Haunts and Numina

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunts and Numina

So: Haunts are something unique to Sin-Eaters, sort of. They work due to the hybrid nature of the Bound's “soul”; and ghosts, lacking such, don't have access to them.

On the other hand, Haunts are inspired by ghostly phenomena from various ghost stories; so it's reasonable to assume that most Haunts have counterparts among the ghostly Numina. So: what are they?

Haunts: Boneyard, Caul, Curse, Dirge, Marionette, Memoria, Oracle, Rage, Shroud, Tomb.

Caul and Shroud are especially dependent on the dual nature of the Bound; as well, Shroud is basically “I become ghost-like, and eventually can attain a Twilight state and use Manifestations”. I'm not 100% sure; but I think that there's little if anything in terms of Numina where those two Haunts are concerned.

But that still leaves Boneyard, Curse, Dirge, Marionette, Memorial, Oracle, Rage, and Tomb.

Numina: Anchor Jump, Awe, Blast, Descend, Drain, Emotional Aura, Empower Ghost, Engulf, Firestarter, Hallucination, Host Jump, Implant Mission, Innocuous, Left-Handed Spanner, Moliate, Omen Trance, Pathfinder, Proxy, Puppeteer, Rapture, Regenerate, Seek, Speed, Sign, Stalwart, Telekinesis.

Note that a few of these are limited to high-Rank ghosts, and as such probably aren't a factor here. Empower Ghost, for instance, is a Kerberos Numen that's unlikely to be seen in the living world.

Work calls, so I'll have to leave it here for now. Thoughts?

I'd argue that Manifestations should be included in this list as the other Ghostly Power Set. I don't have the list of those in front of me atm. But I actually see some metaphysical parallels between some aspects of The Caul and the manifestation The Bargain .

EDIT:
    OK so the Manifestations in the manuscript are:
    Twilight form, Avernian Gateway, Bargain, Claim, Descend, Discorperate, Fetter, Image, Materialize, Possess, Unfetter.

Quick side note: I don't really get the difference between Numina and Manifestations. I get that Manifestations are for the interaction beyond Twilight and that certain Manifestation conditions need to be present. But not all manifestations require a manifestation condition and there are plenty of Numina that also effect things beyond Twilight.
    Last edited by xiongrey; 08-10-2018, 01:21 PM.

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

Well, Rage is definitely Blast.

I'd say Shroud would be related to manifestation related, specifically Discorporate and Avernian Gate. Innocuous could fit as a numina related.

Caul too has echoes of Moliate.

Boneyard I'd see related to Seek, Pathfinder, maybe Speed. Anchor jump. Maybe Telekinesis.

Marionette would be Host Jump, Telekinesis, Left Handed Spanner, Implant Mission.

Dirge and Memoriam have Emotional Aura, Implant Mission, Rapture, and Sign. Memoriam includes Omen Trance as well.

Comment

Originally posted by xiongrey View Post
        I'd argue that Manifestations should be included in this list as the other Ghostly Power Set. I don't have the list of those in front of me atm. But I actually see some metaphysical parallels between some aspects of The Caul and the manifestation The Bargain .

EDIT:
        OK so the Manifestations in the manuscript are:
        Twilight form, Avernian Gateway, Bargain, Claim, Descend, Discorperate, Fetter, Image, Materialize, Possess, Unfetter.

Quick side note: I don't really get the difference between Numina and Manifestations. I get that Manifestations are for the interaction beyond Twilight and that certain Manifestation conditions need to be present. But not all manifestations require a manifestation condition and there are plenty of Numina that also effect things beyond Twilight.
        Descend is a Numina, but was a Manifestation. The manuscript still retains it listed as a Manifestation, but that is a mistake.

Manifestations interact with Manifestation Conditions. Numina don't. That's basically it.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Working...
        X