Book of the Dead and 2e

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book of the Dead and 2e

So my players are probably going to the Underworld next session. I was thinking about studying up on the Underworld with the Book of the Dead but wanted to know how much has changed between editions before I commit to it. Anyone more familiar willing to explain what has changed?

Bits of the stuff from Book of the Dead can be transplanted without much issue, but the fact remains that the Upper Reaches work differently, crossing the Rivers works differently, gaining ghostly sustenance from the environment works differently, there's no age-based call to move deeper, there's an appreciable number of communities among the sunken dead, and the Underworld as a whole is now explicitly a hostile environment to the living and the dead alike in ways that First Edition pretty much only gestured at as the consequences of long isolation in a subterranean limbo.

The Cliff's Notes breakdown of 2e's Underworld is covered in this post from the development blog last year.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

If you backed Geist 2e and have the advance PDF from that, I'd recommend reading the entries on the Underworld there and not bother with Book of the Dead. Then you'll get great descriptions and all the missing mechanical parts from all that Satchel described and linked to.

Alternatively, if you don't mind mixing editions you could just run the Underworld as it was in first edition, in which case Book of the Dead would be a great resource. I'd honestly recommend if you don't have access to Geist 2e, as that's the only major source of descriptions and rules for the 2e Underworld.

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
        If you backed Geist 2e and have the advance PDF from that, I'd recommend reading the entries on the Underworld there and not bother with Book of the Dead. Then you'll get great descriptions and all the missing mechanical parts from all that Satchel described and linked to.

Alternatively, if you don't mind mixing editions you could just run the Underworld as it was in first edition, in which case Book of the Dead would be a great resource. I'd honestly recommend if you don't have access to Geist 2e, as that's the only major source of descriptions and rules for the 2e Underworld.
        That’s cool. Yeah I’m running a Geist/Mage crossover game so I have the 2e .pdf. Sounds like I could probably just use the information from that.

Comment

Working...
        X