Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body-Hopping Resurrection?

Alright, I just thought of something:

You know how Bound get back up after dying, and this kills some nearby maybe-innocent? What if, instead of copying their old body, they jumped into the guy who just dropped dead?

I'd run it like this:

1. The Bound is immediately refunded all of their Physical and Social Merits, and may immediately use them to buy up new Physical or Social merits reflecting their new body and their associates, as well as any Allies/Status/Retainers/etc that would be "in the know", and any innate social skill reflected in Merits (stuff like Fixer.) They may hold off on spending any of their new Merit dots (an option I don't see being taken very often, but it is there.)

Additionally, the player may optionally cash in any Merit dots they spent on the Professional Training Merit to purchase any combination of Professional Training, Language, or Multilingual, representing an altered background.

2. The Bound retains their Mental and Social Attributes and Skills, but gains the Physical Attributes and Skills of their new body; this includes Specialties. Over the course of the next few days, they raise (or lower) their Physical Attributes and Skills until they have an equal number of points compared to their original body; this happens at a rate of 3 dots of Skills and 1 dot of Attributes per day. They may not increase a skill's rating higher than their old body's rating.

They may also rearrange a single Specialty each day, replacing one of their new body's Specialties with one of their old ones; if, due to their resurrection, they would have more or less Specialties than they did before dying, they lose or gain Specialties accordingly.

3. [Mirrors] If you are using Motivations, they may optionally replace one of their Motivations with one belonging to their former body's owner.

4. [GMC] They may optionally replace one of their Aspirations with those of their new body's former inhabitant. Setting some stuff to rights, ya know? Last Will and Testament style stuff. For the purposes of GMC, I suggest that at least one Aspiration is related in some way to their death.

An Example: Coffee Shops can be Murder.

Neil is a recently Bound Sin-Eater, deciding to stop off in a little coffee shop to get a cuppa. His sheet looks like this right now (pertinent stuff only):

Aspirations:
    • Figure out what still being alive means.
    • Convince the Park to instate better safety procedures related to the bears.
    • Get these dead people to stop bothering me.
    Motivations: Duty, Faith, Patriotism

Strength ••, Dexterity ••, Stamina •••
    Athletics •••, Drive ••• (Off-Roads), Firearms ••, Survival ••• (Forests)
    Merits: Professional Training (Park Ranger*) ••, Contacts (Brown Bear State Park) ••, Hardy ••, Resources ••, Deathsight ••••

Just as he is sitting down to enjoy his coffee, a robber runs in and fires a shot at the ceiling.

Chaos. Everywhere.

Looking up, the man with the gun is pointing it at him. A bang. Nothing.

A stupid, stupid death.

Next time will be better.

Wait, next time?

He wakes up, gasping, on a gurney. His body feels... wrong. Too... small. His Geist, Road-Kill Buffet, is blabbering something in his ear about prices. He chances a look down.

First thing he notices is that his body is decidedly more... college-aged and female... than he remembers it. And then he sees the barrista uniform, smudged with blood where a bullet ripped through where his heart is. It was already healing.

Then he knows who he... is now. The girl who took his order; he has no reason to be certain, but he still is.

Oh well, life is life.

Congrats, Neil has just woken up in the body of Sofia, a college student struggling to pay for her cripplingly high tuition.

His player (arguably, her player, but let's not get into that.) looks at the general situation, and wants to swap out an Aspiration and a Motivation. He picks "Pay my way through college" as the new Aspiration, and Knowledge as the new Motivation.

His sheet now looks like:
    Aspirations:
    • Pay my way through college
    Motivations: Faith, Knowledge, Patriotism

Strength •, Dexterity •••, Stamina ••
    Athletics •• (Jogging), Drive •, Stealth
    Merits: Professional Training (Student) •, Contacts (University Times) •, Contacts (GCU History department) •, Multilingual (English, Spanish), Deathsight ••••, Resources •, Striking Looks •, Barfly ••

He retains his Contacts because they are a result of his Professional Training.

Over the course of the next day, his body reconfigures itself, gaining 1 dot of Strength, 2 dots of Firearms, and 1 dot of Drive. He also regains his Drive Specialty of Off-Road, leaving him looking like this:
    Aspirations:

Strength ••, Dexterity •••, Stamina ••
    Athletics •• (Jogging), Drive •• (Off-Road), Firearms ••, Stealth
    Merits: Professional Training (Student) •, Contacts (University Times) •, Contacts (GCU History department) •, Multilingual (English, Spanish), Deathsight ••••, Resources •, Striking Looks •, Barfly ••

Then, the next day, he gains a dot in Drive, Firearms, and Survival. His player decides to keep the Jogging specialty.

The final result is:

Aspirations:

Strength ••, Dexterity •••, Stamina ••
    Athletics •• (Jogging), Drive •• (Off-Road), Firearms ••, Stealth •, Survival ••

* Asset Skills: Animal Ken and Survival

I dunno, could be fun. It probably would be simpler to just let you cash in your Merit dots and pick up appropriate new merits, wouldn't it?

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Hmm, interesting, how about this option as a merit?

Actually, that would be interesting ,a line of resurrection merits that change the way sin-eaters come back.

Comment

May have to run this idea somewhere down the line.

Comment

Working...
      X