Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post

XD

Anyhow, more back on topic, I was a big fan of 1e's Haunts as well, but 2e's system is much more elegant and easier to wrap your head around. While Keys don't flavour the Haunt as strongly, resonance + creativity should achieve some pretty fun effects. Totally worth the tradeoff in my mind.
    Yeah, as much as I miss the interactivity between Key and Manifestation, the Haunts as they are is just so on point and potent with the evocative and usefulness of effects that I can't miss Manifestations really. I do want to see more done with Keys (depending on how life goes on in the next few months, you might reasonably expect to see Keys in Ceremonies as bonus material for Memento Mori) and find ways to get a lot of ghostly weirdness done with them, but as is, I'm happy with how Haunts turned out.

My favorite is Dirge, though really I just dig the Kindly's entire power set.
    Last edited by ArcaneArts; 04-22-2019, 02:35 AM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post

XD

Anyhow, more back on topic, I was a big fan of 1e's Haunts as well, but 2e's system is much more elegant and easier to wrap your head around. While Keys don't flavour the Haunt as strongly, resonance + creativity should achieve some pretty fun effects. Totally worth the tradeoff in my mind.

Ehh i mean in first edition the manifestations and keys gave you almost the same level of potential creativity as mage the ascension so i hope the new system can compete with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Caedus View Post
        Ehh i mean in first edition the manifestations and keys gave you almost the same level of potential creativity as mage the ascension
        In 1e the combinatorial explosion of how the elements interacted meant making a new Key or Manifestation for a single player character to use required you to come up with, at minimum, six unique effects. 2e has the advantage of not needing to stat out every possible pairing just to introduce one new power or power-lens.

Resident Lore-Hound
        Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

I definitely agree that the 1e Manifestation was amazing and flavorful and way too complicated. While it made my npc sineaters like Mister Freeze and El Diablo feel so unique and easy to design, it was way too complicated to do the whole row and column approach.

Appropriately, I mourn the evocative feel they brought to every Bound, much as i mourn how evocative the Theshholds were. While the keys still have a bit of that threshold vibe, I haven't been able to fully fall in love with the new x splat.

I will say, however, Haunts really made it easier to design my npcs. Mister Freeze needed so many Keys that it got silly. This system really works well in not explaining how he got so much XP to give him the powers I needed him to have. His Key also makes it very ironic (instead of being forced to live in a refrigeration suit, he goes around shirtless and freeballin cuz Conditions) and flavorful still.

Likewise, the next few Bound I made were a lot less difficult to design due to the complications. So Diablo has Rage and Caul with the Pyreflame key and Blood key. Likewise, my non-dc based Sineater major box, the Fisherman (leader of a huge krewe based on the wood Wealth Fishers, super Christians trying to survive the mental shock of the Underworld) would have been a nightmare designing in 1e. In 2e, I tossed on Memoria and Tomb and called it a day, and haven't even figured out his Keys yet because Npc.

The new system is elegant and streamlined. I love that they kept the best powers of each Manifestation per key and made them the default power.

What I WOULD love to see in a future supplement is a sort of.. Devotion/interlock style system where optionally a specific key + specific haunt has a specific effect, even if said powers were homebrewed and perhaps tailored to each character by the player and storyteller.

Comment

Burdens beat Thresholds easily, I wanna say that. Not only do they provide a personal answer to the question of "What do I do?", but they're stronger emotional cores on the whole and way more evocative of being a ghost with a second chance.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
            Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
              Burdens beat Thresholds easily, I wanna say that. Not only do they provide a personal answer to the question of "What do I do?", but they're stronger emotional cores on the whole and way more evocative of being a ghost with a second chance.
              I agree with you wholly on a theoretical level. It may come from the fact that I had 1e box sineaters based on premise dc characters, but it really took me time to see what they'd evolve into in 2e.

Though, that being said, I can agree with you on a level. Mister Freeze was strongly defined by his Archetype and his Key, but I just love the feel of Thresholds versus keys. It took me a long time to really feel one out for him. His wife was a ghost and he lingered for her, trying to keep their romance alive, and he was a solid Forgotten (dying in that lab accident) and Bonepicker (He wanted to get enough money and magic to let his wife and him live or die happily ever after).
              But on the other hand, the new build, as hard as it was at first to stomach, did create an amazing story twist. The Keys, Haunts, and Geist mechanics do make for better stories, I agree. It was jarring, and I still haven't fully gotten as in tune with Burdens as I have other X splats (I usually am all about them).

However, I was pleasantly surprised when every time I decided on a Burden, I found the haunts PERFECT. the Burden may be hard to fit, but once you do... the haunts are PERFECT.

I always wanted Mr. Freeze to be a mystery to the pcs, in whether he was a ghost. His urban legend was indeed that he died and all these "cryogenically still alive" haunted a defunct facility. So I had to invest heavily into the Shroud.

As one could expect, Mr. Freeze is Bereaved of his frozen wife Nora, and low and behold, not only was Shroud one of its Haunts, but all the powers I wanted from it were streamlined perfectly, and his Keys just flavoured it. I love the new Haunt system, would love to see a devotion/specialty system someday. Not sure about Burdens, but ironically I've never converted a character to a Burden without ending up with the right Haunts. All the Haunts are just amazingly thoughtful, ghostly, and thankfully not merged.

P.s. as an aside.. Mr Freeze isn't actually legally or literally married to Nora. Nora was an unknown medical patient in the very much not effectual cryolife projects. She died when they put her under, and evolved into the Geist she is today. Her name isn't Nora. Victor doesn't know her, but he loved her body and soul. So when the lab accident and Victor froze to death... she came to him, bound to him. Husband and wife and strangers. He is Bereaved, and damn the new Shroud haunt is tasty if you want people to think a Bound is a real ghost.

Comment

Working...
              X