Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[2E] Hungry Underworld – Is there more ghosts than living?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] Hungry Underworld – Is there more ghosts than living?

I just dreamed this topic into being. We know that in 2E, Underworld is 'hungry'. It literally devours ghosts over millenia. Question is simple - How quick is Underworld in this process? Are in it ghosts from thousands years before? Is there more ghosts than total population of whole Earth on the same time?

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    I just dreamed this topic into being. We know that in 2E, Underworld is 'hungry'. It literally devours ghosts over millenia. Question is simple - How quick is Underworld in this process? Are in it ghosts from thousands years before? Is there more ghosts than total population of whole Earth on the same time?
    Again, the answer by and large depends on what sort of game you want to play, BUT

Probably?

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

The question at the heart of this is: what does the essence economy of the underworld look like? The underworld traps ghosts in the walls when they can no longer spend essence to stave it off; the other dangers like the ocean of fragments are more avoidable. So deciding how much Essence flows into the underworld and how various specters manage that resource will determine how many and how quickly ghosts get consumed.

The way I imagine this, from my reading of the mechanics, is that ghosts in the underworld mostly get essence from being remembered by the living and from consuming Castoffs on the banks of the rivers. How many Castoffs are formed is highly subjective, as people have to miss the object when it’s destroyed, but since they usually don’t have anchors, most would get dragged Below pretty immediately. I estimate a Castoff might have 1 essence per Size for ghosts to scavenge.

Keeping these mechanics in mind helps (me at least) imagine the geography and society of the underworld (at least in the upper reaches) full of scavenging and predation. Small, stable river towns seem pretty likely, depending on population density, but a single ghost on their own could easily be consumed within weeks.

If I was better at math and programming, I would design something to help visualize the essence economy, just for my own reference... I’ve wanted something like that for ghosts and spirits for a while now.

Second Chance for
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_709_1572548741915_354[/ATTACH]
      A Beautiful Madness

Comment

Originally posted by Seraph Kitty View Post
        If I was better at math and programming, I would design something to help visualize the essence economy, just for my own reference... I’ve wanted something like that for ghosts and spirits for a while now.
        These are the equations you want, have fun.

[edit]Just throwing the equations at you is kind of mean, if you have any questions on how to model, let me know.
        Last edited by proindrakenzol; 05-09-2019, 06:51 PM.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

Working...
        X