Krewes in 2e

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krewes in 2e

I've only had a brief glance at the new 2e pdf, so there may be something I'm missing, but am I correct in thinking that krewes and archetypes been combined so they function more like covenants, tribes, courts, etc? Is it now possible for a group of characters to include sin eaters from different krewes/archetypes, or do they still all have to be the same?
    Last edited by Shadowdragon; 04-26-2019, 07:09 AM.

Official answer from Kickstarter previews is that Each One Krewe is made only from One Archetype. We dive into small hack of having multiple Archetypes in one Krewe in this topic.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-26-2019, 08:31 PM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Dive, not dwell.

ANYWAYS, being more on point, the fundamental structure of Sin-Eater Society is now Krewes, and they are most like Packs from Uratha in that way. However, it is correct that the Y-splat now indicates, essentially, the nature of your krewe, a broad direction that your Krewe follows-a Krewe Archetype. By and large, they break up down on how you think the dead should be dealt with and and what the endgame of reality concerning the quick and the dead should look like.

It is generally assumed that Players groups are going to be from the same krewe and therefore are of the same archetype, with several mechanical incentives to do so. THe most common way to have a "krewe" of different archetypes is to essentially have an inter-faith parlay/ambassadorial role with one another, where in each character has the backing of a krewe of their own but operate together to create a stable political situation with other krewes. A Krewe that tries to be multiple archetypes while actually being one coherent unit unto itself is going to backfire, since basically the archetypes disagree enough on prioritizations, means, and goals that it's basically just going to be a lot of infighting, and the mechanics won't support you as one unit.

While limited by the overall power of the Krewe, the most accurate way to assume a Sub-Y splat would be Regalia, which should break down the archetypes into the distinctive roles at play within the krewe-a Fury Krewe might, for instance, have somone as Judge, someone as Jury, and someone as Executioner. No word on how far that goes down the line, but I can at least say I wrote my chapter on the subject that way.

From a game design point, this actually works out really well. It gets every player on the same page and creates some measure by which they all inherently go together, while also being broad enough that you have lots of ways to incarnate your particular krewe specifically, and allow for inner-krewe politics. It's solid anchoring and game direction without being too restrictive. Try it out!

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

I don't see archetypes as any different from covenants, tribes, or courts. Vampire, Werewolf, and Changeling all seem to work ok even though they allow mixed groups of characters. Werewolf and Changeling even allow you to make packs/motleys that include members of different tribes/courts. Why is Geist so different? I mean, I don't think I've ever had a group of players that would all agree to play a single archetype. It would be like trying to run a vampire game where all the characters were part of the same covenant, or a werewolf game where everyone was part of the same tribe. Not only is it really unfair to the players, but it sounds completely unfun from a keeper viewpoint. Have to say, I'm really disappointed they decided to go that way with Geist. I'll look into the multi-archetype crew house rules and see how they're shaping up, or I may just ignore the whole krewe thing entirely.
        Last edited by Shadowdragon; 04-26-2019, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
          Official answer from Kickstarter previews is that Each One Krewe is made only from One Archetype. We dwell into small hack of having multiple Archetypes in one Krewe in this topic.

Yea, I posted in that thread, the end of page 2 The actual pdf of Geist 2e was recently released to kickstarter backers. It seems to handle archetypes and crews slightly differently than the preview documents, I just wasn't sure how differently. I'll have to go back and re-read them properly, but it looked like Krewes had been merged with Archetypes and "group of character krewes" were being handled in a different way, but I guess I might be wrong, which is a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowdragon View Post
            I don't see archetypes as any different from covenants, tribes, or courts. Vampire, Werewolf, and Changeling all seem to work ok even though they allow mixed groups of characters. Werewolf and Changeling even allow you to make packs/motleys that include members of different tribes/courts. Why is Geist so different? I mean, I don't think I've ever had a group of players that would all agree to play a single archetype.
            To repeat the things I said in that thread:

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
            These are not global organizations with the numbers to allow their focus to be split between wildly varying long-term goals, they are a couple dozen people, some of whom are dead, and that means the shared character of "your Sin-Eaters' krewe" is a coherent entity with beliefs and aspirations.
            A Sin-Eater krewe is defined by its goals and methods of operation. You don't start a charity and then start asking why it doesn't offer more direct support for its constituents acting as a vigilante death-squad. They're Mystery Cults whose founding membership includes Sin-Eaters who are on the same page about what's important in the grand scheme of things re: ghosts and the Underworld.

The Werewolf analogue there is "we hunted Red-Horned Stag to be our totem because we wanted to create a pack that keeps off-season hunters from spoiling the resonance of the woods," not "we all follow Black Wolf." The Vampire analogue is "we all get together twice a month to figure out what we're telling the rest of the city we want for the Rack because we happen to hold assets that make that a viable course of and we can play nice with each other for long enough to get our respective cuts of the pie," not "we're all Carthians and collective bargaining is awesome." The Changeling analogue is "we all swore an oath to bind our fates because we weren't going to let our Keepers take us back without a fight," not "we all belong to Summer." I could go on.
            Krewe Archetypes aren't "your krewe deals with the ghosts of homeless people," they're "your krewe deals with seeking justice for the dead" or "your krewe deals with altering the place of the dead in society" or "your krewe deals with the things that ghosts tend to form around." Particulars like how to deal with the homeless is the domain of Doctrines, which can and will change over the course of play as your characters' fledgeling religious institution grows, adapts, and sheds splinter factions. None of this is "PCs are limited to one specific focus."

Resident Lore-Hound
            Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Okay kid, have fun.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
              Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Working...
              X