How to convert the Ghost Short Story “Midnight Movie” for the game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to convert the Ghost Short Story “Midnight Movie” for the game

At this point in the story the players are still human, and I wanted them to learn more about ghosts. Therefore I decided to use a short story that I recently read. (Learning about anchors, how to get rid of a ghost by destroying it OR how to help him move on.)

Summary:
    A director of cheesy old horror movies dies. His movies never reached a big audience, and now that he is dead he wants to change that.
    A guy, who buys his old TV, starts to see a blurred version of those movies in the middle of the night at max volume. By using certain parts of those movies etc. the ghost gets his message across. The guy is able to finally get two copies of the movies of that director. After watching them alone, he also asks a female colleague to join him for a horror movie night. Since her movies don’t work in the DVD player of the TV, they watch the movies of that director again while getting drunk. “Using his movies to get laid” makes the ghost mad and while the guy is still drunk they get into an argument that ends with the death of that guy. The ghost used figures from his movies, a mutated rat and a “panther woman” to kill that guy.

The last part is where I get into trouble. Is there anything close in the rules, maybe a numen or dread power, that would make something like that possible?
    The players were already at the crime scene and found the traces of those animals.

I hope using that story was not a big mistake...
    (I don’t want them to draw wrong conclusions because of that.)
    Last edited by Elythia; 05-16-2020, 05:28 PM.

Waiting for new Chronicles of Darkness Dice! 🤗 🎲

You read a story? Or you saw the movie of the same name? I wish I knew more about Geist, and the NWoD in general, but this is a rad way to go about playing the game, I'd say. Respect for that!

Comment

I don’t know of a numen that fits exactly but I would treat it like blast with the creatures only existing for a round, if the players have found traces of the animals then they can’t be just in the mind.

Comment

Originally posted by NuHxnger36 View Post
        You read a story? Or you saw the movie of the same name? I wish I knew more about Geist, and the NWoD in general, but this is a rad way to go about playing the game, I'd say. Respect for that!
        I read a short story called „Midnight Movie“. (To be more precise, I listened to it on Audible. 😅)
        Last edited by Elythia; 05-16-2020, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Live Bait View Post
          I don’t know of a numen that fits exactly but I would treat it like blast with the creatures only existing for a round, if the players have found traces of the animals then they can’t be just in the mind.
          At the moment I am thinking that I just let him appear as the characters/monsters of his movies, if he uses “Materialize“. Or I create an alternative version of „Mortal Mask“ for him. That way I can still use the existing rules without changing much. 😊

---
          Edit: Is there an option to delete a post? I wanted to create one reply not two.
          Last edited by Elythia; 05-16-2020, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X