Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Venom ( and other Marvel Symbiotes ) as Geist inspiration?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venom ( and other Marvel Symbiotes ) as Geist inspiration?

So when thinking about Geist 2E I watched latest Venom trailer - and it hit me. Is not Marvel Symbiotes - Venom, Carnage and rest - known widely as Klyntar race - relations with their hosts works as great parallel to Geist-Bound dynamic? Geists are, in the end, alien forces of Death that are only passingly with human traits. Most of the time they are alien beings, having great power, that host need to Synergy to success, yes?

See the trailer for more Symbiote-Host dynamics that could be Giest-Bound one, with Eddie being Bound and Venom being Geist.

LGBT+ in CoD games
    Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
    Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
    Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
    My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

I would say they would fit a deviants if they have symbiotes (and by the way that trailer gave me faith in the movie, the comics should make venom (the creature) back to being more his own person again.

Anyway, i fail to see how they are like geist, sure they fuse with you and can cure cancer, but they aren't really involved with death itself, only the act of killing

EDIT: My geist knowledge is limited, so don't be surprised if see how ignorant my post is or how easily you can prove me wrong

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
      Geists are, in the end, alien forces of Death that are only passingly with human traits. Most of the time they are alien beings, having great power, that host need to Synergy to success, yes?
      More like in the beginning. In the end geists are non-human people the Bound either works with or enslaves.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

While I wouldn’t compare them too closely, having just seen the movie I would very much take inspiration from how Eddie and the Symbiote converse with each other as a way to portray how a new Bound and Geist May act towards each other

Comment

Having said that, watching Venom a second time and giving Todd McFarlane’s other works another glance, something occurred to me that honestly surprised me that no one else brought up, concerning this topic.

While I still agree that Symbiotes aren’t an accurate comparison for Geister, there is another , greatly overlooked and under-appreciated and to my knowledge unfinished series that is a perfect source of inspiration for Geist; Haunt.

For those of you who are like “ Koro, what the fuck are you talking about?”, well I’m glad you asked! A few years ago Todd McFarlane worked to create a comic series that was sort of interesting blend of Venom and Spawn called Haunt; which followed the ordeals of a faithless, mildly psychic Priest who due to a near death experience sees himself tethered to the ghost of his dead brother.

Like many other protagonists drawn/ written by McFarlane, the two brothers have a symbiotic link to each other, and when they are in full accord they can merge together to form the ghostly entity called haunt, who possesses a very Symbiote/ Necroplasm suit combat form made of ectoplasm.

Long story short, Haunt is basically a ghost Symbiote that follows many similar tropes to Venom, and his powers are very similar to the Haunts of second ed, especially the Caul, Shroud, and Rage. I very strongly recommend giving Haunt a read if anyone wants to base a Geist off of Venom

Comment

Why does mcfarline write lots of characters that are symbioties?

Comment

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
              Why does mcfarline write lots of characters that are symbioties?
              He likes the interplay?

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post

He likes the interplay?
                To the point of obsessiveness

Comment

It gives a lone protagonist someone to argue with.

The Venom of the comic might be a little more geist-like in that he has unresolved issues with things in the world (ongoing attempt at a one-sided codependence with Spider-Man). A geist who started out as a doppelganger to someone who's since moved on from where they were when they had their near death experience, and can't stand that - eventually drinks from a river, becomes a geist, and Bargain with someone all in a convoluted attempt to reach their living counterpart and get them back "on track" - there's some similarity to Venom there.

Comment

Working...
                  X