replied
    A question in regards to Mementos. Why does crafting a new memento cost a dot of syngery? Like if I do that and buy it with xp i will have ended up spending 8 xp on what normally would cost me 3. Or is there something I am missing here?

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Ipergigio View Post
    For curiosuty: The Breaved only seek for dead people, or even for living ones?
    Someone or something that died with or before them. The Burden has affinity for the Haunt that gives information about the dead and boosts attempts to track down ghosts in the Underworld for a reason.

Leave a comment:

• Ipergigio
    replied
    For curiosuty: The Breaved only seek for dead people, or even for living ones?
    Last edited by Ipergigio; 06-20-2021, 06:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Basilistik
    replied
    Thanks, this will make easier integrating playable ghosts. Is a small but good clue to base any ruling, thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• Seraph Kitty
    replied
    Huh. I double checked, and I couldn’t find anything to specify this either. The closest directions I found were in the Chronicles Core (pg 69) “the majority of actions in the game are instant actions” - a sentence not actually replicated in that section for Geist, but which I would interpret as “instant unless otherwise stated, or unless common sense leads to something else.”
    To help with the common sense part, Reflexive is defined as “takes no appreciable time or effort [...] you can take reflexive actions on other characters’ turns.” (GtS2, pg 146) - which I would say most Numina / influences / manifestations would not qualify for.

The other solid clue we have is on 305, causing the Open condition: “using a control influence allows a ghost to temporarily create the open condition as an instant action” - which is weirdly the only manifestation condition which specifies that; I didn’t see any numina clarify action type either.

I would believe the text is a little vague to give ST some latitude in tailoring powers to an entity, and to make rulings that fit best with the narrative. They are generally only used by NPCs, after all. But I can’t imagine the default assumption being anything other than these being Instant actions.

Leave a comment:

• Basilistik
    replied
    Is there any consensus on how Influence, Manifestations or Numina are categorized in terms of Turn actions? Are they reflexive or Instant actions? I always assumed they were instant, but I can't seem to find such description

Leave a comment:

Working...
X