On "The Tomb" Haunt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On "The Tomb" Haunt

The description text of The Tomb mentions using it to heal the wounded, or to recreate lost limbs, but no rules for these are given in the book. Has anyone homebrewed this, or is it written off as an editing artifact?

Final print's still in indexing as of yesterday's Monday Meeting Notes, which suggests to me that this is the kind of question it would be wise to save until after the errata'd version of the book is out.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Ah, so it is. Nevermind, then.

Comment

Is this still not accounted for? I'm starting playing a Contagion Chronicle campaign soon and my character has this Haunt at 2, so I'd really like to know how that part of it would work.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Kaninchen View Post
          Is this still not accounted for? I'm starting playing a Contagion Chronicle campaign soon and my character has this Haunt at 2, so I'd really like to know how that part of it would work.
          Looking at my final copy shows no mention of healing the wounded or recreating lost limbs. I'd have to dig into my backup hard-drive to get the pre-errata version of the PDF to compare, but I'm pretty sure that means it's accounted for as "it's not a thing."

Resident Lore-Hound
          Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
            Looking at my final copy shows no mention of healing the wounded or recreating lost limbs. I'd have to dig into my backup hard-drive to get the pre-errata version of the PDF to compare, but I'm pretty sure that means it's accounted for as "it's not a thing."
            Yeah, I get the same from the final copy my friend who owns it sent me (I had an old copy he got way back when). Kinda sad about that, actually. Wish there was a mechanic for something like alternative levels of Haunts, or derived Haunts, which could require some levels of other Haunts and act on the same principles. Something like requiring levels on The Tomb to get a general purpose healing for humans and sin-eaters. Could even have multiple levels, the first healing bashing and lethal and the second healing aggravated and tilts, or something like that. (I mean, not like it's hard to implement, it would be pretty much just what I described, perhaps adding the same requirements of learning a regular new Haunt, it would just be neat if that was a default thing they took into consideration).

Comment

Another possibility could be to design a ceremony that allows to use plasmic healing on another subject.
              You can also use the Shroud to Possess someone and heal him
              Last edited by Neos01; 01-01-2021, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Yeah it would have been really cool if this ability could be used for healing. Especially for the character I'm playing right now. After a three year hiatus of playing other games my group is going back to our Geist campaign and are almost done converting over to 2E. My character is big on the Tomb power and has 4 dots in medicine, but only 1 dot in intelligence and 4 points in dex. So while my ability to stop someone from bleeding out is good, my long term care is not so much. Being able to work his desire to heal, into this supernatural abilities, would have been really cool. Even without it though, I love this friggin haunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Emparawr View Post
                  Yeah it would have been really cool if this ability could be used for healing. Especially for the character I'm playing right now. After a three year hiatus of playing other games my group is going back to our Geist campaign and are almost done converting over to 2E. My character is big on the Tomb power and has 4 dots in medicine, but only 1 dot in intelligence and 4 points in dex. So while my ability to stop someone from bleeding out is good, my long term care is not so much. Being able to work his desire to heal, into this supernatural abilities, would have been really cool. Even without it though, I love this friggin haunt.
                  You could use a memento to do it or create a new haunt. I haven't looked into 2e as much as 1e but creating a new one shouldn't be out of the question. Though healing with deathly magic will probably have some issues associated with it. There is also the ceremony Mending the Mortal Coil in Geist 1E if you want to port that over to 2E.

Edit-reading mending the mortal coil I would suggest altering it in such a way that doesn't make it so unusable. There's a pretty huge roll on top of a really prohibitive cost.
                  Last edited by Epimetheus; 01-13-2021, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Draft

Mending the Mortal Coil (••••)
                    Plasm can keep a Sin-Eater alive even as his flesh is injured and torn. However, this is a temporary measure at best. Actual healing of wounds requires time, a further investiture of plasm, and a ceremony to stave off death.
                    Subject: One living being.
                    Duration: Permanent.
                    Symbols: Healing, Medicine, Repose
                    Rituals: Ritually cleanse the wounds with pure water or a disinfectant (alcohol works).
                    Dice Pool: Intelligence + Medicine - 1 per additional Lethal, or 2 bashing damage, healed.
                    Success: The target heals 1 point of Lethal (or 2 bashing) damage, plus whatever additional amount as determined in by the dice penalty. They gain the Mending Condition for 24hrs marked with the damage healed - so long as they have the Mending Condition, this Ceremony automatically fails.
                    Special: Bound can spend Plasm to negate the dice penalty on a 1-for-1 basis to a minimum of -0. This Ceremony only takes 10 minutes to perform.

Mending
                    Your wounds have been patched up with supernatural power while your body works to replace what was lost. This Condition is marked with the Damage to your Health boxes that was healed - so long as the Condition resolves, this healing is permanent, but if this Condition is removed early, the damage returns.
                    Resolution: Taking damage equal or greater than the damage healed. The effect expiring normally as determined by its cause.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

I would remove the penalties. That's way too restrictive imo.

Instead I'd go with this.

Dice Pool: Intelligence + Medicine
                      Success: The target heals 2 bashing per success, 1 lethal per success or 1 aggravated for 2 successes.
                      Special: Bound can spend plasm to grant a success on a 1 per 1 basis. This ceremony may only be preformed once per day. This ceremony takes one hour to preform.

My reasoning is that an intelligence + medicine pool will have at best 10 dice on average 6-8. That's not on the level of some supernaturals who can heal everyone every turn and as much as they want but it helps someone who needs it. The plasm to success is due to the fact that you could theoretically empty your reserves to save someone if you aren't careful. Geists get back plasm faster then most templates but it's still quite a big issue. The hour long duration is due to the ceremony rules of spending 15 minutes per dot of the ritual. While 10 minutes, probably wouldn't break the game, if they're not stabilized then they don't have ten minutes to stabilize.

I don't think creating a mending condition is the best way to represent a limitation on the ceremony.
                      Last edited by Epimetheus; 01-13-2021, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X