haunts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• haunts?

Hey anyone having read through the geist second ed stuff how different are the haunts from the old manifestations system? Like i looooved the powers in first ed Geist, i hope they are as versatile this time around.

Haunts are standardized and can be used without a Key, while Keys mainly boost the activation rolls, grant you some free plasm, and make the power more likely to roll an exceptional success in certain circumstances, with the cost of a Condition that needs to be resolved in order to use that Key from that source more than once per story.

They're definitely still broadly applicable in their basic form, though.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

awww that takes some of the fun out of it, but i will not judge preemptively

Comment

I can't seem to find in the book if there's a create-your-own spells for Haunts in Geist 2e, something like Creative Thautmaurgy from Mage the Awakening 2e. It would be nice to have more options to use more powers and spells.

Comment

Originally posted by OvercastGhost View Post
          I can't seem to find in the book if there's a create-your-own spells for Haunts in Geist 2e, something like Creative Thautmaurgy from Mage the Awakening 2e. It would be nice to have more options to use more powers and spells.
          There are going to be more Haunts in Memento Mori, and it may not be out of spec for Design-Your-Own-Haunts to come up in a future Storyteller's Guide, but like with anything that isn't Mage (and to a lesser extent, Demon), it's worth remembering that the powers of most splats primarily need a "this is what it is and this is what it isn't" sort of approach rather than "here's how to inevitably do anything" sort of approach.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
          Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Ceremonies though could be the better source for 'create your own', kind of like Threnodies and Blood Sorcery in V:tR.

Comment

Originally posted by Scutarii View Post
              Ceremonies though could be the better source for 'create your own', kind of like Threnodies and Blood Sorcery in V:tR.
              Doesn't Ceremonies take time, something like in MtA with Ritual Casting?

Comment

By default they take 15 minutes per dot, so it takes time, but nowhere near ritual casting. They do get bonuses if you change it to "an hour per dot" or "a day per dot" though.

Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

Comment

Yeah they do. Technically though all Spellcasting in Mage 2e is Ritual Casting and requires Reach to make it instant.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                    There are going to be more Haunts in Memento Mori, and it may not be out of spec for Design-Your-Own-Haunts to come up in a future Storyteller's Guide, but like with anything that isn't Mage (and to a lesser extent, Demon), it's worth remembering that the powers of most splats primarily need a "this is what it is and this is what it isn't" sort of approach rather than "here's how to inevitably do anything" sort of approach.
                    Would it be out of the question to expect additional standardized haunts beyond Memento Mori if it couldn't make the wordcount for that book? Or would stuff like Player's Guide, Storytellers Guide, Night Horrors and the Jumpstart be for reserved for smaller things like Ceremonies, Mementos or Keys (like the Contagion Key)?

Additionally, with the new Haunts coming, would they be assigned to Burdens like the core Haunts in Geist 2e, or more of a generalized flat cost for all bound that may or may not be purchasable at character creation?
                    Last edited by Runcible; 04-21-2019, 11:55 AM.

Comment

First off, Ceremonies are not smaller things. You can control cities with Ceremonies. You can scar the Underworld with Ceremonies. Ceremonies are your workshop for big guns or personalized tools.

That aside, it's not unreasonable to assume that there won't be more Haunts in the Player's Guide, and if a character needs a whole new Haunt set in Night Horrors, well, the writer had better be punchy with their character but could reasonably sneak one in. And it wouldn't be out of spec for an the ST Guide to include a How To for them. That said, Ceremonies, Regalia, Mementos aren't going to be forgotten. Keys are a little...harder to work out where they're gonna go, but I also can't see them not having space(realistically though, I think the keys would expand in terms of what they could do rather than just shoving in new ones, and if there are new ones they'd probably extensions from the nine/ten we have now).

This is all speculation, mind you-but I think pretty reasonable speculation on my part.

As for the Haunts in Memento Mori, Sure, I can tell you that Haunts are [REDACTED], [REDACTED], REDACTED], and great for hooking up with goats.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

Oh whoops, didn't mean to include ceremonies on that list, they are mighty powerful and versatile. I recall Travis mentioning Bound bargained with multiple geists at a time and Bound bargained with cthonians being something that would be to be explored in supplement books after the core was out. If that's still the case I can only imagine that if the latter is a night horrors book potential scenario it might have a big enough punch for such a haunt. :P

New Keys I'm hoping for would be the return of the Industrial, and perhaps implementation of a Thunderstruck/Electric-Chair Key and a Curtain Call/Memory/Time Key.

I'm sure my players are totally for hooking up with goats if they can add them to their krewe.

Comment

[REDACTED], still one hell of a drug.

(And to be clear, that is a running gag. I have no idea what Arc's [REACTED]s are, nor do I know if they involve psychoactive substances, illicit or otherwise)

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                            [REDACTED], still one hell of a drug.

(And to be clear, that is a running gag. I have no idea what Arc's [REACTED]s are, nor do I know if they involve psychoactive substances, illicit or otherwise)
                            There's [REDACTED], and then there's [REDACTED] [REDACTED].

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                              There's [REDACTED], and then there's [REDACTED] [REDACTED].
                              XD

Anyhow, more back on topic, I was a big fan of 1e's Haunts as well, but 2e's system is much more elegant and easier to wrap your head around. While Keys don't flavour the Haunt as strongly, resonance + creativity should achieve some pretty fun effects. Totally worth the tradeoff in my mind.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Working...
                              X