Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - Geist edition.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - Geist edition.

Hello everyone! I don't know if it's too soon for this kind of topic, but since I'm already working at starting a Geist 2e chronicle and I have questions... why not? Sooo... let's begin!

What actually happens mechanically when a geist gets a higher Rank? There are some things that I know are true: other than Rank being a Supernatural Tolerance trait, the geist is a Bane for ghosts with a Rank two steps lower and they can use more powerful Influence and increase even more their Attributes with Plasm when they gain Rank.

But... do the Attributes change by raising to the limits linked to that Rank? Should the Ban and the Ban be updated? Does their appearance change?

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Nesky View Post
    I read the beats criteria and in: Chronicle of darkness, Werewolf, Demon, Changeling, Promethean take a beat If your character takes lethal damage in one of her rightmost Health boxes. In Vampire is the same but “do not gain Beats from bashing damage”. In Geist and Mage no, there’s a reason?
    Taking damage in one of your rightmost three Health boxes is already a crisis point trigger, which, as long as you don't exceptionally succeed on the intercession roll, gives you or your geist a Condition that can provide you with Synergy Beats. It would be redundant.

Also, just to correct, it's any damage for changelings or demons (as well as Beasts and hunters), not just lethal. Vampires, werewolves, Prometheans, and mummies all have a template-level relation to damage that makes "take bashing damage to the point a normal person would experience wound penalties" a comparatively trivial non-issue — vampires, Prometheans, and mummies can't fall unconscious from bashing damage; werewolves and mummies regenerate bashing damage rapidly; Prometheans don't suffer wound penalties; and vampires and mummies only take bashing damage from most sources of lethal damage.

Deviants similarly don't mention taking severe damage in their core list of Beat criteria, and that splat is 1) highly modular as well as 2) built around having a bunch of powers with drawbacks that give you Beats when they cause complications (including more than one option whose mechanical effects include "wound penalties are more trouble for you"). The option's there if you need it, but it's not necessarily an assumed part of the splat that a dramatic story about transformed people involves their getting beaten or shot half to death.

On the other end of things, mages don't have taking damage on their list, but instead have an entire secondary experience type that can be spent solely on developing their powers, which themselves can be (and are explicitly suggested to be) used to give themselves Conditions, and the archetype of "wizard" isn't one for which being severely wounded is really encouraged.
    Last edited by Satchel; 07-26-2022, 05:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Newb95
    replied
    I read the beats criteria and in: Chronicle of darkness, Werewolf, Demon, Changeling, Promethean take a beat If your character takes lethal damage in one of her rightmost Health boxes. In Vampire is the same but “do not gain Beats from bashing damage”. In Geist and Mage no, there’s a reason?

Most likely balance, sin eaters and mages have a lot more ways to gain beats compared to the other splats, geists using their keys gain doom conditions that can be resolved and regained multiple times in a session, they also have synergy and krewe beats that help with developing faster, mages can similarly give themself conditions to farm beats.

Leave a comment:

• Nesky
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    They handle ghosts the way Sin-Eaters handle ghosts. Their social role in emerging Sin-Eater society is the flipside of the Necropolitans — their big-picture focus includes running damage control on public manifestations of ghostly trouble and the impact the resulting stories might have on the Underworld, which means making sure that ghosts exploding out of the walls of a haunted house is not at the forefront of people's minds re: what comes after death, which in turn means taking steps to ensure ghosts are not likely to do that (most reliably by preventing ghosts from being formed, but finding new ghosts early is the second best thing).

Furies can handle ghosts that aren't specifically victims of injustice and Mourners can tackle ghosts that don't have secrets and traditions to pass down, and Pilgrims don't have a monopoly on persuading the restless dead to let go. You handle ghosts by handling ghosts, regardless of what your krewe's archetype is. Undertakers are liable to be a little more conscious of how the process will be remembered, but otherwise they have the same tools as everybody else does.

Undertakers handle ghosts as a group of people whose interactions with the living and the Bound shape the Underworld through the themes reflected by the narrative they tell the world about Death. Look to the material on Uncanny Tableaux on page 208-209 for the sort of things Undertakers might be specifically aiming for when they help a ghost move on.
    I do always seem to forget that these kinda things aren't so narrow minded.

So Undertakers, when dealing with the dead directly instead of indirectly through living, use a method helping ghosts by showing/making a better way for them to interact with the living. That way they can influence not only the passing of that ghost, but also have an effect on the underpinnings of the Underworld, especially through dead dominions and tableauxs? I think I'm understanding it better, and I do mean this in an Archtypal way, I am going to keep in better mind that Archetype does not mean "intensely narrow focus"

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
    How do Undertaker krewes handle ghosts in general? From their write up, I get that they want to change the metaphysical makeup of the Underworld through changing humanities perspective in death through mythic storytelling, but I have no idea how they deal with ghosts. The Burden write ups seem to imply they make them go through their anchors and such, but I thought that was a pilgrim thing in terms of focus?

I really like the archetype conceptually, as them dealing with the living and trying to change their views on death in order to simply stop ghosts from forming is awesome, but I just have so much of a struggle visualizing one for a player campaign. They seem more like an NPC krewe at times
    They handle ghosts the way Sin-Eaters handle ghosts. Their social role in emerging Sin-Eater society is the flipside of the Necropolitans — their big-picture focus includes running damage control on public manifestations of ghostly trouble and the impact the resulting stories might have on the Underworld, which means making sure that ghosts exploding out of the walls of a haunted house is not at the forefront of people's minds re: what comes after death, which in turn means taking steps to ensure ghosts are not likely to do that (most reliably by preventing ghosts from being formed, but finding new ghosts early is the second best thing).

Furies can handle ghosts that aren't specifically victims of injustice and Mourners can tackle ghosts that don't have secrets and traditions to pass down, and Pilgrims don't have a monopoly on persuading the restless dead to let go. You handle ghosts by handling ghosts, regardless of what your krewe's archetype is. Undertakers are liable to be a little more conscious of how the process will be remembered, but otherwise they have the same tools as everybody else does.

Undertakers handle ghosts as a group of people whose interactions with the living and the Bound shape the Underworld through the themes reflected by the narrative they tell the world about Death. Look to the material on Uncanny Tableaux on page 208-209 for the sort of things Undertakers might be specifically aiming for when they help a ghost move on.

Leave a comment:

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    How do Undertaker krewes handle ghosts in general? From their write up, I get that they want to change the metaphysical makeup of the Underworld through changing humanities perspective in death through mythic storytelling, but I have no idea how they deal with ghosts. The Burden write ups seem to imply they make them go through their anchors and such, but I thought that was a pilgrim thing in terms of focus?

I really like the archetype conceptually, as them dealing with the living and trying to change their views on death in order to simply stop ghosts from forming is awesome, but I just have so much of a struggle visualizing one for a player campaign. They seem more like an NPC krewe at times

Leave a comment:

• espritdecalmar
    replied
    Ok, so you confirm me that the Doom Condition is the only situation that interfere to the use of given key?
    Outside extraordinary circumstances, yes, that is correct.

Leave a comment:

• Nesky
    replied
    Ok, so you confirm me that the Doom Condition is the only situation that interfere to the use of given key?

Leave a comment:

• espritdecalmar
    replied
    If I use a Key to unlock an Haunt, I can use the same Key to unlock another Haunt (in another round) or the key are blocked until the end of the Haunt?
    You can't use a given Key again until you resolve its associated Doom Condition.

Leave a comment:

• Nesky
    replied
    If I use a Key to unlock an Haunt, I can use the same Key to unlock another Haunt (in another round) or the key are blocked until the end of the Haunt?

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Neos01 View Post
    Do you think that a bound Geist has its own set of senses or he perceives the world only with its bound senses?
    One of my player wants to use his Geist as a sentinel while he sleeps and i don t know if it is possible
    The latter. The geist functionally does not exist in the world while it's not Unleashed or powering a Haunt; its ability to project an image doesn't give you the ability to get information you couldn't get or infer yourself (Remembrance Traits notwithstanding).

You can play a little bit fast and loose with unconscious shared awareness of your surroundings, but if you're dead to the world for the usual eightish hours a night your geist is not going to be able to help you notice threats in any way more concrete than the equivalent of your being a light sleeper.

Leave a comment:

• Niknokk
    replied
    Thanks folks, it was bothering me that it wasn't spelled out.

Originally posted by Neos01 View Post
    Do you think that a bound Geist has its own set of senses or he perceives the world only with its bound senses?
    One of my player wants to use his Geist as a sentinel while he sleeps and i don t know if it is possible
    I couldn't find a reference to ghosts or Geists sleeping, and I remember references to Geists wandering around on their own, from time to time, and at least acting like they have their own senses and perspectives. I don't think there's any problem with using a Geist as a sentinel, assuming it's willing to do that.

Leave a comment:

• Neos01
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    The absolute nightmare for a Bound is a city that has been torn down by fire or war, and then rebuilt. The ghost buildings will make navigating some areas impossible as doors and walls won't line up.

But especially bad are buildings that have been razed just for a street to be laid on that ground. A frontal collision is bad enough when (the front of) the car is between you and the wall to soften the blow. When the car doesn't interact with the wall, you're basically strapped to the tip of a rocket aimed right at that wall.

The latter example is probably more common, because individual houses are more easily remembered by their previous occupants.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X