Fanmade Dead Dominions Anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fanmade Dead Dominions Anyone?

Hey was there any fanmade Dead Dominions or even Underworld Rivers in the old forums, or even RPG.net, or anywhere? For the life of me I can't recall ever seeing any, but this seems like the type of thing there would be fanmade stuff for. If anyone knows of any, or made any could you post them here?

I guess I'll start with something I just made for another thread. Feel free to suggest alterations to the mechanics.

New Underworld River

The River Mélancolique
    The River Mélancolique flows throw the banks of the underworld silent as a picture. The waters are colored with the hues of with the deep blues and purples of a starry night, the oranges and golds of one’s first dawn, and the scarlets of a bleeding heart. The river itself appears as if it is a two dimensional portrait but if one drinks of its brightly colored waters ones tongue tastes the bitterness of tears and ink. The properties of drinking the painted waters will allow one to see the emotions of sadness and longing appear as various shades of painted light. Add an equipment bonus of +3 for empathy rolls or rolls to notice or track the wistful. This will last until the drinker next cries, the tears of which will be bright colored paint.

It is a time for great deeds!

Why has nobody replied here yet? This topic is much needed!

I had a few ideas of my own, floating around. One was basically a Dominion in which the notion of anything alive was essentially banished. All the dead specters could do was sit in quiet contemplation. This reforced by the Kerberoi, essentially a large vase, who does this not so much by force, as by stealing the emotions of anyone in its cathedral-like Dominion. Once every so often, the vase-like Kerberoi spills over, and all the emorion comes pouring out in a huge feast in which the dead specters there can feel a fraction of what it felt like to be alive. For any still alive, its an explosion of estacy unlike anything the living world can offer (And thus rather addicting).
    I ultimately ended up not liking this idea, after i'de read Book of the Dead, which has that one Dominion with the obese Kerberos, Pleanty, lording over it. I guess my own Dominion felt too much like his. Might still use it, somehow, or twek it a bit.

I had this other idea, about a Dominion which was essentially a huge bleak stygian dessert waste. A Dominion that calls to all those ghosts, or living people, who for whatever reason feel grief or regret at some past happening. The Dominion pulls ghosts and underworld exploeres in, with the weight of their own guilt. Caught in a haze of hind-sight at the event that lead them here, they wander into a vast unending desolation, and when they realise they've entered the Dominion, its too late to turn back. The Dominion, and its Kerberoi guardian, wont let anyone leave who suffers guilt over a past grievance. The wasteland continues on for infinity, as the way-ward exploere becomes ever deeper mired in his frustration and rage over his own (in)actions.
    Essentially, its kinda like the Swamps of Sorrow from The Neverending Story, but with grief and a wasteland instead of sadness and a swamp. So basically that, but with a dessert, i guess.
    I still think this one is alright, albietly i haven't given it that much work yet, but explaining it here kinda made me renew my fervor for it. I dont know.

I had another idea which is extreamly unfinnished, about something of a road thats suposed to repressent life itself, which if you deviate from that path, would have dire consequences. But this is hardly past the brainstorm phase, so i wont bother you with half-baked ideas.

Additionally, i recently looked up the Aztec underworld of Xibalba. Read the Wikipedia article, and the Dominion practically writes itself.

Cheers ~ Krobeles.

Comment

I do have two domains I can throw up here. They're both nestled in the Autochthonous Depths, so they probably aren't real Dominions or real Kerberoi, but they do try to act it. (Yes, those are links to my original art for them.)

Don Charon's Customs Booth (x)

In the tunnels near a "subway station"-like Avernian Gate and a hub of paths into the dark, a small, collection of rooms and halls - almost entirely indistinguishable from those surrounding - has been claimed by, well, a very human looking specter and a dozen of his loyal servants. Only a simple sign on the walls lets you know that you're entering someplace different: "Bring Nothing, Take Nothing". The ghosts near the "entrances" of his "realm" are dressed in pale blue uniforms and caps, and if they notice anyone approaching (hardly a safe bet), they tell any carrying useful items to speak to the Kerberos (anything with an equipment bonus, essentially).

The "Kerberos" here dresses in a tuxedo made from coffin satin, and apart from his quill-like wisps of hair, slicked back with a black ooze, and the multiple rows of sharpened teeth, he looks entirely human. A much less lucid specter in a bed-sheet gown waits upon him with drinks and cocktail treats and cigars (or what passes for them in Below), while another records his business on stone tablets. The employee (for he does, in fact, hire ghosts to work for him) which few see is an unbound Geist which lurks, nearly invisible, to enforce for him.

Don Charon, as the Kerberos is called, is, quite simply, an Underworld smuggler. He moves goods and ghosts across the Depths in exchange for what valuables can be found. He takes the rule of his land seriously as well - unless you're there to buy a service, he will have you stripped of anything useful and turned out. Everything he's collected are stored in a cluster of rooms behind his parlor, neatly labeled "Acquisitions" - some of the finer momentos he's found are even on display. Even if his security is quite easy to sneak past, he tends to know when something goes missing. When his brutes catch up with thieves, one of two things happen: they are sold as a slave to a Kerberos deeper in the Underworld or, if they go to the quick lands, he demand they bring him something from the living world (and will even teach the "Funerary Tools" ceremony to do so). Anyone who fails to deliver at that point has a breath-stealing geist sent after them.

The Bounteous Feast (x)

In the Near Reaches beneath Chinatown is a "dead domain" of constant celebration. It mirrors the narrow streets and tall buildings above, with alleyways leading off, fire-escapes, even shops and apartments now all dead and empty and claimed by ghosts - at least the ones which can be entered. Around the feast, in the center of the street, there are lit paper lanterns and trashcan fires, and the air is perpetually thick with both volcano ash and paper confetti. The surrounding buildings are a "neighborhood" in the Autochthonous Depths, with plenty of tunnels leading away, but the feast rests on a fortunate spot where a lot of offerings and memento mori manifest in the Below. The smiling Kerberos at the head of the table (a skeleton in a kimono) offers a seat to any who wish to partake in the abundance of offerings (which variously restore Plasm, Health, and Willpower), but a simple rule hangs above him in a banner which stretches over the road: "Those Who Eat, Belong."

Any are welcome, but leaving as tricky. As soon as someone is done eating, they are pressed into service. Because this Kerberos likes a lively atmosphere, that usually entails being a waiter or being entertainment (or, for the terribly rude, the next course). Assume one scene of service per point recovered by eating.

Second Chance for

A Beautiful Madness

Comment

Great idea! There's only one custom Domain that's come up in my crossover chronicle so far (although the Library and Grave Dream have been mentioned) but it's rather significant to the setting. It leads straight to the River of Blood and the Gate is fairly simple to open, so the local Kindred are very interested in it. The Carthians had it at first but broke the Old Laws and the PCs reclaimed it. Currently, ownership is shared between the Invictus (who technically control the territory) and the Ordo Dracul (who have a Koagion PC guarding over it).

The Dream Factory

On a scorched, dead plain with a red sky lies the Kindred's oasis. Constantly arid and wracked with lightning strikes, few beings would willingly spend any time here. Until they see the River. Behind a rusted fence bearing a "Private Property - No Trespassing" sign every few feet is a tributary of the River of Blood. It's about this time that visitors tend to notice the massive plumes of black smoke rising in the distance. The path there is treacherous, as the weeping specters are possessed of a near-mindless hate of the living and are quite capable of flaying intruders with their rusty chains.

Anyone following the River will eventually find its source: a massive, smoke-belching factory bearing the sign "First Estate Industries". The massive art deco lobby is eerily silent and unlit save for the patches of red sky visible through the skylight above. Once visitors are inevitably drawn to the cracked screen behind the reception desk, the Factory's true purpose is revealed. A black and white film reminiscent of the worst public service announcements spins the tale of the First Lord, an elder vampire who sought to industrialize breeding humans for Kindred consumption. Though he failed, the Factory was created from his dream.

After the film, visitors are directed towards the processing wing for a tour. The only inhabitants are automatons: massive brass statues of perfectly-built naked men carrying bandoliers of iron javelins (the Manservants) and oversized bronze scarabs with flattened tops for carrying equipment (the "beetle bots"). The Manservants will offer crystalline goblets of blood to vampires and defend against aggressive acts. The Old Laws are prominently displayed in front of the tour entrance...
        While within the walls of the Factory and not in the Atrium please observe the following Rules for your own Safety:
        1. Keep not your Dreams hidden
        2. Remove not the Product, except in sanctioned Containers
        3. Inflict no harm on the Manservants that might impede their Work
        4. Touch not the Machinery; repairs are beneath your Kind
        5. Inflict no harm on the other Guests of the Factory
        6. Direct all Complaints to the Office of the Dreamsmith atop the Factory Tower
        Obey these Old Laws and the Protection and Service of the Factory and the Manservants will remain yours. Have a pleasant visit! It has been: 2 days without a workplace accident! Our pevious record was: 32,117 days!
        Various windows offer glimpses of the Factory's process, each accompanied by red buttons that trigger recording from the Dreamsmith (the Kerberos). Although direct interference with the machinery is forbidden, it seems to convert the incoming River of Dead Seed into the River of Blood through some arcane process. It involves transforming the bracken, seed-laden water into blood by infusing it with the crystalline tears of the native spirits. The most unusual thing, however, is the Vent. The very last thing on tour is a vertical glass pipe flowing with iridescent wisps. It is through this that the Kerberos learns the dreams of the world above and chooses some to make true. A gift shop offers sanctioned containers, stuffed scarabs, and other memorabilia for prices that clearly haven't been adjusted for inflation for a few decades.

Little is known of the Kerberos himself. Appearing as a rivet-covered humanoid of dull metal, he has a boiler for a mouth and two light bulbs for eyes. His dark green suit and top hat are aged but well-maintained. He is rather talkative and cheerful for a Kerberos and more than willing to entertain guests in his office high above the Atrium and explain his purpose: filtering dreams through the Vent for truly ambitious ones to help along. The Factor's current incarnation is merely one of the few that required him to build in the Underworld. Wise guests will note that the Vent allows him to access all of the dreams of every being in the world.

If he has that kind of control over the Domain, what was there before he built the Factory?

Comment

I haven't given this much thought as it's hard to come up with good ideas. I do have an inkling of an idea though. An area of the underworld modeled on the 7 deadly sins and ruled by the septum 7 kerobi that govern the dominion. I'm thinking of heavily relying on Dante's inferno here though with only 7 levels. Perhaps a good twist would be that all 7 members of the septum are one of the same beast. (Kind of like a demonic trinity sorry if that offends).

I love the ideas you guys have so far.
          Last edited by inspectorjavert; 03-22-2014, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Don't know if this is actually that good for a Dead Dominion, or just some particularly 'lively' part of the Underworld, but heres something I've been working on for my own Sin-Eater Chronicle:

The Gallery of Death:
            People say no two deaths are the same. Each is a deeply personal experience held only by the victim, and nobody else. They could not be more wrong.
            Somewhere down in the Dead Dominons, between three and four rivers deep, is a place where death has become an art. Not in any allegorical form either, no. Here, in this stygian museum, the walls are lined with paintings and its halls filled with sculptures all depicting death in its horrid variety of forms. Spines cracked under stone, skulls smashed by war and lungs eaten by foul disease are the vestments that The Gallery garb itself in. To each piece of 'art' stands a figure, a person, a thing. These horrid specters are the models of the art, forever drawn here by the pieces they are 'immortalised' in, tasked with recounting their tale of death and explaining the art to any visitor that inquires. The newly arrivived models seem to take to it with an almost droning and mindless demeanor, while those unfortunates who have lingered here for hundreds - if not thousands of years - seem to have an almost gleeful shine to them, as they explain in avid detail the emotions and thoughts they had at the moment the art captures. They explain in so artistic detail, and the pieces of art are so realistic, that anyone listening to them, most succeed on a Resolve+Composure, or leave the scene in disgust. This is role only needs to be succeeded once, at which point the character has been desensitized to that particular piece.

The security here are tight and efficient, enforced by the tall dark men, who stand motionless at every corner and piece of art work. These things does not speak or move, save to inform tresspassers of their violations and meet out the punishment as dictated by the head of the Gallery, the dread Curator. This being, the Kerberoi of The Gallery, is a great being, with elongated and gangly limbs, dressed in something that looks like a strange mix between mens formal work attire, and a womans elaborate grieving gown, compleate with veil, black gloves and train that drags, as it walks with purpose down the halls. When it speaks, it does so with a suprisingly soft and welcomming voice, and is always polite, even to transgressors. When not busy in its 'office' located at the end of the hall that forms the central part of The Gallery, it is seen walking the halls, seemingly inspecting the place, wordlessly making sure that all is as it should be.

The structure of The Gallery is that of the afformentioned central hall way. At one end of this is the entrance, and at the other, The Curators office. This central hall is addorned with all the pieces of death, which is of a timeless nature. Death by old age, death by unarmed beating, death by falling, and so forth. All deaths which is not limited by time and has been with humanity since we died, are what exists here. This also means that the models here, are some of the more talkative, and this fact might easily scare away people who haven't set their determination upon the place.
            From this central hall, brances differing halls dedicated to a Threshold each, each of which are divided into minor rooms dedicated to certain more specific types of death.
            The Torn Threshold-hall has a room specifically for War, while the Stricken Threshold-hall has a room specifically for Cancer and the Silent Threshold-hall has a room for Suicide and so on.
            The Gallery is not a closed fortress either. It is an artful institution, whose purpose is to teach willing guests in the arts it preaches, so anyone willing to pay a small Offrenda for entrance, are welcome to roam the halls and behold its works.

Who makes the pieces of art, then? Is it The Curator? The models themselves? Does the scene the pieces depict create said scene, or does the scene invoke the piece? Only one thing is certain; The Curator does not create the pieces, he commissions them. Whenever a new form of death arises, The Curator commissions an artist to create a piece for his gallery. Who is this artist? Where is he?
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats about the flavor of it. I've left the artist purposely vague, so you guys can fill that blank yourselves. Perhaps even have The Curator do it. In my own chronicle, which is set in the 1800-hundreds, The Curator has just commissioned a large number of pieces, depicting deaths by technological means, I.E car wrecks, boiler room explosions and train accidents, which is not will draw my group to this realm.
            I am thinking of having the careful study of the different kinds of death, especially your own Threshold, give some kind of mechanical benefit. Dont really know what it would be yet. I would probably also include a deranged Necromancer-Mage who had spend a bit too much time down there, seeking knowledge of death. He would be very knowledable, but not quite right in the skull, after having immersed himself in death for so very long.
            Anyway. Thats my 5 cents. Tell me if you have any ideas for improvements, or whatever. I'll be glad to hear it.

Cheers ~ Krobeles

Comment

Here's something I came up with some time ago, I've never actually played more than two sessions of Geist and thus have never managed to bring it into play, but maybe one of you will find use for it:
              Sikanie, the River of Piss:

Flowing ever downwards through the lower regions of the Underworld (Sikanie is never the first river crossed during a voyage into the Lower Depths), this river runs warm and surprisingly thick, and a foul-smelling steam rises from its waters at the rapids. Actually drinking the hot urine is, to say the least, an ordeal, but Sin-Eaters have found that those who drink from the river have an easier time crossing the rivers that divide the Lower Depths; in game terms, drinking from the Sikanie before crossing allows one of the Bound to cross it regardless of their Psyche score, and reduces the Psyche required to cross any rivers deeper in the Underworld by one (as though they had not had to cross the river of piss) In addition, once a Sin-Eater has crossed the river, they will have an easier time finding their next destination; their next Survival roll made in the Underworld gains a +2 bonus.
              However, the yellow waters of the river Sikanie run only down: crossing the river to pass deeper into the Underworld and crossing back on the way up to the living world are two different tasks entirely. When it comes time for a Sin-Eater to cross the Sikanie again, count the river as having a Psyche requirement equal to the total number of rivers crossed on this voyage (no longer subtracting the river of piss) plus one. Sin-Eaters who cannot meet this Psyche requirement must either raise their Psyche, find another path out of the Underworld, or find one of the rare ferrymen of this river. Since most crossing this river can do so with ease, the boatmen of the Sikanie have learned that anyone who flags them down is in dire straights, and will charge their passengers truly exorbitant rates.
              Last edited by QuatreVingts; 07-21-2014, 01:37 AM. Reason: noticed overuse of a word and it was bugging me

Comment

Did this a while back, based on one of the 1000 Hells.
                Kakuri - The Night Realm

Some believe that even conceptual things, such as justice and honor, die along with those that lived by them. If this is the case, what happens to these ideals and philosophies? Do they leave a presence within a place like the Underworld? Kakuri holds the answer.
                A barren place of corruption and endless shadow, Kakuri is a frozen kingdom without honor and compassion. Here, the dead wander aimlessly through the dark, without the warmth of body or spirit, as all hope is dashed away in a blizzard of self-contempt. The ghosts of virtue do not linger here. Rather, Kakuri is a realm that exemplifies what happens when virtue is left for dead.

--> Getting There
                Why anyone would willing seek out Kakuri is beyond most concepts of sanity. Pass three rivers and look for the darkest path you can find. If you feel a decline in temperature, you're getting warmer. If you hear the howling of wind, you're almost there. And if you find lamp posts containing blue fire that gives off no heat, while thick layers of snow crunch hard under your feet, you've found it.

Description
                Kakuri is a place of darkness. It snows constantly, even though underground, and any flames that are lit turn eerily blue, becoming devoid of heat and warmth. The Kerberos who rules this domain is Enma-O, though whether he is truly the God of Death with same name is still questioned.
                Cruel and without honor, Enma-O exists as a tyrant within Kyuden-no-Kakuri, an obsidian palace built like that of a feudal Japanese castle, standing atop an enormous peak that overlooks much of the kerberos' domain. Indeed, none can even recall a time when the dark daimyo didn't rule from the wretched keep.
                Regarding the Old Laws, Kakuri holds towards the ideals of dishonor and oppression towards those too weak to find solace on their own. Sin Eaters are treated well, being considered as those who have bested Death, and therefore strong enough to warrant affection--unless they break the law or anger Enma-O, then the kerberos sends out his shikome, demonic women that are immune to the cold, and enjoy tormenting those that become attracted to their appearance.

Geography

The Deep Lands
                The name of the empty, snow-covered lands that travelers see all across Kakuri is collectively called Soko-no-Kuni (the Deep Lands). It is a hazardous place made only traversable by the blue ghost-lights that poke mark the darkness. Sin-eaters who traverse the deep lands must roll an extended Stamina + Survival check every 30 minutes to navigate the cold, taking a -3 if they walk too far away from the ghost lights. If they fail, they take 1 bashing, regardless of whatever clothing they're wearing.

While in the deep lands, sin-eaters are likely to come caravans of ghosts, shikome, or worse, the kumo, Enma-O's elite. But still is there another whom travelers might meet. Through the sound of chimes that sing louder than the howls of the storm, he comes. Dressed in the black and saffron robes of a monk, carrying a brass sounding staff, he who is Jizo-Bosatsu hushes the wind of all its thunder.

Hovel Town
                Known as Abaraya Machi by those native to Japan, this town sits below the steep climb leading to Enma-O's castle. Here, psychopomps and Sin Eaters alike build igloos from the ever present ice, having long discovered that the cold wind can paradoxically be held back this way. Numerous ghost-lights stand to reveal the town's streets and borders, allowing people to see from a distance the only place of shelter for miles around.

The Cave of Maidens
                Home of the shikome, Otome-no-Dōkutsu is disguised as a refuge for the weak and weary. It is, in fact, a trap set to further torment and humiliate the souls of the dead. The walls of the cavern are pearlescent, seeming to almost glow with light. Strange fungi grows here that smells and tastes of honeyed rice. (Eating the fungi immediately sates the body's need for food, but it's addictive, and causes minor hallucinatory effects). Most important of all, the frigid wind outside fades away the deeper one traverses.

Whenever a ghost or sin-eater enters the cave, a fellow "refugee" of the realm appears to greet them. The refugee is always female (being a shikome in disguise), but regardless of the newcomer's gender, she will always try to seduce them. If she fails, the shikome leads the traveler(s) to the rest of her kin, who each attempt to show off their looks, talents, and personality.

If any succeed in attracting the interloper, or if they are all denied, the shikome will act on a signal and start accusing the newcomer of doing something of foul taste, such as theft, rape, or murder. If the newcomers haven't realized the trap, they soon do as the shikome attack en masse till the intruders leave the cave.

Despite the wretched inhabitants, the cave itself is not evil. Rather, hidden at the end of it, and unknown to even most of the shikome, lies the entrance to the dead dominion of the Ainu people. Only those of Ainu descent may enter this place, and it is only these people that the shikome find invisible to their senses. Even those who are not Ainu, however, can find reason to seek the entrance, for a tranquil spring lies just before it. The pure water of the spring is endowed with essence, and grants a number of plasma to sin-eaters equal to 1 per mouthful.

Kyuden-no-Kakuri
                The obsidian keep is both breathtaking and terrible in its design. Guarded by the kumo, the most powerful of Enma-O's shikome, the castle of Kakuri is nearly impossible to reach save through a narrow pass near hovel town. Even if one managed to make it to the keep, the structure seems so heavily fortified and built into the summit that holds it up that nothing short of divine intervention would be capable of raising it to the ground.

Few ever visit this place. Those who do have generally gained enough of Enma-O's attention to deserve audience with him, though this can be a mixed blessing in and of itself.

The Old Laws

• The Law of Servitude
                All ghosts must obey those who have bested them in a contest.
                Although Sin Eaters are not forced to endure this, ghosts must obey anyone who has defeated them in a contest of sorts, regardless of fairness. This means if a ghost loses in a simple game of poker, he has to do whatever his opponent says, unless it breaks an Old law. Now, these orders can also be resisted if the ghost has left Kakuri since their defeat, or if they best their tormentor in another form of contest, but otherwise they are susceptible to suggestion, with the winner having a +5 to all persuasion and intimidation rolls against the loser.

• The Law of Tribute
                You must leave an offering in Kakuri, in order to leave at all.
                If Kakuri cannot keep you, it will keep something belonging to you. That is what this law demands. If you go anywhere near the other side of the river, a massive storm of snow and ice blocks your path and eventually leads you back to the dead dominion of Kakuri, where the guardians are surely waiting to punish you. Only items of significance work as offerings. Items that are precious or magical in nature must be announced as sacrifices before they fade from existence, trapped within the Vault of Enma-O's castle.

• The Law of Restraint
                None may harm the shikome, even if assaulted.
                By far one of the worst of Kakuri's laws, and the bane of any vigilante seeking justice. The shikome are basically untouchable without bringing down the wrath of the entire dominion, and the she-demons know it. Even if they attack you, never are you allowed to fight back. All you can hope to do is outrun them, or endure their torture till they get bored and leave.

• The Law of Ice & Snow
                Those who succumb to the chill must be left behind.
                When anyone, living or dead, allows themselves to fall prone to the cold despair of Kakuri, none may help them. They must free themselves of their misery, or become a part of the dead dominion's frozen wastes.

Denizens

Shikome, the Chilling Ones
                Quote: <Cruel, mocking laughter>
                Background: The shikome are geists native to Kakuri, born from the souls of mad and tortured women that gave into the cold of the dead dominion. Without question, they follow Enma-O's orders, and do so with pleasure. Those that prove themselves worthy enough become kumo, the daimyo's personal bodyguards and elite assassins. It is only towards Enma-O that the shikome show any kind of genuine love or sympathy, considering him a lover and father-figure because of how he respects them. But that does not mean he cares, for he is quick to punish those who displease him, and the shikome know it.
                Appearance: Upon swearing fealty to the dark daimyo, all shikome become eerily beautiful, ranging from skinny and frail, to fat and corpulent, depending on the mood that strikes their master. Every shikome, however, has some key flaw with their appearance that betrays their nature to anyone observing them, which they either try to conceal as best they can, or show it off as a "symbol of office."
                Storytelling Hints: These geists are master manipulators and deceivers. They will lie, cheat, and steal whenever it serves to forward their goals or those of Enma-O. If any try to seduce them, they will play along till they get bored, generally calling for backup in the form of a shrill cry. Players, however, can choose to have a shikome as a geist upon gaining their storyteller's permission. Common sin-eaters that shikome cling to are the Silent, and prefer fellow women over men (though Enma-O sometimes has a sick sense of humor, and binds a shikome to a male host.)
                Attributes: Power 4, Finesse 4, Resistance 2
                Willpower: 6
                Virtue: Justice
                Vice: Wrath
                Initiative: +6
                Defense: 4
                Speed: 18
                Size: 5
                Corpus: 7
                Essense: 8
                Key: Cold-Wind
                Numina: Compulsion (8 dice), Chorus (8 dice)

Izanami, Queen of the Frozen Wastes
                Quote: Am I pretty?
                Background: Mistress of the shikome and leader of the kumo, Izanami is Enma-O's second-in-command. As cold as ice, Izanami is both cunning and frighteningly observant, both in and out of combat, able to identify key flaws within a strategy or argument. Not even to her "daughters" is she the least bit sympathetic, speaking little to them save with regards to the hunt.
                Appearance: Unlike the others, Izanami wears a noh mask at all times, some saying to conceal a face that is rotten and festering with maggots. In response, Izanami generally hunts these people down, the last thing they seeing being what lies under that mask.
                Storytelling Hints: Izanami is resentful of anyone she perceives as attractive, and will generally harass such people till they are broken or able to best her in combat. One of her greatest secrets, however, is that she cannot stand the sight of her own reflection. If she takes off her mask, and sees her own face, she will break down into tears and become completely helpless for a time.
                Attributes: Power 8, Finesse 9, Resistance 7
                Willpower: 15
                Vice: Envy
                Initiative: 17
                Defense: 9
                Speed: 27 (Species Factor 10)
                Corpus: 12 (Size 5)
                Essence: 25
                Key: Cold-Wind, Stillness
                Manifestations: Rage 2, Marionette 1, Boneyard 2
                Numina: Whatever the Storyteller deems appropriate. (Default to Compulsion, Ghost Sign, Ghost Speech, Terrify)

Enma-O, the Daimyo of the Dark
                Quote: Forever shall my hatred burn cold with contempt.
                Background: According to legend, Enma-O was once the guide of the dead for the Ainu people, who once lived on the islands of Japan. Even as he gained more power, he was gracious towards his charges, and was a protector of the good. Tragically, in the year of 2000 B.C.E, the Ainu were decimated by the Japanese. It is theorized that the Enma-O of Kakuri is the manifestation of the Ainu's mutilated perception of death as their way of life was completely wiped out. Combining this with the Japanese misunderstanding of Enma-O's role as a malevolent god of death led to the creation of a monster.
                The kerberos of Kakuri is cold, calculating, and merciless in his actions. Only in the ritual of having his shikome bind and flay him for his wickedness does he show some twisted sign of humanity. Even during this period of vulnerability, the daimyo hides behind the walls of his obsidian castle, never satisfied with the torments that have been brought upon the ghosts that reside within his domain.
                Appearance: Enma-O appears as a giant of a man, with a long white beard and flowing hair that seems to levitate about his person. Beneath a billowing robe deep blue, his hairy flesh is jet-black and riddled with scars, and his featureless eyes glow with malice.
                Attributes: Power 14 Finesse 9 Resistance 14
                Willpower: 28
                Virtue: Fortitude
                Initiative: 23
                Defense: 14
                Speed: 33 (Species Factor 10)
                Corpus: 19 (Size 6)
                Essence Per Turn: 50/10
                Keys: Cold-Wind, Passion, Stillness
                Manifestations: Rage 5, Marionette 5, Boneyard 4, Oracle 3
                Numina: Whatever the Storyteller deems appropriate.
                Attacks: Nihon-To, Ainu Sword - 3L (11 dice)

Jizo-Bosatsu, the Honorable One
                Quote: What ails you, my friend?
                Background: If there exists any solace within the Night realm, it is the presence of Jizo. Few truly know who or what he is, for he is neither ghost, nor mortal, though some truly believe he is the buddha of legend. He walks the deep lands without ever succumbing to the dead dominion's chill, and whenever he is seen, it is in the tranquility of the snow, as the chimes of his brass sounding staff silences the wind.
                If one ever speaks with him, he appears calm and always smiling as he speaks soft words of comfort to any and all, even the shikome, who sob and wail in his presence before fleeing into the darkness. It is this reason and more that makes Enma-O terrified of Jizo, as the monk is immune to the Old Laws, yet rather than strike the Kerberos down, shows restraint as he releases the souls trapped in the ice one by one, no matter how deep they are.
                Sin-eaters, or anyone for that matter, who meet with Jizo may find valuable information on Kakuri, or something spiritually relevant to the Underworld. If asked, Jizo can bestow a blessing onto the characters that make them immune to Enma-O's powers and Kakuri's Old Laws, under the condition they abstain from attacking the kerberos directly. If the characters wish to attack Jizo, for whatever reason, they suffer a -5 penalty to attack rolls, and even if they do succeed, the monk simply vanishes into thin air.
                Appearance: The smiling monk always appears as a middle aged man of one Asian heritage or another. He wears a straw hat, a black-and-saffron robe, and carries a brass sounding staff as he walks sandal footed through the snow without difficulty.
                Storytelling Hints: Jizo has no official traits. This is intentional, since there are many possibilities for what his origin may be. He could be a vampire who found Golconda, or an archmage who chose to become a saint. Perhaps he is a powerful spirit, or even a god. Whatever he may be, it is left to the storyteller to decide.
                Last edited by MrParaduo; 07-17-2014, 04:30 PM.

nWoD Warhammer Fantasy RPG,
                WoD Wraith: The Oblivion
                and Infernum-style Demon: The Descent, Shadows of Abaddon --> http://madnessforums.com/forums/inde...opic,26.0.html

Comment

Originally posted by MrParaduo View Post
                  Did this a while back, based on one of the 1000 Hells.
                  Kakuri - The Night Realm

Some believe that even conceptual things, such as justice and honor, die along with those that lived by them. If this is the case, what happens to these ideals and philosophies? Do they leave a presence within a place like the Underworld? Kakuri holds the answer.
                  A barren place of corruption and endless shadow, Kakuri is a frozen kingdom without honor and compassion. Here, the dead wander aimlessly through the dark, without the warmth of body or spirit, as all hope is dashed away in a blizzard of self-contempt. The ghosts of virtue do not linger here. Rather, Kakuri is a realm that exemplifies what happens when virtue is left for dead.

--> Getting There
                  Why anyone would willing seek out Kakuri is beyond most concepts of sanity. Pass three rivers and look for the darkest path you can find. If you feel a decline in temperature, you're getting warmer. If you hear the howling of wind, you're almost there. And if you find lamp posts containing blue fire that gives off no heat, while thick layers of snow crunch hard under your feet, you've found it.

Description
                  Kakuri is a place of darkness. It snows constantly, even though underground, and any flames that are lit turn eerily blue, becoming devoid of heat and warmth. The Kerberos who rules this domain is Enma-O, though whether he is truly the God of Death with same name is still questioned.
                  Cruel and without honor, Enma-O exists as a tyrant within Kyuden-no-Kakuri, an obsidian palace built like that of a feudal Japanese castle, standing atop an enormous peak that overlooks much of the kerberos' domain. Indeed, none can even recall a time when the dark daimyo didn't rule from the wretched keep.
                  Regarding the Old Laws, Kakuri holds towards the ideals of dishonor and oppression towards those too weak to find solace on their own. Sin Eaters are treated well, being considered as those who have bested Death, and therefore strong enough to warrant affection--unless they break the law or anger Enma-O, then the kerberos sends out his shikome, demonic women that are immune to the cold, and enjoy tormenting those that become attracted to their appearance.

Geography

The Deep Lands
                  The name of the empty, snow-covered lands that travelers see all across Kakuri is collectively called Soko-no-Kuni (the Deep Lands). It is a hazardous place made only traversable by the blue ghost-lights that poke mark the darkness. Sin-eaters who traverse the deep lands must roll an extended Stamina + Survival check every 30 minutes to navigate the cold, taking a -3 if they walk too far away from the ghost lights. If they fail, they take 1 bashing, regardless of whatever clothing they're wearing.

While in the deep lands, sin-eaters are likely to come caravans of ghosts, shikome, or worse, the kumo, Enma-O's elite. But still is there another whom travelers might meet. Through the sound of chimes that sing louder than the howls of the storm, he comes. Dressed in the black and saffron robes of a monk, carrying a brass sounding staff, he who is Jizo-Bosatsu hushes the wind of all its thunder.

Hovel Town
                  Known as Abaraya Machi by those native to Japan, this town sits below the steep climb leading to Enma-O's castle. Here, psychopomps and Sin Eaters alike build igloos from the ever present ice, having long discovered that the cold wind can paradoxically be held back this way. Numerous ghost-lights stand to reveal the town's streets and borders, allowing people to see from a distance the only place of shelter for miles around.

The Cave of Maidens
                  Home of the shikome, Otome-no-Dōkutsu is disguised as a refuge for the weak and weary. It is, in fact, a trap set to further torment and humiliate the souls of the dead. The walls of the cavern are pearlescent, seeming to almost glow with light. Strange fungi grows here that smells and tastes of honeyed rice. (Eating the fungi immediately sates the body's need for food, but it's addictive, and causes minor hallucinatory effects). Most important of all, the frigid wind outside fades away the deeper one traverses.

Whenever a ghost or sin-eater enters the cave, a fellow "refugee" of the realm appears to greet them. The refugee is always female (being a shikome in disguise), but regardless of the newcomer's gender, she will always try to seduce them. If she fails, the shikome leads the traveler(s) to the rest of her kin, who each attempt to show off their looks, talents, and personality.

If any succeed in attracting the interloper, or if they are all denied, the shikome will act on a signal and start accusing the newcomer of doing something of foul taste, such as theft, rape, or murder. If the newcomers haven't realized the trap, they soon do as the shikome attack en masse till the intruders leave the cave.

Despite the wretched inhabitants, the cave itself is not evil. Rather, hidden at the end of it, and unknown to even most of the shikome, lies the entrance to the dead dominion of the Ainu people. Only those of Ainu descent may enter this place, and it is only these people that the shikome find invisible to their senses. Even those who are not Ainu, however, can find reason to seek the entrance, for a tranquil spring lies just before it. The pure water of the spring is endowed with essence, and grants a number of plasma to sin-eaters equal to 1 per mouthful.

Kyuden-no-Kakuri
                  The obsidian keep is both breathtaking and terrible in its design. Guarded by the kumo, the most powerful of Enma-O's shikome, the castle of Kakuri is nearly impossible to reach save through a narrow pass near hovel town. Even if one managed to make it to the keep, the structure seems so heavily fortified and built into the summit that holds it up that nothing short of divine intervention would be capable of raising it to the ground.

Few ever visit this place. Those who do have generally gained enough of Enma-O's attention to deserve audience with him, though this can be a mixed blessing in and of itself.

The Old Laws

• The Law of Superiority
                  All ghosts must obey the orders of those who have bested them in a contest.
                  Although Sin Eaters are not forced to endure this, ghosts must obey anyone who has defeated them in a contest of sorts, regardless of fairness. This means if a ghost loses in a simple game of poker, he has to do whatever his opponent says, unless it breaks an Old law. Now, these orders can also be resisted if the ghost has left Kakuri since their defeat, or if they best their tormentor in another form of contest, but otherwise they are susceptible to suggestion, with the winner having a +5 to all persuasion and intimidation rolls against the loser.

• The Law of Tribute
                  You must leave an offering in Kakuri, in order to leave at all.
                  If Kakuri cannot keep you, it will keep something belonging to you. That is what this law demands. If you go anywhere near the other side of the river, a massive storm of snow and ice blocks your path and eventually leads you back to the dead dominion of Kakuri, where the guardians are surely waiting to punish you. Only items of significance work as offerings. Items that are precious or magical in nature must be announced as sacrifices before they fade from existence, trapped within the Vault of Enma-O's castle.

• The Law of Restraint
                  None may harm the shikome, even if assaulted.
                  By far one of the worst of Kakuri's laws, and the bane of any vigilante seeking justice. The shikome are basically untouchable without bringing down the wrath of the entire dominion, and the she-demons know it. Even if they attack you, never are you allowed to fight back. All you can hope to do is outrun them, or endure their torture till they get bored and leave.

• The Law of Ice & Snow
                  Those who succumb to the chill must be left behind.
                  When anyone, living or dead, allows themselves to fall prone to the cold despair of Kakuri, none may help them. They must free themselves of their misery, or become a part of the dead dominion's frozen wastes.

Denizens

Shikome, the Chilling Ones
                  Quote: <Cruel, mocking laughter>
                  Background: The shikome are geists native to Kakuri, born from the souls of mad and tortured women that gave into the cold of the dead dominion. Without question, they follow Enma-O's orders, and do so with pleasure. Those that prove themselves worthy enough become kumo, the daimyo's personal bodyguards and elite assassins. It is only towards Enma-O that the shikome show any kind of genuine love or sympathy, considering him a lover and father-figure because of how he respects them. But that does not mean he cares, for he is quick to punish those who displease him, and the shikome know it.
                  Appearance: Upon swearing fealty to the dark daimyo, all shikome become eerily beautiful, ranging from skinny and frail, to fat and corpulent, depending on the mood that strikes their master. Ever shikome, however, has some key flaw with their appearance that betrays their nature to anyone observing them, which they either try to conceal as best they can, or show it off as a "symbol of office."
                  Storytelling Hints: These geists are master manipulators and deceivers. They will lie, cheat, and steal whenever it serves to forward their goals or those of Enma-O. If any try to seduce them, they will play along till they get bored, generally calling for backup in the form of a shrill cry. Players, however, can choose to have a shikome as a geist upon gaining their storyteller's permission. Common sin-eaters that shikome cling to are the Silent, and prefer fellow women over men (though Enma-O sometimes has a sick sense of humor, and binds a shikome to a male host.)
                  Attributes: Power 4, Finesse 4, Resistance 2
                  Willpower: 6
                  Initiative: +6
                  Defense: 4
                  Speed: 18
                  Corpus: 7
                  Essense: 8
                  Numina: Compulsion (8 dice), Chorus (8 dice)

Izanami, Queen of the Frozen Wastes
                  Quote: Am I pretty?
                  Background: Mistress of the shikome and leader of the kumo, Izanami is Enma-O's second-in-command. As cold as ice, Izanami is both cunning and frighteningly observant, both in and out of combat, able to identify key flaws within a strategy or argument. Not even to her "daughters" is she the least bit sympathetic, speaking little to them save with regards to the hunt.
                  Appearance: Unlike the others, Izanami wears a noh mask at all times, some saying to conceal a face that is rotten and festering with maggots. In response, Izanami generally hunts these people down, the last thing they seeing being what lies under that mask.
                  Storytelling Hints:
                  Attributes: Power 4, Finesse 6, Resistance 2
                  Willpower:
                  Vice: Envy
                  Initiative:
                  Defense:
                  Speed:
                  Corpus:
                  Essence:
                  Numina:

Enma-O, the Daimyo of the Dark
                  Quote: Forever shall my hatred burn cold with contempt.
                  Background: According to legend, Enma-O was once the guide of the dead for the Ainu people, who once lived on the islands of Japan. Even as he gained more power, he was gracious towards his charges, and was a protector of the good. Tragically, in the year of 2000 B.C.E, the Ainu were decimated by the Japanese. It is theorized that the Enma-O of Kakuri is the manifestation of the Ainu's mutilated perception of death as their way of life was completely wiped out. Combining this with the Japanese misunderstanding of Enma-O's role as a malevolent god of death led to the creation of a monster.
                  The kerberos of Kakuri is cold, calculating, and merciless in his actions. Only in the ritual of having his shikome bind and flay him for his wickedness does he show some twisted sign of humanity. Even during this period of vulnerability, the daimyo hides behind the walls of his obsidian castle, never satisfied with the torments that have been brought upon the ghosts that reside within his domain.
                  Appearance: Enma-O appears as a giant of a man, with a long white beard and flowing hair that seems to levitate about his person. Beneath a billowing robe deep blue, his hairy flesh is jet-black and riddled with scars, and his featureless eyes glow with malice.
                  Attributes: Power 7 Finesse 4 Resistance 4
                  Willpower: 11
                  Virtue: Fortitude
                  Initiative: +8
                  Defense: 7
                  Speed: 21
                  Corpus: 10
                  Essence Per Turn: 20/3
                  Keys: Cold-Wind, Passion
                  Manifestations: Rage 3, Boneyard 2, Oracle 1
                  Numina: Enforcement (11 dice) Dominion Sense (11 dice)
                  Attacks: Nihon-To, Ainu Sword - 3L (11 dice)

Jizo-Bosatsu, the Honorable One
                  Quote: What ails you, my friend?
                  Background: If there exists any solace within the Night realm, it is the presence of Jizo. Few truly know who or what he is, for he is neither ghost, nor mortal, though some truly believe he is the buddha of legend. He walks the deep lands without ever succumbing to the dead dominion's chill, and whenever he is seen, it is in the tranquility of the snow, as the chimes of his brass sounding staff silences the wind.
                  If one ever speaks with him, he appears calm and always smiling as he speaks soft words of comfort to any and all, even the shikome, who sob and wail in his presence before fleeing into the darkness. It is this reason and more that makes Enma-O terrified of Jizo, as the monk is immune to the Old Laws, yet rather than strike the Kerberos down, shows restraint as he releases the souls trapped in the ice one by one, no matter how deep they are.
                  Sin-eaters, or anyone for that matter, who meet with Jizo may find valuable information on Kakuri, or something spiritually relevant to the Underworld. If asked, Jizo can bestow a blessing onto the characters that make them immune to Enma-O's powers and Kakuri's Old Laws, under the condition they abstain from attacking the kerberos directly. If the characters wish to attack Jizo, for whatever reason, they suffer a -5 penalty to attack rolls, and even if they do succeed, the monk simply vanishes into thin air.
                  Appearance: The smiling monk always appears as a middle aged man of one Asian heritage or another. He wears a straw hat, a black-and-saffron robe, and carries a brass sounding staff as he walks sandal footed through the snow without difficulty.
                  Storytelling Hints: Jizo has no official traits. This is intentional, since there are many possibilities for what his origin may be. He could be a vampire who found Golconda, or an archmage who chose to become a saint. Perhaps he is a powerful spirit, or even a god. Whatever he may be, it is left to the storyteller to decide.
                  Think I saw this back on the old forums. Good stuff.

Comment

Thank you! It's actually one of my better homebrew pieces.

nWoD Warhammer Fantasy RPG,
                    WoD Wraith: The Oblivion
                    and Infernum-style Demon: The Descent, Shadows of Abaddon --> http://madnessforums.com/forums/inde...opic,26.0.html

Comment

I've written up a nWoD adaption of the Kingdom of Wire that has been expanded to include all the holocausts (Native American, Jewish, Russian, Chinese, etc) where the entire Domain is caught in the repeating behavior.

Been holding back on it due to the nature of the material though.

Comment

Originally posted by Shock View Post
                        Been holding back on it due to the nature of the material though.
                        Not too long ago, I saw a thread in which a dude suggested making an Inferno character who could shout profanities at people, and they would suffer bashing damage. If the target was a woman, not only would the roll benefit from 9-again, the target would also be overcome with waves of pleasure which coursed her to want more abuse! Also, his bodili fluids were addictive.
                        So essentially, this character yells at women that they're sluts and whores, untill they're overcome with waves of pain and pleasure, at which point he rapes them with his fucking addictive semen!
                        And you're holding back a murder-jamboree because you feel it might offend somebodies sensibillities? Really? Just bring it on, dude! It sounds bloody interesting!

Also, I'm not trying to put you down here. I just found it alittle bit funny, in contrast.

Comment

Runnel's Automotive (Autochthonous Depths location)

Runnel's Automotive used to operate off Highway 50, serving unlucky travelers as well as a nearby town of a few thousand people. Runnel was a skilled mechanic as well as a collector of old cars and auto parts, and although he was undeniably a crank all his life, for many years the quality and affordability of his work (not to mention the lack of another auto shop in a hundred-mile radius) meant the folks of the nearby town were happy to tolerate the proprietor's terse and occasionally outright rude manner. Well, Runnel wasn't the type to soften with age: in fact, just the opposite. As he got old (and according to some began to descend into psychosis) a "PRIVATE PROPERTY" sign popped up on the property 50 feet from the "OPEN" sign, and more and more potential customers were driven away from the place by the cursing old crank. People in town gossiped about Runnel a bit, but mostly put him and his business out of their minds; he seemed to want privacy, and folks gave it to him. In a few years, another mechanic had moved into town and opened a business within the city limits.

As Runnel sank into madness, he never hurt any of the "tresspassers" who came around the old property he no longer saw as an auto shop despite all its well-maintained signage; he tried only once, struggling with a tourist who came by with a busted taillight. This was his end. As Runnel threw himself on the surprised man, his visitor did the first thing that came to mind and shoved the old man backwards. Runnel stumbled backwards and, by bad luck or karma, fell backwards over the low fence around his property. He snapped his neck quite cleanly. The tourist, who was a physically strong man but also a coward, hopped right back in his vehicle and drove away, and by the time Runnel's corpse was found (over a month later) he had set up shop in a new location.

Runnel's Automotive currently operates off Route 666, the Underworld highway where carjacking victims, vanishing hitchhikers, and lost travelers go when the mortal world has forgotten them entirely. That said, nothing about his business practices has changed since his death:there's still an "OPEN" sign and a "PRIVATE PROPERTY" sign posted simultaneously, and visitors are met by a cursing old ghost with motor oil on his clothes and bug-eyes that gleam like headlights screaming "I guess you can't read, but there's a sign that says private property!" Runnel's shop is still perfectly equipped to do repairs, however, and when the man passed he took most of his collection of antique auto parts with him. Sin-Eaters may have to contend with Runnel to get a part needed to repair an antique car and put another ghost obsessing over it to rest, to get a vehicle for their journey into the depths (as some say Route 666 even includes brides over the rivers of the Underworld) or for a pet project of a Krewe member who's into classic cars. Although Runnel is almost impossible to pacify once angered by unannounced visitors, there is a way to gain his services: Runnel considers his shop to be open "by appointment only." Runnel's Automotive can be telephoned from any phone line in the Underworld; in fact, visitors have observed that he's usually on the phone in his office when people come by, at least before he runs out to drive them off. Of course, finding a phone line in the Underworld is no easy task, and contending with the dry-voiced operators of the line may be an ordeal unto itself...

(Should I stat up Runnel/write more Route 666 locations/flesh out the Underworld's phone service a bit more? Would people like that?)

Comment

New poster, necro-ing thread because I enjoy the general gist of it. Here are some ideas I'm kicking around for a chronicle I'm running. I'm new to designing for World of Darkness, so I'm leaving the mechanical element tentative at the moment:

Half Past Four On A Perfectly Ordinary Tuesday

Located two rivers down, the dead dominion called Half Past Four On A Perfectly Ordinary Tuesday is a silent and still place, showing a location seemingly frozen perpetually in time.

Getting There
                            Half Past Four On A Perfectly Ordinary Tuesday is relatively easy to reach, between the River of Lamentation and the River of Memory (though which is the upper boundary and which is the lower always seems to change.)

Description
                            The exact size of Half Past Four On A Perfectly Ordinary Tuesday is unknown – travel there is incredibly dangerous. The area that one emerges into is a vast open space that resembles a rural area in Europe or America at the turn of the 20th century. There is a farm house, several trees, and a few fields of cabbage.
                            It is always raining in Half Past Four On A Perfectly Ordinary Tuesday. The rain is frozen in place above the ground, and a moving body – visitor, spirit, etc. – carves a tunnel through the rain as they move. This is the primary means by which the Kerberos tracks visitors, as it creates a trail that can be easily followed.

The Old Laws
                            1. Silence. No sounds above a whisper are allowed in Half Past Four On A Perfectly Ordinary Tuesday.
                            2. Constancy. No objects can be taken or removed from Half Past Four On A Perfectly Ordinary Tuesday.
                            3. Stillness. The Kerberos will not abide motion in its presence, though it apparently will tolerate the appearance of new individuals. It will make an effort to repair the rain drops disturbed by people passing through.
                            4. Congruity. Any time-keeping devices that state day of the week or time must report that it is exactly 4:30 PM on a Tuesday (16:30 for Military and Continental European time,) alternatively, these devices can simply be deactivated.

Inhabitants
                            The Still are ghosts that simply do not move. Their eyes may observe people all around them, but they are imprisoned by their unwillingness to disturb the rain drops, meaning that they are absolutely motionless. They may mutter an answer to a question, but will do no more.

Tremulants are the servants of the Kerberos. They jitter and move when the Kerberos is absent, but remain absolutely still when their master is present. Through some unknown means, their faces have been removed completely, as well as all signs of age, race, and gender. They appear gray-skinned, nude, and have clock faces without hands in the place of their actual faces, with the word “NOW” scrawled across it.

The Kerberos is called The Perfecter. It appears as a silhouette within a cloud of electric blue smoke. The smoke moves more the further out from the figure, apparently turning into gray, solid stone near the middle. The Kerberos has no arms or legs, appearing simply to be a female torso hanging in mid-air with a face that is covered by a bronze mask – there are three eye-holes in the mask, one with a pink-rimmed eye looking left, one with a pink-rimmed eye looking right, and one (in the middle) with a pink-rimmed eye that moves independently. The left eye sees the future, the right eye sees the past, and it will often hover, simply watching, for hours at a time. It has a unique power, unknown anywhere else, though it rarely uses it: occasionally, it will send a visitor that has broken more than one law to a different point in time, where the visitor has twenty-four hours to complete some task.

The individual or group sent on this task arrives at 4:30 PM on a Monday, and vanishes when it reaches Half Past Four On (A Perfectly Ordinary) Tuesday.

This one is a bit less complete:

Zona 31 (Formerly "The Bone Forest")

One of the youngest, or most recently changed, Dead Dominions, Zona 31 is a vast space with a constant light snowfall, which alternates between actual snow and ash. The terrain is mostly flat and tundra-like, with only occasional trees, each with a skeleton set into it. There are signs that there were once many more trees, but now there are only stumps or deadfalls. A thin, watery light shines down from the ceiling, but the source cannot be seen through the clouds. The light cycles from dim to fairly bright on a 24-hour cycle. At its brightest, Sin-Eaters gain 1 plasm and ghosts gain 1 essence, but living individuals inside the Dead Dominion suffer from light radiation poisoning.

In the middle of Zona 31, there is a compound surrounded by a chainlink fence topped with razorwire. Many of the buildings show signs of having been repaired, and all of them are clustered around an old concrete building that somewhat resembles a nuclear reactor housing.

The Ghosts of Zona 31 are divided into three classes, but they are not the only inhabitants. The most numerous are the Rabotniki-- workers. They are basic ghosts with low stats and resemble burn victims. Closely resembling them are Commissars, who trade in the worker's coveralls for a military uniform and carry a bullhorn and a sidearm. Finally, there are the Rusalki, who are a vanishingly small number compared to the other two -- one out of a hundred, if that -- and resemble beautiful women.

The masters of Zona 31 are a Krewe of Sin-Eaters, a cell from a (possibly dead?) conspiracy. They are called the Zona 31 Vodyanoi, and are experienced Bound armed with the four-part Romanov Regalia -- the real weapons used to kill the Romanov family. There are four of them.

Their leader, and the Kerberos of the dominion is Kresnik. Kresnik was once a Sin-Eater, but died attempting to shut down the Zona 31 Reactor -- a nuclear power source meant to see if it might be possible to move the working parts into the Twilight. This project was called Zorja Vechernjaja, and it was intended to serve as the foundation for a nuclear weapon that would detonate in the twilight, causing untold spectral fallout.

Kresnik now does not leave the reactor room, resembling a carpet of black mold that occasionally extrudes a human-shaped pseudopod to communicate with the Zona 31 Vodyanoi, which it seems to have no affection for any longer, viewing them as tools, first and foremost.

Old Laws:
                            1. The Law of Identification. All visitors to Zona 31 must provide documentation of their presence – this may take the form of a driver's license or passport. Anyone not providing identification is captured and “Processed” – their fingerprints are taken, a quart of blood is taken, they are photographed, and are made to answer a series of questions. Those not willing to comply are taken to the Core.
                            2. The Law of Work. All inhabitants of Zona 31 are expected to put in eight hours of work a day at the direction of a commissar. Visitors are given three days to conduct their business (under the watchful eyes of a commissar,) before they are deemed immigrants and put to work. Anyone refusing to work, or preventing someone else from working, is in violation.
                            3. The Law of Access. Passing through the doorway or window of any building marked “Restricted” is a violation of the law. The chainlink fences are likewise covered by this law, but there is no mention of other sorts of apertures.

Last edited by CSummers; 03-21-2015, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X